Data affects burn?

vbimport

Can the original image your ripped or data your burning have an effect on your error results?

Edit: I was wondering if say, your hard drive was not defragmented for a while. Or the image you ripped was off of a scratched DVD, but it ripped successfuly. Would those factors negatively impact your burn?

Can you explain better? Are you asking if some specific data have a higher probability to give more errors on a disc? If this is the question, the answer is no.

• Moved thread to the main Blank Media Forum * *

The Blank DVD Media Tests forum is for test results only. :wink:

The data itself doesn’t effect burn quality, but factors such as a heavily fragmented HD, buffer underruns, etc. can effect the burn quality. But something such as data ripped from a scratched disc wouldn’t have any impact, no. If you encounter read errors during the rip of the disc, then some of the data will be corrupt/missing, but that won’t effect the actual burn quality.

…unless the data has been deliberately created so that it will make weak sectors on the disc, one of the ways of implementing copy protection.

But unless the data is deliberately created to make copying to CD or DVD media hard, the quality of the burned disc will not depend on the data content.

ah alright, thanks for the information! Was wondering because I ripped an image off of a dvd that was scratched up.

One could as well ask if the printing quality of a Word document is dependant on the sentences written :wink:

You have to understand that data is… data! Even more so in the digital world, where all gets translated into 0s and 1s.

If you think of a Word document, data is just like the actual letters, words, sentences. Now when you print these on paper (burning a disc), that’s where the fun begins.

Low-level burning quality (PIE, PIF, jitter etc…) is similar to how easily readable will the printing of these sentences be on paper. Will it be sharp, well defined and contrasted (good burn), or blurry and fuzzy (bad burn)?

If you think this way, you realize that the actual words and sentences (> the data) has nothing to do with the quality of the printing (> burning quality), which depends on the paper (> disc), the printer and its driver (> burner and firmware), and the printing options you choose (> burning speed, OPC, HT…)…

Now about the rip, indeed if it’s successful (no reading errors reported by the ripping software), the data on your HD (that you will later burn on a disc) is 100% correct and contains no “errors”. A successful digital copy of a DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVDR, a [I]data[/I]* CD-ROM or [I]data[/I]* CDR, is 100% the same as the source in terms of actual data. None of the low-level errors (PIE, PIF…) are ripped, :disagree: only the data. :cool:

• stressing the [I]data[/I] part, as when ripping [I]audio[/I] CDs, well, thing are different… as many audio ripping softwares simply ignore audio reading errors. :rolleyes: - if you want a perfect copy of an audio CDR, unless the source disc is pristine and your reader is excellent, you need specific tools like [I]Exact Audio Copy[/I] to achieve this.

Happy burning :smiley: