Daughter update

vbimport

For those who read my post about my daughter being hurt on a 4 wheeler I thought you might want an update. We had to take her back to UAMS in Little Rock last Thursday. She started having real bad pain and the local hospital did not have the right doctor for her pancreious. I guess when you damage it in an accident it takes a long time to heal and since you can not live without it they were not taking any chances. My wife were there until tonight all they did was give her pain meds. and watch some count for the past few days. She is feeling better and whatever the count is they say it is getting better. Maybe she will get to come home some time today. she will just have to do something she does not like and stay in bed for a few weeks.
Thanks again for all your caring maybe now I can read all the post I did not get to read the last few days.

I hope everything turns out great for her…it does take a long time for counts to rise after such a shock to her system…just keep taking those meds and soon she will be up and about…

*I’ll be in Little Rock on the 22 :slight_smile: to see Metallica !!! *

Thanks for the update Samlar :flower:…hope everything turns out OK for her :slight_smile:

Get rid of the 4 wheeler. I have great faith that she will be fine.

It is good to hear overall positive news and to see she is moving in the right direction.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your daughter’s recovery.
I have no doubt she’ll do great, but blunt force pancreatic trauma entails a lot of rest, and waiting and watching as you all know. Not exactly the prescription a child wants to hear…:rolleyes:…or parents either for that matter.

Time is your ally here and if it means a few trips to Little Rock to make sure everything’s ok, well, that’s a small price to pay.
God Bless you all.

Best wishes for your daughter’s speedy recovery! :flower:

[QUOTE=Zathros;2154235]Get rid of the 4 wheeler. I have great faith that she will be fine.[/QUOTE]

I cannot get rid of the 4 wheeler it is hers. She is grown with to boys of her own and her and my son-in-law have to 4 wheelers. I had one at one time but got rid of it when my grandkids started wanting to ride it by themselves. Could not think of having a grandkid hurt on my 4 wheeler so what happens My daughter and son-in-laws get two and then she gets hurt on it. This is going to take a while before she get well. We get used to going to the doctor or hospital in one day out the next then all fine but somethings just do not go that easy.

SAMLAR
I am sorry to hear about that. I didn’t see your
post about your daughter. I myself was hurt in a bike
accident when I was kid. I broke a bone and believe me
I still remember the pain. I am glad to hear that she
is coming home. Remember children tend to recover quickly
most of the time. So hears wishing you the best and
may god be with you and your family.
ZAP.:frowning:

[QUOTE=samlar;2154386]I cannot get rid of the 4 wheeler it is hers. She is grown with to boys of her own and her and my son-in-law have to 4 wheelers. I had one at one time but got rid of it when my grandkids started wanting to ride it by themselves. Could not think of having a grandkid hurt on my 4 wheeler so what happens My daughter and son-in-laws get two and then she gets hurt on it. This is going to take a while before she get well. We get used to going to the doctor or hospital in one day out the next then all fine but somethings just do not go that easy.[/QUOTE/

I am sorry, I thought she was way younger. I watched my son (8) fall over on his bicycle ( BMX Style) the other day. I make him wear a helmet, gloves, jeans and boots but when your time comes, your time comes. I hope all works out well.

I do not know why one of the company do not come out with a simple cage that provides some protection from rollovers. I simple bar network that puts a square ahead of the driver and one behind that is connected with other bars would prevent some of the trama.
It was the handle bars that put all the pounds of the 4 wheeler on a small part of her body that caused the problems. If there had been a bar system like it stated then she might have got hit by the bars but the weight would have been over a large area and not done the damaged. We think they are going to let her come home on Wed, but they also think they will have to go in and open up her pancreious but they want it to be healed first,so they will wait for three weeks or so.

[QUOTE=samlar;2155598]I do not know why one of the company do not come out with a simple cage that provides some protection from rollovers. I simple bar network that puts a square ahead of the driver and one behind that is connected with other bars would prevent some of the trama.
It was the handle bars that put all the pounds of the 4 wheeler on a small part of her body that caused the problems. If there had been a bar system like it stated then she might have got hit by the bars but the weight would have been over a large area and not done the damaged. We think they are going to let her come home on Wed, but they also think they will have to go in and open up her pancreious but they want it to be healed first,so they will wait for three weeks or so.[/QUOTE]
As tragic as accidents like these are…and we all want to minimize any trauma to riders, I don’t believe what you propose would help. As a matter of fact, it may cause more serious injuries. I’m no engineer, that’s for sure, but any attempt at creating a rollover cage…when the driver’s not protected and belted, would be a disaster. All kinds of body parts will protrude beyond “the cage”. You’ll have all kinds of fractured necks and head injuries, let alone extremity, chest and abdominal trauma.

While getting ejected doesn’t bode well for your health…it’s better than being confined and subjected to even more trauma.

Again, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter.

I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery:flower:.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2155765]I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery:flower:.[/QUOTE]

Amen :sad:

I do not know why one of the company do not come out with a simple cage that provides some protection from rollovers. I simple bar network that puts a square ahead of the driver and one behind that is connected with other bars would prevent some of the trama.

They actually do have something like that called an Odessy (or something close to that spelling) … we called em arm breakers as they would snap anything that was hanging outside the cage … I have to agree with maineman on this one … most times you get tossed off of a 4 wheeler and are a bit bruised and whatnot ( I used one on the farm and have had a few rollovers and endo’s)
I broke my back and paralyzed a leg playing football … go figure…was just a fluke accident.

I do hope your daughter comes through everything OK :bigsmile::flower:

look at this I think this is what I am going to tell my son-in-law to build on theres.

When I managed a Yamaha Parts dealership they had high impact chest plates that were virtually indestructible. All the off-road bikers used them. I know they are used still. They have evolved quite considerably too. A simple Google search will reveal 1000’s of them.

I am sure glad she is doing better

Yes she came home today but still has a long road and might have to have surgery. I just want more protection next time.