Datawrite-R Titanium Scans

vbimport

Has anyone tried any Datawrite -R 8x Titanium DVDs (CMC MAG. AE1). The scan looks fine till the last part… Any suggestions for a better write or why the 1620 doesn’t 100% like this media?

Make a scan with nero cdspeed at 8x scan speed on your benq to compare the results.

Heres the scan with CD-Speed. I’m not sure how to comapre the results to Kprobe though - whats a good value? Do Lite-Ons/K-Probe scan DVDs differently?

The scan is in-spec (when disregarding jitter) but I’d be a bit worried about the errors rising towards the end (especially PIF) which could indicate a future problem due to media deterioration … up to 3.8 GB, the scan looks excellent, though.

If I were you, I would not put more than 3.8 GB of data onto these discs … additionally, the jitter graph indicates that other (maybe older) devices might have reading problems at the end.

I tried writing the same discs in my NEC and I got a very good <40 PI. Does this point to the Benq not likeing these discs? Would a different fw make any difference?

I seriously doubt that a different firmware (e.g. B7P9 or B7S9) would make a big difference here … if errors arise at the end of the disc, it is either an indication of poor disc quality or a recording speed that has been chosen too high.

Your BenQ’s writing strategy seems to match the disc since error rates (especially PIF) are low over the whole disc up to 3.8 GB (although I have seen 8x CMC -R that have been written much better by the 1620).

You could try to write @ 4x and see if the problem persists …

I’ve found mine to be OK. Which type have you got? - Printable or the Silver ones?

This one gets a decent scan, although they all seem to start high on mine, rather than end like that on yours.

Here’s one that I even burned at 12x to see how that went (Firmware B7S9).

Got the silver ones. I notice you have the older fw too - maybe this would help (can you go back in fw?). Also, the disc is written at 12x - shouldn’t that make the quality worse?!

Dunno if one can say that in general, but as higher RPMs are needed for higher writing speeds that might result in higher vibrations and therefore less writing quality.

Where did you write that disc with 12x speed? On the Nec (good burn) or the BenQ (“bad” burn)? Also check on the BenQ website the list of supported media and the information stored with the different firmware updates, quite often there is a list of media in there, too (on BenQ global site you will find the info on the firmware update page, there is a “pencil” icon which will pop up the info windows).

All the best!

It was deanjamin that wrote the disc at 12x and I assume that was in a Benq. I wrote the disc at 8x in my NEC. I might try tonight at 12x just to see what happens… I’ll see what Qscan has to say too.

I scanned a disc in Qscan at 8x - the media was on the borderline. Then I scanned another at 12x and the scan wasn’t as bad! A re-scan at 8x also proved not as bad. Are these OK? Does the drive ‘learn’?

If I only knew … I also had that feeling before! But if a drive e.g. remembers a changed Booktype setting over reboots … why not “learn” promising write strategies? I would say this is not sure, but possible.

On the other hand, I scanned the same disc with the “Smart test” in qscan and qscan said “not suited for 12x” - but the full test said “suited”. If you get a batch of discs, maybe trying the full test, burning one disc, scanning it and if the results look ok to you, burn the rest at the same speed sounds logical to me. Maybe do a scan every 5 discs or so to be sure they do not change quality in your batch of DVDs.

I am not experienced right now to really be able to interpret the qscan results, anyway… so this is just what I assume!

Good luck and let us know :wink:

I doubt that since BenQ would advertise such a function if present … see Plextor’s AutoStrategy.

It’s rather related to quality deviation of your media IMO.

I haven’t noticed any “learning” on the BenQ. Especially looking at MediaCodeSpeedEdit and looking at and working with B7T9 firmware it appears it just runs purely on the built in write strategies. Lite-On Drives do “learn” so to speak in that the strategies adjust them as you burn the discs and this is fairly noticeable.