Ddr2-800

Hey, I am getting a new system and I am looking for good DDR2-800 ram with the Micron D9 chips. So which do you think is the best, and why? If there is some other Micron D9 memory at NewEgg that is also good and in the same price range as the memory I listed then please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

All things being equal, go with the RAM that uses the lowest timings (CAS). What chip it uses is less important unless you intend to OC the RAM or push the timings past the specs.

The only ram modules that will guarantee that you get Micron IC’s is Crucial Memory. Other memory you can’t be too sure of. OCZ, some of their lower end use Promo IC’s and some of Corsair’s ram uses Promo IC’s also. The only memory that will guarantee you 100% Micron IC’s are Crucial Ram. Most of the top end ram are using Micron IC’s but you will have to do research on which model uses Micron’s or not. Otherwise you will have to contact the manufacturer. Usually OCZ and Corsair will tell you if it uses Micron IC’s or not if you ask them. A lot of reviews at NewEgg say that these G. Skills are Micron IC’s, don’t take my word for it though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=10&Page=3
Go with Crucial Ballistix, that’s the only guarantee you can get. Besides that, Micron IC’s will only benefit you if you decide to overclock your CPU (like E4300,E6300,E6400,E6600). Also beware that some motherboards are very picky with Micron IC’s.

Well there are a lot of people that don’t like OCZ ram and I am pretty sure mine does not have the Micron D9 chip but I am very happy with my OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel. It is quite a bit cheaper and overclocks very well. Way past where I want to push my machine, You can put the voltage at 2.2V ± 5%V and still be covered under the extended Voltage protection. I have never gone past 2.1 V and it is stable at 3600+. That is a 1200+ Mhz O/C and the ram will go higher but I won’t. I like my new chip enough not to burn it out in the fisrt 3 months. There is a little blurb here on the OCZ memory and a screen shot of mine running at 1-1 at DDR2 800 Mhz. A lot of people complain about this ram because it won’t boot to 800 Mhz 4-4-4-15t when bios is set to SPD but it is easy enough to set it manually. Of course when you O/C you have to loosen the timings because it won’t boot (but you can tweak the timings with memset if your board supports it). I agree with CDan the tighter timings are more important and just about all the manufactures offer 4 cas ram. My point is just because it’s cheaper doesn’t mean it’s bad. My two cents. :slight_smile:

Pretty much all of the overclocked RAM (900MHz, 1000MHz, 1066MHz etc) uses D9GMH. This is one of the best deals for guaranteed D9GMH RAM.

thats the cheapest I’ve ever seen ddr1066 :eek:

this stuff looks promising too:

lots of reviewers are reporting 900+mhz @ 4-4-3-5, 1000+ @ 4-4-4-12 and up to 1200+ @ 5-5-5-15 or 6-6-6-18

Yes it is. :iagree:

I have 6 GB of this F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ and tested close to 1000 MHz, but my Core2Duo wont go any further. :o

Anandtech review on the G-Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ mentioned that it works at 1067 MHz: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2867

OK, the more I read about memory the more it confuses me :sad:
I’m building a system based on http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2500&ModelName=GA-MA69VM-S2
and AMD x2 3800+ cpu (2.0 Ghz). I dont really want to overclock anything as i just need a quiet and stable system preferably with low energy consumption.
the mobo supports dual ch memory so i guess i’ll use two 1gb sticks.
Now what timing should it be for 800mhz to stay cool and stable? Is Kingmax total junk?

Get 1.8V sticks and use default timings.
These will be fine

//Danne

Thanks! I found these here http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13220BD7505&vpn=OCZ2G8002GK&manufacture=OCZ
but i suppose at 2.1v they will really make use of the radiators. so u right 1.8v is what i want. meanwhile i will get the moboand cpu and watch out for more deals (i prefer buying in land stores)

What timing is default for non- overclocked system with athlon x2 64 dual core 3800+ ?

Most motherboards with integrated graphics doesnt support anything above 1.8V, that’s way I recommend you to stick with 1.8V.
//Danne