DCD2SVCD help

vbimport

first time using this program, with D2SRoBa and CCE [thanks TimC for telling me what to use] so can someone please explain the best settings to use to convert .avi to 16:9 dvd file? i only burn on dual layer dvd’s, so i’m pretty sure i have enough memory for high bitrates. but speaking of dual layer, i cant set it to that size for “CD size” under the bitrate tab. highest option they have is 4464 DVD-r. but i want to go up to 8.5 gb with dvd+r dl. and does higher bitrate equal better quality? all help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, higher bitrate equals better quality, up to a point. For regular broadcast, or dvd quality files, between 8000, and 9000 is good. For HDTV, I believe it is between 10,000 and 12,000 for the sweet point.

In the D2sRoba front end you do a custom size of say 8000 in the CD size. That’ll do all the changes you need in DVD2SVCD itself.

However because of the way that D2SRoba & CCE work together I don’t think you really need DL media. I’ve found that even with very long movies the quality is very good. Of course if you’re viewing on a large Plasma TV it might make a difference.

im not saying ur wrong, but when i converted it with the setting on 4464, the quality was alot worse than the original file. and i know converting it will decrease the quality, but this was a dramatic decrease. and lets say you dont have a HDTV, but you still set the bitrate at 10,0000-12,000. would anything bad happen? because the end results after the conversions are ending up like a cam quality, but the original file is ripped from a dvd.

-edit-
also, how can you edit where your files save to? because the default place is pretty messy. there are alot of files in there, and im not sure how to burn it. i’m used to convertx, where you just convert and burn. so which files do i burn?
screenshot: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/777878/encode.jpg

I’ve always thought that there was a DVD standard for bitrate that was around 10,000. I know some DVD authoring apps will issue a warning if the bitrate is too high.

I’ve never seen cam like quality in all the conversions I’ve done.

What audio setting are you using? If the original ripped file has wav format & you don’t convert it the video quality will suffer a significant hit.

i guess i editted too late, so i’ll repost the editted part.

also, how can you edit where your files save to? because the default place is pretty messy. there are alot of files in there, and im not sure how to burn it. i’m used to convertx, where you just convert and burn. so which files do i burn?
screenshot: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/777878/encode.jpg

i have “Do not covert audio (use source audio)” checked. but i think it still converted the audio, according to the files in my folder.

-edit-
i jus re-read ur post. so am i supposed to uncheck that box? it was checked by default, and i didnt notice until you asked.

If the source video has AC3 audio then I check the “Don’t convert …” box otherwise it must be unchecked.
When checked it does really convert it but gives you extracted & encoded files that are identical.

I change the settings so that all the files created are in folders of my choice. That’ll be using the MIsc tab & then the Default Output folder.

You can create an ISO image of the movie by the DVD image tab & the DVD Author box. You set where you want that created & the chapter interval. Then burn that ISO image with ImgBurn which is a brilliant freeware app.

how do set the bitrate? because this is my settings under the BitRate tab:
Max.: 15000
Min.: 10000
[Box Checked] Min. avg: 10000
Max. avg: 12000

But during conversion, the avg bitrate is at 6.00. what am i doing wrong? are there any other settings that i should change other than bitrate?

i took a screenshot of the conversion in action

According to DVD standard, maximum bitrate for video is 9800 so long the combined video/audio/subpicture, including overhead, do not exceed 10.08Mbps (10080).

You’re setting the Max/Min too HIGH! The player will likely freeze at high bitrate sequence. Use the bitrate calculator like videocalc, to calculate the avg and max bitrate for you. Do not check “Min avg” box. The Min. box can go as low as 500 but you can leave it at the default 2000.

but evetho i change the settings, nothing changes. it always stay at 6.00 mbps

Are you using CCE with 1-pass VBR or CBR? Try Multipass (3) VBR. Are you looking at current or average bitrate? If CBR, it always stays at that. If 6Mbps is the avg bitrate during the whole encode, that is the best CCE can do based on the source and the settings you set. It won’t just add bits just to meet the specified bitrate since it has reached the encoder saturation on some part of the encode. In other words, you’re already hitting “highest quality”. Besides, this is just the video bitrate, the final bitrate (audio bitrate plus overhead) will be a lot higher than that.

how do i change it to multipass (3) VBR? i cant even find options/settings/preferences.

I’m really not sure what you’re doing.

Are you using D2SRoba to run the encoding process and are you using CCE as the encoder?

I didn’t understand why that screen shot was as it was as that’s clearly not a CCE screen and one I certainly don’t recognise.

i downloaded that from afterdawn. 15-day trial version.

It looks like CCE 2.70.x.x screen and D2SRoba chooses 1-pass encoding for this source.

@lal4life8, what version of CCE are you using? You should see the multipass VBR option in the Encoder tab of AVI2DVD.

If it were me, I wouldn’t run D2SRoba but AVI2DVD alone so I can manually enter the avg and max bitrate, calculated by videocalc, for DVD9.