Data scan

vbimport

Does anyone know of a program to check the readability of a written disc, similar to the plextools or the verify written data option in nero? (since it is no longer an option on mine since I formatted my hd and reinstalled)
I have a couple of DVD movies that scan out decent in kprobe2, but will not read in my burner or my rom drive. If I could determine readability BEFORE i delete the files off of my hard drive, I could save myself a big headache.

Because my combo (with 16x hacked firmware) reads much faster than my DVD-burner, I never do data-verify in Nero because it’s too slow. To do the verification in the combo, I often do either one of two things…

The comp utility in the Windows command prompt (dunno if this is available for non-NT versions of Windows)…

C:\FOLDER_WITH_ORIG_DATA>comp *.* E:\*.*

But I don’t like comp very much. Not very efficient with memory usage. :Z What I normally use is md5sum… before burning (or after burning), I do a md5sum of all the original data and store the output to a file…

md5sum *.* > output.txt

And then I do the same with the files on the disc (reading from my combo, which is lightning-fast). The reason I like md5sum more (aside from better memory usage than the comp utility) is that I can then save all my md5sum records so that I can re-check file integrity off in the future long after the files are deleted (I can’t repair them, but at least I’ll know in the future if any of them have gone bad for some reason).

Because my combo (with 16x hacked firmware) reads much faster than my DVD-burner, I never do data-verify in Nero because it’s too slow. To do the verification in the combo, I often do either one of two things…

The comp utility in the Windows command prompt (dunno if this is available for non-NT versions of Windows)…

C:\FOLDER_WITH_ORIG_DATA>comp *.* E:\*.*

But I don’t like comp very much. Not very efficient with memory usage. What I normally use is md5sum… before burning (or after burning), I do a md5sum of all the original data and store the output to a file…
Code:

md5sum *.* > output.txt

And then I do the same with the files on the disc (reading from my combo, which is lightning-fast) and compare the two results. The reason I like md5sum more (aside from better memory usage than the comp utility) is that I can then save all my md5sum records so that I can re-check file integrity off in the future long after the files are deleted (I can’t repair them, but at least I’ll know in the future if any of them have gone bad for some reason).

md5sum is a free open-source (GNU) utility, comes with many *nix installs… there are also many Windows ports of it… one of them is located here: http://downloads.activestate.com/contrib/md5sum/Windows/

(thread moved to general software forum)