Data Accuracy obsession?

I just wanted to buy a new DVD burner to rip and burn CDs as the ones I have are 3 years old. But on further thinking, are sites like this exaggerating how bad drives and software are? I gave up on EAC because of the difficulty of use, and now use WMP 12 for ripping. WMP converts the files directly to WMA lossless, and I don’t have to do anything else. It also allows the drive to do error checking.

Also with the drives, some drives like the Samsung SH203B get such a following, now they are discontinued but so many people still prefer it over the newer models.

When I looked at all of the DVDs and CDs I have ripped and burned, none of them have any noticeable problems. I used nero, and with windows 7, I just use the built in burner in the OS.

What’s all this problem with “use this burner for DVD+R, use that one for CD-R, use that one for DVD-RAM, and use this program for ripping, that one for burning…”

Isn’t that just paranoia?

NO flaming!

Use what works for you, I happen to use iTunes for my music collection and love it. There are some here who think iTunes is evil, so what is my thoughts, it works for me.

If you are happy with your results, that is all that should matter, there is no need to seek justification for your process.

If WMP works for you, great, have at it…Whatever floats your boat…
However I as well as many others, rely on rippers with secure and accuraterip(s)…e.g. EAC or dBpoweramp…So no that’s [I]not[/I] “just paranoia”…
If your choice of WMA lossless works for you, fine…FYI, flac is by far more HW compatible and faster to encode/decode…Don’t believe me? try it sometime and check for yourself…
Does WMP transcode/convert to flac, ALAC, AAC, APE?..foobar2k, winamp, dBpoweramp, are by far the better SW player/converters/taggers/rippers than WMP(IMO), actually AFAIC…;)…Heck I’d even rip with iTunes before using WMP…
JM2cents worth…To each their own…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2453255]If WMP works for you, great, have at it…Whatever floats your boat…
However I as well as many others, rely on rippers with secure and accuraterip(s)…e.g. EAC or dBpoweramp…So no that’s [I]not[/I] “just paranoia”…
If your choice of WMA lossless works for you, fine…FYI, flac is by far more HW compatible and faster to encode/decode…Don’t believe me? try it sometime and check for yourself…
Does WMP transcode/convert to flac, ALAC, AAC, APE?..foobar2k, winamp, dBpoweramp, are by far the better SW player/converters/taggers/rippers than WMP(IMO), actually AFAIC…;)…Heck I’d even rip with iTunes before using WMP…
JM2cents worth…To each their own…[/QUOTE]

A fast computer (any computer sold today) can open WMAL in a flash, so speed doesn’t really matter. WMA is easier to work with windows, which is what all of my computers run on.

For hardware support, I use lossless for archiving, not for playback. Most people won’t use lossless on portable players.

What’s the difference between the hardware error checking of WMP and the secure mode of EAC? I ripped with WMP and the file integrity was perfect and decoded perfectly.

Lot’s of users are storing ALAC on their iPods…
So, what’s the point of your thread?..If WMP is so perfect, fine, don’t change…I’m certainly not going to suggest what is [I]best[/I] or “perfect”…Only my opinons and HE…
You did see the ,"whatever floats your boat, right?..And it looks like WMP is your cup-of- tea…
http://dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-cd-ripping.htm

Now I’m off to rip and add to my flac archive…
Cheers,
T

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2453270]Lot’s of users are storing ALAC on their iPods…
[/QUOTE]
What’s the point of this technical detail? Is “most people don’t use lossless” contradicting “lot’s of users are storing ALAC”? What is the further
significance of this triviality in the current context?

So, what’s the point of your thread?..If WMP is so perfect, fine, don’t change…I’m certainly not going to suggest what is best or “perfect”…Only my opinons and HE…
You have not bothered to interpret my questions, and instead turned this into a rant about how you could care less to tell others.

You did see the ,"whatever floats your boat, right?..
I’m not sure how this folk wisdom helps for the question of whether mainstream programs like itunes or WMP are decent from a professional/technical standpoint. Because according to the creators of EAC and such, they will say that their programs are superior to WMP, and this thread is to ask people knowledgable about the tech to give their opinions.

http://dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-cd-ripping.htm
But that doesn’t say anything about how WMP is worse than dbpoweramp. How do you know what capabilities and features WMP has? This is all about marketing his own program.

This is exactly the problem that I’m pointing out here, programs by “big companies” that are free (unlike dbpoweramp), are “evil” like brokenbuga said. And the programs that cost in addition to buying the OS, are supposed to be better. But I don’t know how they are better, EAC re-reads CDs more than 1 times to compare the results, it could also re-read a million times. I’m not sure how WMP does it, but I also am not sure if that’s necessary because I’m not a technician or engineer.

Sorry, but wtf? Difficult? It’s one of the easiest and well written programs i’ve ever seen! After configuring it and putting the lame.dll somehwere close by it’s just popping in a cd, alt-g, click on the mp3 icon and there you have your mp3’s!

and now use WMP 12 for ripping. WMP converts the files directly to WMA lossless, and I don’t have to do anything else. It also allows the drive to do error checking.
As does EAC automatically.

lso with the drives, some drives like the Samsung SH203B get such a following, now they are discontinued but so many people still prefer it over the newer models
Less crap, more hardware error checking. Some writer brand and types also have interesting features regarding ripping and the possibility to use other firmware that opens up even more possbilities on the drive.

