Datawrite & NEC2500

vbimport

I just bought the NEC 2500 !!! I burned one DVD with data (AVI files) burned succesfully with the latest Nero Burning Rom. When I read back the DVD it works but only the first couple AVI files the last couple files don’t work when reading in my NEC2500 and PIONEER DVD-500M and in my Laptop Toshiba SD-R6112 !! But in my GF’s laptop it works Toshiba SD-R6012 !!

The data is Grey Datawrite Classic 2x DVD-R General Purpose

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRODISCG02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

What can I do about it ?!?! What could be the problem ?!?! Will a firmware update help ?

Originally posted by Broodje
[B]I just bought the NEC 2500 !!! I burned one DVD with data (AVI files) burned succesfully with the latest Nero Burning Rom. When I read back the DVD it works but only the first couple AVI files the last couple files don’t work when reading in my NEC2500 and PIONEER DVD-500M and in my Laptop Toshiba SD-R6112 !! But in my GF’s laptop it works Toshiba SD-R6012 !!

The data is Grey Datawrite Classic 2x DVD-R General Purpose

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRODISCG02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

What can I do about it ?!?! What could be the problem ?!?! Will a firmware update help ? [/B]

did you update to 1.07 firmware? im not up on G02 i have prodiscr02 and get this…sounds like you got some really old dvds…i would suggest you get better media. this is a sample of the r02 media burned at 4x. now you may not get as good as a scan as this but your burns should be readable in all your drives.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=589764#post589764

So you suggest to update to firmware 1.07 !!! What about that herrie firmware can it help ?!?!? I’m not really into that scans and stuff what do you want to tell me with it !

BTW I forgot to say that DVD-Video works !! There is really no logic in DVD’s !!!

Try burning in UDF format.
I had this problem with some of my media. for some reason burning with udf format gives me much better results.

Hope it helps.

I’ll give the UDF a try, what is UDF exactly ?

I’ll give the UDF a try, what is UDF exactly ?

From the net:

[B]Short for Universal Disk Format, a universal vendor-independent file system for optical media designed for data interchange and portability, allowing an operating system to read, write and modify data stored on optical media that was created by another operating system.
DVDs are based on the UDF format and CD-R and CD-RW disks use UDF as an optional second standard.

UDF, defined by the Optical Technology Storage Association (OTSA), is a subset of ISO 13346, an interchange standard for non-sequential recording of data.

[/B]

[B]So you suggest to update to firmware 1.07 !!! What about that herrie firmware can it help ?!?!? I’m not really into that scans and stuff what do you want to tell me with it !

BTW I forgot to say that DVD-Video works !! There is really no logic in DVD’s !!! [/B]

if your a burning novice i would stay with stock firmware. 1.07 is the latest and it does a good job. you dont need herries fw to do what your asking.

You just admitted your not into scans and stuff so you will never really know if you have a good dvd or bad one…so get good media and i would suggest using 1.07 stock.

from persional experiance DATAWRITE media SUCKS.

hope this helps.

your problems should be solved with better up to date media.
dont go for datawrite even if its the v2 kind.

OK but I still have 50 of those dvd’s !! I just use them for DVD-Video and give a single try to UDF !!!

What can Herrie’s firmware do for me, is it only for getting faster burning speeds ?!?!? (It does not have to solve my problem only wanted to know what it adds)

Any advice on what media I should use which are not to expensive !!! (I’m from the Netherlands) It needs to be good for backking up data !

I read some things about changing booktypes, is this changing between different formats like DVD-Video,DVD-ROM,DVD-ROM (ISO) etc… Because maybe I could change it to DVD-ROM and burn data with succes, because DVD-Video is just perfect on these discs at least in all my 4 DVD-standalones :wink:

[B]OK but I still have 50 of those dvd’s !! I just use them for DVD-Video and give a single try to UDF !!!

What can Herrie’s firmware do for me, is it only for getting faster burning speeds ?!?!? (It does not have to solve my problem only wanted to know what it adds)

Any advice on what media I should use which are not to expensive !!! (I’m from the Netherlands) It needs to be good for backking up data !

I read some things about changing booktypes, is this changing between different formats like DVD-Video,DVD-ROM,DVD-ROM (ISO) etc… Because maybe I could change it to DVD-ROM and burn data with succes, because DVD-Video is just perfect on these discs at least in all my 4 DVD-standalones :wink: [/B]

try the stock 1.07 first and see if it helps your burns with that media. if your going to use herries then i like his 107 beta 7 version. burn at lowest speed possible with those disks and you may get a acceptable result.

datawrite are complete dog pooh
many standalones don’t even think there is
a disk in the tray, when its a datawrite.
Chuck em in the bin, and don’t be so silly next time.
(who in the world buys 50 without some idea of what they are like?)

Me. 50 Bulkpaq DVD+R and they suck past 4GB :stuck_out_tongue:

i used many datawrite redtop v2 disks in my nec2500a. these were some of the most trouble free disks ive ever used on this dvd writer.

so far these are the only disks that have been successfully written at 6x on my burner.

that said, the datawrite redtop v2 (4x) disks are quite different from the older 2x disks that this thread seems to be about.

What discs do you guys use for NEC 2500 (only -)

I use Datasfe DVD-R x 4 (GO4) & Verbitam DVD-R x 4 DualLifePlus
but I read with my LiteOn & write with my NEC.
I no there is a varience in G04 dies but Im having good results with the Datasafe

Does that mean they don’t read in your NEC ? Because I won’t to have discs that are readible in 95% of all new drives !!

To be fair Ive read on these forums that the LiteOn is a better reader but I will vouch that Ive read & burnt using the NEC2500A using the Datasfe GO4s. I allready had the LiteOn before the NEC & then I saw a bargain price for the NEC £59-99 & went ahead & bought it so that is how I came of my two drives. I am now using 1.08/HP1.27 firmware which I just downloaded tonight & Im getting better results again.

Originally posted by Quest Solver
I am now using 1.08/HP1.27 firmware which I just downloaded tonight & I`m getting better results again.

better write quality or better read quality?

Definately write quality as I said I`m using the LiteOn for reading.
I will try the NEC for both & let you know!

How can you read such a thing !?!?!