Dawn demo works with ATI gpu's

vbimport

Source :

It was disappointing to find out that this magnificent demo would not be able to run on ATI’s DX9 graphic cards.
A group of MIT engineering students were disappointed by the same thing (also rumoured that they were unhappy with Nvidia’s image quality and performance) and were up to the task of making it work on ATI hardware (and the brains!). The end result was an opengl wrapper that made the demo run smoothly on ATI hardware. Most impressive!

Download the wrapper here.

Download Dawn demo here

It’s running better at ATI cards than nVidia :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Airhead
It’s running better at ATI cards than nVidia :bigsmile:

Especially since they released that nude patch :smiley:

Niceeeee :slight_smile:

haveing a top of the range ATI makes you feel all gooood inside :stuck_out_tongue:

i use to like nvidia but at the minute there getting kicked all over …

ultra 5900 could be a problem though i dout it when teh 256 9800 Pro is here to fight back :stuck_out_tongue:

whatever runs half life 2 the best is what im buying :smiley:

are ATI vid-cards really worth it or not ???
my Geforce TI 4800 SE kicks a$$ so far.
i’ve also never had any problems with Nvidia’s drivers or there vid-cards.
only reason i don’t really care for ATI is because of there drivers and gaming problems.
Nvidia’s drivers easy to download and install, all one simple package.
my past experience with ATI drivers and there cards was bad. have they made things easier?(installing and finding proper drivers)
are the ATI cards more compatible with games then they were in the past?
just wondering thats all.

Originally posted by Accel7
are ATI vid-cards really worth it or not ???
my Geforce TI 4800 SE kicks a$$ so far.
i’ve also never had any problems with Nvidia’s drivers or there vid-cards.
only reason i don’t really care for ATI is because of there drivers and gaming problems.
Nvidia’s drivers easy to download and install, all one simple package.
my past experience with ATI drivers and there cards was bad. have they made things easier?(installing and finding proper drivers)
are the ATI cards more compatible with games then they were in the past?
just wondering thats all.

yes they have made it easyier there drivers are indeed wayyyy better then they use to be : there are far less bugs now they have about the same number of bugs the nvidia drivers have.

your card isnt that good im only saying this becuse even my previous card TI 4600 Beat that card you have. All i have to say is if you get a 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro then your JAW WILL INDEED HIT THE FLOOR.

if you think, Your card is good then your gonna shit bricks if you get a 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro

if i was you i would get one, also if you have a 8x agp compatible Mobo then your gonna gain faster speeds. i think the card you have is 8x apg thats the only diffrence your card has slower clocks than the TI 4600 but the TI 4600 hasnt got 8agp.

still the ti 4600 beats it and i went from that to ati 9700 Pro and i will never go back. unless a faster nvidia card comes out but i very much dout it i think im with ati now for atleast another 3 years :smiley:

my next card is the 256mbit 9800 Pro or there new upcoming GPU card RV46 or something like that.

1 other thing. do ya wanna know my overclocks on my new ati 9700 Pro ! the clocks are 375 core 345 memory i also removed the shim so the heatsink would tuch the core properly :stuck_out_tongue:

Accel7: turn on 6xAA and 16xAniso and then compare your card to a ATI 9700 Pro :bigsmile:
I love being able to play with AA on without my card plunging down the drain (as my previous nvidia cards did)

all my settings are maxed out for my card, and all my games run fine.
Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, MOHAA, BF1942, C&C Generals, etc. all settings maxed out in-game aswell all look awesome and run perfect.
using Detonator FX 44.03
my friend has the ATI 9700 Pro and we play pretty much the same games and i don’t see that much difference.
thats the only reason i was wondering, plus the price tag is pretty high for the 9700 aswell.

So far nVidia is a little more friendlier than ATI in my honest opinion.

Let’s set up a summary :

nVidia cheated on 3DMark 2003
ATI did too , but less

nVidia made Dawn
some students made a wrapper for Dawn on the ATI

nVidia has Cg
ATI has ???

nVidia is not best supported on Doom III
ATI just GAVE away Doom III Alpha

They both cheat and provide software, demo’s, and 3dmarks that work to some advantage to each of their favor’s. That’s expected from competing companies. But considering how close they are and the rate at which video cards become obsolete, it really doesn’t matter I think. Just buy the cheaper one because in 2-3 years if not sooner you will need a new one. ATi and nvidia geforce are the two top brands now and buying one or the other won’t make a diff. I will laugh at the person who spends a hundred more for a higher 3dmark score this year and have a 3million triangles drawn faster. That card will be worth $hit in no time.

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/atidawning/dload/opengl32.zip
this link is broken… page don’t exist (?) so can somebody give me a good and easy link for this patch,
for using nvidia demo (dawn, dusk, down ultra…)
with an ATI hercules 3d prophet 9800 XT ?
thanks
tenand.philippe@caramail.com
for about this patch:)

The OpenGL wrapper can be downloaded here.

Unzip and place opengl32.dll into the bin directory of the installed demo. Default example would be c:\program files
vidia corporation
vidia demos\dawn\bin

thanks my friend. tell me: i have no more ati 9800xt, i want to buy a ati saphire 9800 pro/256 bits. :stuck_out_tongue:
but i read somewhere the latest driver for ati graphic cards is not ok with this patch. does it works or not, to use DAWN???
ALso: dawn ULTRA , the other dawn demo, need a more powerful graphic card card. is the 9800pro/128M/256 bits enough with the dawn ULTRA version? thank you.
will the latest demos for x800xt run or not? only with a x800xt?
tenand, Paris. :slight_smile:

hello,
nov 2005, now i have a gigabyte 6600 GT without fan (silence aaaah)

strange: the demo Timbury bug looker is told to be use with 6600, as says nvidia.
but it’s impossible i have pictures one by one very slow.
i use the v-tuner 2 gigabyte utility (smart tune mode 500 Mhz core clock and 1120 Mz memory clock.
this démo don’t works well, can you help me ?is it normal ?
also:
nvidia dont give anymore the other dawn demo, named “Dawn ULtra”.
have you a link for this Ultra edition demo?
and if you know some other beautiful demo… tell me !
for exemple: try to find “fr-025-final2.exe” " the popular demo". gee
also i don(t find “nude dawn patch” working with my 6600 gt, and how to use it. thank you

nalu or luna demo can’t work with my 6600gt, … sob

So you felt the urge to revive a long dead thread did you?