What’s all this problem with "use this burner for DVD+R, use that one for CD-R, use that one for DVD-RAM, and use this program for ripping, that one for burning…"
Quality can matter in due time, because the media brand and writing strategy chosen can do wonders for media that is bound to deteriorate over time.

[QUOTE=Goit;2453250]Isn’t that just paranoia?

NO flaming![/QUOTE] You want to accuse others of being paranoid but don’t want to be flamed yourself? If you dish it out, you should be prepared to receive it in return! :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2453373]You want to [B]accuse[/B] others of being paranoid but don’t want to be [B]flamed[/B] yourself? If you dish [B]it[/B] out, you should be prepared to receive [B]it[/B] in return! ;)[/QUOTE]
I don’t know what you consider as “flaming”. It seems that you just don’t like anything that is skeptical about software and the reviews promoted on this site, then started making witty remarks out of context against me.

What is “accuse” by your definition? You have equated it in nature with flaming, with the word “it”, however, when used in a law court is an “accusation” the same as “flaming” in the internet sense? A parallel to your argument would be if someone beat up another for criticizing him, then went on to say that being criticized is just like being assaulted. And with a wisdom remark “If you dish [B]it/B out, you should be prepared to receive [B]it/B in return!”

If a doctor tells a patient “you are getting paranoid about your health, don’t worry so much.” Is that an “accusation” against the patient that should expect “flaming” from the patient in return?

Sorry, but wtf? Difficult? It’s one of the easiest and well written programs i’ve ever seen! After configuring it and putting the lame.dll somehwere close by it’s just popping in a cd, alt-g, click on the mp3 icon and there you have your mp3’s!

It’s much more of a hassel to use than WMP, to encode ripped music you need to set up a chain of programs, much more difficult than doing it directly with WMP or itunes.

As does EAC automatically.
That was not meant to demonstrate how WMP is superior, that was supposed to question how EAC was superior.

Quality can matter in due time, because the media brand and writing strategy chosen can do wonders for media that is bound to deteriorate over time.

But optical media are supposed to last for decades, even burnt ones. How long has DVD+R existed? For all of the quality brands, such as Verbatim, Sony, HP, etc… the newer formats like DVD+R are still young in their lifespan.

Ripping apps like WMP do not verify audio other than what the drive reports…And not all drives report errors all the time…This is where rippers using AccurateRip and secure modes have the advantage…
Many drives silence the errors (interpolate), leaving sections of ‘silence’ instead of audio…AccurateRip is able to verify and separate bad tracks…

[B]"[/B]About ripping accuracy: The problem with CDs is that they were designed with only moderate [I]error correction[/I] in mind, because there was a fall-back strategy of interpolating missing data, or substituting silence. In casual listening this is generally adequate…
If you rip to a file then there is the possibility that the file will be permanently marred with these [I]inaccurate[/I] data points, even if the CD is brand-new and unscratched. This is why a “secure” ripper takes extra steps to ensure accuracy…“
To verify the accuracy rip with EAC or dBpoweramp/AccurateRip. If you get a match to the database then you are assured of good data. Failing this the various “secure” modes of EAC or dBpoweramp are the next best verification.[B]”[/B]

@Goit, I was going to quote your "Isn’t that just paranoia, “No flaming”?..But I see DrageMester beat me to it…
Call it “paranoia” if [I]you[/I] like, but that’s why, I and many,many, many people prefer ripping with EAC or dBPA, even JRiver, over WMP or iTunes…
Once again, “to each their own”…

I’m off to load/sync some lossless AAC’s on my iPod, yes via iTunes…:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Goit;2453800]But optical media are supposed to last for decades, even burnt ones.[/quote] I am not to sure about that.

How long has DVD+R existed?

mid 2002.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2454486]I am not to sure about that.
[/quote]
The original point was to question how can you decide conclusively which method/drive can achieve what results, if DVDs generally can last for decades. You are not “sure” about what? I said they are designed to last that long, and your link says that generally they are very reliable, that guy only had 1 bad one in his 400+ collection, and that optical media is a very reliable investiment. With one bad DVD in a 400+ collection, that’s a too small sample size for any statically significant conclusion. (i.e. that one DVD and the burning method for that DVD was bad)

mid 2002.

That was a rhetorical question, since the DVD+R existed for such short time, how can any conclusive result be determined of which drive is good at what? The drives and programs get updated almost every year (new Nero versions etc…)

[QUOTE=Goit;2455339]The original point[/quote] Stop talking in circles woman :slight_smile:

was to question how can you decide conclusively which method/drive can achieve what results, if DVDs generally can last for decades. You are not “sure” about what?
It has been proved with cd’s that the reliability sucks and DVD are somewhat the same setup. Again this cannot be sure after 10 years, but i wouldn’t trust dvd for 100% accurate reliability

The drives and programs get updated almost every year (new Nero versions etc…)
Ah yes, Nero 9 is so much better than 7.

Tell you what… let’s end this endless discussion right here right now. Let us have an opionion about it and nothing more.