Dazzle 150 - Video Capture problem

Hi! I’m new to this board, but I’m hoping someone with more experience than I can offer up a suggestion…

I am using a Dazzle 150 USB 2.0 device with Pinnacle 9.4.3 to capture my old VHS stuff to DVD. I am connected to a USB 2.0 connection, and not a 1.1 connection.

I capture in Custom mode, MPEG2 video with a Kbit/sec of 8000 (or higher) - DVD quality settings.

The problem I have, is all the recordings seem to come out over sharpened (that’s the best way I can describe it) when a DVD is created… Like, parts of the scene will be pixellated (sp). If I run “Filter Video” when I create the DVD, all is well, EXCEPT the entire movie is slightly blurred (which is a side effect of filtering).

I have already had to modify the registry to get rid of the dreaded “audio out of sync”, so a full rendering is always done (minimal rendering no longer happens)

My system is a Pentium 4 - 2.8GHz (533MHz bus) with 1Gb DDR (266Mhz) memory. ATI 9600 Radeon video card. I have a seperate IDE drive for capture (40Gb), so that shouldn’t be an issue (correct me if I’m wrong here)

And - I tried Pinnacle 10.1, and couldn’t fix the audio sync issues. As an FYI - in 10.1 I was able to render with a noise filter to smooth out the video, but that messed up the concert movement (got way too choppy)

Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? Do I need to throttle down the capture bitrate? I can’t see why, but who knows.

Thanks in advance!!

For best result you need to capture to AVI format. The AVI files are going to be big, around 10-12GB for an hour of movie. Once you get the AVI you can process them in Pinnacle Studio or other software to convert to MPEG2. But I wouldn’t do the conversion in Pinnacle 9.4.3 though, the MPEG2 converter is not good, pixellate etc (and that might be your case). I found ULead DVD Movie Factory has better encoder engine. You might also try other AVI to MPEG2 software available online.

Thanks for the input.

Hmm. That will be the next trial, I guess.

I once had a tuner card that used VirtualDub, but that would only capture up to Video CD quality - which did no good for DVD’s.

Can the Dazzle even capture to AVI? I thought that had hardware level compression for MPEG2 only…

I can see that when one problem gets “fixed” another crops up.

Any other ideas?