dBpoweramp “Interpolate Unrecoverable Errors” option - Questions

vbimport

Hi there

I’m using DBPA to rip CDs. I have the Interpolate Unrecoverable Errors option off, because I was told that it is best to let the drives manage interpolation; not the software. But I have also read that when the drive Interpolates it uses silence where there are errors. I’ve been doing a lot of ripping, and when there are errors I have a listen back to the track in question. I do sometimes hear clicks and pops. Should I be hearing them if silence is used? Or have I misunderstood?

Also, how can I be sure that the drives are interpolating? Do they do this automatically or is do I need to do something?

The drives I have are:

• Plextor PX-716AL
  • Pioneer DVR-215

Any help most appreciated. Many thanks.

Max

The following is a mixture of general knowledge & best-guess suggestions.

Not all drives fill errors with silence. As a matter of fact, interpolation is supposed to be a guess of what should be there. But this happens on minor errors that don’t prevent the drive from ultimately trying to continue reading.

If there is an unrecoverable error, it means the drive actually told the software that it stopped reading OR the error was too severe for the drive to make a guess. That means that the drive didn’t even get a chance to fill a gap with silence OR perform interpolation. For the software to perform interpolation, it has to ask the drive to try reading again at a later spot, beyond where it failed, and the software then tries to figure out how to bridge that gap (maybe with a smooth transition to avoid annoying pops and clicks, but there’s still a brief jump).

The longer the gap, the less chance there is for a smooth transition/interpolation between the parts that can be read. And drives don’t all use the same method of bridging the gap.

So try it out with your drives; you may find the drive sticks silence in, or you may find that the drive resends the last data it read (leading to the classic skip, as if it were a broken record), or you could find something slightly more sophisticated where the drive stops sending data until it ultimately reads the data successfully. It’s all based on how the drives are designed to perform error correction.

You’ll have to do a little testing with your setup to see what sounds best. Maybe software interpolation will help smooth out the pops and clicks. Or maybe you’ll find that the drives aren’t returning an error, which means you’ll still end up with the same pops and clicks.

Then maybe see if DBPA allows for ways to do slower rips with a focus on accuracy, where it will force a reread of data in some circumstances. If you find that such an option isn’t available, you may have to switch to another bit of software for troublesome discs.