David L

vbimport

Hi from David: Have a Panasonic DVD Recorder Model# DMR-ES20 after searching questions and answers in this forum, have determined I have a bad capacitor on mother board position C1400. The capacitor has 470 uF RJX 16v black with a gray bar down one side. This is the only one I can find that looks raised on the top side, with a slight split also on the cap. Radio shack shows one for under $2.00 but it says NTE and this in the heading. NTE VHT470M16 - CAP-470uF 16V 105*C RADIAL LEAD. Does this sound like the one I might need? Oh buy the way mine unit just flashes zero’s then Hello then the 12:00A when you push the power button. Thought it was odd that no sound or activity happened when plugged in like normally used too. Thank you!

Hi David and welcome to the forums. :flower:

That’s a pretty specific question, and I’m not sure how many of our members are into electronics, but if you’re lucky someone here might know the answer.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=diverNEWet;2710121]Hi from David: Have a Panasonic DVD Recorder Model# DMR-ES20 after searching questions and answers in this forum, have determined I have a bad capacitor on mother board position C1400. The capacitor has 470 uF RJX 16v black with a gray bar down one side. This is the only one I can find that looks raised on the top side, with a slight split also on the cap. Radio shack shows one for under $2.00 but it says NTE and this in the heading. NTE VHT470M16 - CAP-470uF 16V 105*C RADIAL LEAD. Does this sound like the one I might need? Oh buy the way mine unit just flashes zero’s then Hello then the 12:00A when you push the power button. Thought it was odd that no sound or activity happened when plugged in like normally used too. Thank you![/QUOTE]

That part is most likely equivalent. Things that matter is the capacitance (470uF) on both of them, maximum voltage (both 16V - you can replace a cap with a larger maximum voltage if space permits but not with a smaller) and the temperature. Use 105C caps, they should be better quality. RJX / NTE are just manufacturers (You can replace a cap with a different manufacturer cap).

When desoldering the old cap take note of the orientation! The side which has the gray bar is minus. Orient the new cap the same way, if you don’t, the cap will most likely explode (small part and loud bang). Usually the PCB silkscreen has the orientation noted, but I wouldn’t trust that.

Be aware that most of the caps do have “a split” on the top (a shallow cross which is made on purpose). If the split is opened up - then definitely the cap is bad. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Thanks for stepping in there Mastus with some good advice, much appreciated.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Mastus;2710323]That part is most likely equivalent. Things that matter is the capacitance (470uF) on both of them, maximum voltage (both 16V - you can replace a cap with a larger maximum voltage if space permits but not with a smaller) and the temperature. Use 105C caps, they should be better quality. RJX / NTE are just manufacturers (You can replace a cap with a different manufacturer cap).

When desoldering the old cap take note of the orientation! The side which has the gray bar is minus. Orient the new cap the same way, if you don’t, the cap will most likely explode (small part and loud bang). Usually the PCB silkscreen has the orientation noted, but I wouldn’t trust that.

Be aware that most of the caps do have “a split” on the top (a shallow cross which is made on purpose). If the split is opened up - then definitely the cap is bad. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague[/QUOTE]
Thank you for all that wonderful information, the cap size and how to be sure and locate it the same way as the old one came out. Just need to locate a soldering system, noticed many different wattages available. Any suggestions for circuit boards such as a DVD mother board? David

Yes in deed thank you to Mastus. It is nice to have people that can work together to help each other out of jams once in a while. DiverNEWet.

[QUOTE=diverNEWet;2710387]Yes in deed thank you to Mastus. It is nice to have people that can work together to help each other out of jams once in a while. DiverNEWet.[/QUOTE]

That’s what this place is all about.

We can’t always guarantee you’ll get an answer but they’re a great bunch here and people are always keen to help.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=diverNEWet;2710385]Thank you for all that wonderful information, the cap size and how to be sure and locate it the same way as the old one came out. Just need to locate a soldering system, noticed many different wattages available. Any suggestions for circuit boards such as a DVD mother board? David[/QUOTE]

Probably most suitable would be around 40 watts. Do not buy a soldering gun… most likely it can be very cumbersome in electronics.

If this is a one-time job and the money is short, you’ll probably opt for a cheap soldering iron. Though be aware that if you are planning to do more work soldering and repairing, you’d want to buy a bit more expensive one with thermostat (and more easily replaceable tips). And yes - it is true - the job is much easier with good tools…