Data quality / backup quality - DVD + BL --- Buying drives

Hello everyone!

I want to buy a DVD+BL burner to burn my family photos and some other stuff.

I want to burn some smaller batch on M-Disk DVD, and more bulkier stuff on M-Disk Blue ray disk.

I thought on buying an LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B, it can burn both M-disk DVD and BL disks too.

I want to check my burned disks, I dont want to find out 10 years from now that some part of the disks are unreadableā€¦ What else do I need to accompish this?

Do I need a scan drive or by using Quality Verbatim M-Disks I can rest assured that the disks are quality?
How can I check the written data? I want to check every disk I burn.

What should that be?
DVD+BL is no format. In case you mean Blu-ray then BD is correct shortterm.
Most discs/data will not ā€œliveā€ that long.

My fault, sry :slight_smile:
I truly meant BD :smiley:

I want a burner to write M-Disks, both DVD and BD format.

I have DVD media that were burned almost 15 years ago and they ā€œliveā€ fine.

Proves really not much in conclusion!

Iā€™ve enough CD-R burnt 23 years ago and they are good, even their content is VERIFIED using advanced scanning methods.

The drive is good, have one myself.
I am not sure about CD AND DVD M-Disc write support.

Another thing is reliable disc scanningā€¦ maybe better achievable with an Liteon BD drive.

Daaaaamn, you are right!!
I was browsing and searching for so long i was confused :smiley:

Witch whould you recommend? LG BH16NS40 Or LG WH16NS40?

Both are available, thou the BH is a returned item and costs 25$ less

I have the BH16NS40 and can recommend it, itĀ“s better than the BH16NS55, at least in my experience

The WH16NS40 should have the same hardware, so I canĀ“t say a difference between this two models

HereĀ“s a discussion

There are at least two very different hardware revisions of that drive!
The drives manufactured from 2015 onwards should be hardware revision 2 which is able to be patched to read/rip UHD Blu-Rays. They come with ā€œSVC code: NS50ā€ on the drive sticker.
BH* and WH are equal drives, WH is OEM/bulk and the BH version should be retail.

Different revisions should be available with both drives (WH and BH).

Maybe also depend on country which drives available, in Germany itĀ“s most BH, WH is only available here via some dealers from other countries

Yeah, that was not questioned, but you didnt point out the different drive revisions that exist. :wink:
The earlier ones are manufactured prior 2015 and those with SVC5x after that.
That is an inevitable fact for those who want to play/rip Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.

I assume SVC stands for ā€œService Vendor Componentā€ and not ā€œService Componentā€ as someone ealier posted in this forum.

TBH, IĀ“m not so familar with all these revisions but I think I saw a lot of discussions here.

Still donĀ“t have UHD-discs, but I guess my BU40N could read em

Yeah, thats probably the case.
Sorry, I think Iā€™ve misunderstood you, you surely meant the differences between BH and WH drives and I thought you meant the difference between 14NS* and 16NS* drives. :wink:

Could be :wink:

14NS-drives are legacy, bought my 16NS40 in 2013

I have ordered the WH14NS40 version, I hope it will be great :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone !

Can I do BD Quality checks with the Lite-On iHAS124B drive? Or only DVD quality checks? I intend to do BD quality checks too.

It has the iXtreme Burner Max firmware, it is currently available, promised to be in like-new condition.

Or I can get the following for 1/3 price:
iHAS122-14
iHDS118-04
iHAS124-14

AFAIK, this drive is CD & DVD only, no BD part included.
http://www.liteonodd.com/en/dvd-internal/item/dvdinternal/ihas-124.html

Yeah, itā€™s an official UHD drive. :wink:

UHD official drives:
LG BU40N(internal slim/laptop)

Yep, and the only one which is available here for a good price in Germany. And itĀ“s a very good BD-writer.

I guess the UHD-discussion for BH16NS55 and the Asus-clone leads to confusion. At Amazon one user asks about the stock FW