DaVinci Resolve

DaVinci Resolve is fully professional grade video and audio editor, primarily for video and audio post production.

There are two versions. DaVinci Resolve, and DaVinci Resolve Studio. The standard version is free, and is fully featured, with the exception of a few effects, and the ability to output in 10bit HDR, Ultra HD.

The standard version can do Ultra HD but only in 8bit colour.

So what’s the catch?
Being a pro editor, the learning curve is steep. However, there are superb tutorial videos only a mouse click away, Having played with it for about three weeks, I’m getting to grips with it, and even I can make some very professional looking video edits from the countless amount of video footage I have from my Samsung S9 phone which were shot in 4K.

You owe it to yourself to least give it a look. Start with the free version would be my recommendation. The Studio version is £249.

I’m using version 16 which at the time of writing is in beta (version 3), and has the very latest innovations, and IMO is state of the art. Although its beta, I find it is very stable. But if stability is an absolute must, then version 15 would suffice.

DaVinci Resolve

[edit] It requires a powerful PC, with at least 16GB of RAM, and I would recommend at least a 1000 series NVidia GPU. Mines is a GTX1060 and works well, but a more powerful GPU would be even better. If you have at least an 1000 series NVidia GPU then use the Nvidia Studio drivers rather than the gaming drivers. You can get those from NVidia’s website.

DaVinci Resolve is a 1.5GB download, so you should also be aware of that.

Thank you Wendy, seems like an awesome program. If you say there is a steep learning curve, I guess this is one that has to be learned slowly. ( at least for me). I am going to check it out see if it has a HDR grading and a blur effect and 3d. Thanks again.

DaVinci Resolve 16 beta 4 is now out. Same link as in the first post.

Changelog is here.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=92687

hi there Dee,
can this program get rid of or make colour banding disappear , like a debanding filter or something to get rid of this banding in dark scenes / underwater scenes or where one colour fades gradually into another like blue skys , there is sometimes banding in these areas on a video or movie.

Resolve has a ‘deband’ filter. I haven’t had to use it, so I have no idea how well it can remove this type of noise. Like most things in Resolve. Its performance will largely depend on the power of your GPU.

I guess you have to try Resolve for yourself. The free version that I’m using has the deband filter.

ok thanks for reply,
when u apply a filter whether its deband or any other filter are you able to apply it to just a certain section of a video , say if i need to apply a filter to only 30 seconds of the 90 minute movie can i do that section only or does it get applied to the whole video. thanks.
can u recommend where i get the free trial from here or the davinci website. does the free version run out by a certain date or just limitations only .

Any effect, filter, transition, or cut can be of any duration you choose on the timeline, it could be anything from a single video frame to the complete movie clip.
You can apply any effect or transition as many times as you like along the timeline.

As far as I know, there is no time limitation on how long you can use the free version. The paid version has more features, effects and rendering options.

The link I have in this forum thread, goes straight to DaVinci Resolve website. So the download is from the creators of the software.

Time to get things into perspective.
A good friend of mine does CGI for a living, mostly TV ads. It was her who got me onto Davinci Resolve. She has the studio version, but that isn’t the point of the post.

Her system is based on an AMD Ryzen TR2950X, with 64GB of RAM, and housed on an Asus TR4 motherboard. Impressed?
I certain was. :slight_smile:

If that wasn’t enough, she has 3X NVidia TITAN RTX graphics cards mounted in the system. That’s the reason she went for a Ryzen TR system, as it has 60 PCIe GEN3 lanes. Each of those TITAN RTX cards has 24GB of GDDR6 VRAM, and each card costs £2400. :zipper_mouth_face:

Davinci Resolve does nearly all of its rendering on the GPU, be that special effects, or rendering the whole movie clip, or indeed the whole movie.

She showed me it rendering a small CGI chip at 4K resolution (she normally works with 8K clips) with loads of very impressive special effects.
The clip was only 9 seconds in length, but it rendered in real time on Resolves ‘timeline’. She asked me to try it at home, so saved the project onto USB HDD, and off I went.

The exact same clip on my system took 31 seconds to render. Not to bad, because time is not an issue for me, but for a pro, time is money.

The moral of the story is. The more grunt your GPU has, the better the Davinci Resolve experience will be.

ok thanks for all the info. i donwloaded it , will try it in the coming weeks .