Data discs that will not read on PC

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me or shed some light on a problem that I’ve encountered below;

I was given 2 discs with movies on and went to play them in my dvd player a note came up in the menu screen saying they were DATA DISCS.

They have been burnt on Verbatim DVD-R and when I put them into my PC they won’t read at all. So I have no idea if or how I can convert them if they wont even read, surely there must be a program that will read these?

Please help soon as my stupid set top box isn’t working and I’m about to use it for clay pigeon shooting! :a

One frustrated person. :eek:

They may be data discs with files in AVI format; be sure your player can play DIVX/AVI files and you PC has a program like VLC.

I also suggest giving VLC a try to see if it can play the content…

If you are unable to copy the content to your PC, this seems to indicate either bad discs (e.g. person writing them had a bad burner) or that the discs were not fully written, e.g. using a disc duplicator where the person using it didn’t check its display for any errors after duplication.

[QUOTE=Termin8;2493692]Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me or shed some light on a problem that I’ve encountered below;

I was given 2 discs with movies on and went to play them in my dvd player a note came up in the menu screen saying they were DATA DISCS.

They have been burnt on Verbatim DVD-R and when I put them into my PC they won’t read at all. So I have no idea if or how I can convert them if they wont even read, surely there must be a program that will read these?

Please help soon as my stupid set top box isn’t working and I’m about to use it for clay pigeon shooting! :a

One frustrated person. :eek:

[/QUOTE]

Maybe contact whom ever gave you those dvd and ask how where they created and what format?? Also since you don’t technically own them we can’t give help either…

Try veiwing them with ISOBuster.It may be able to extract them.
I know my Vista OS can’t read DVD -RW recorded in VR mode.
IsoBuster can see the files on this type of disc.It hasn’t been able to extract them though.
Even if it can’t extract files it can let you know what type files you have on the disc.