Danger to OC a Lite-ON CDRW

vbimport

Hi all,

I just order my first Lite-On CDRW drive, a 40125s. I saw here that it can be OC to 48x12x48x... my question is :

Does the real 48x have the exactly same hardware ?? I dont want to OC it and after 1 or 2 month getting a dead CDRW drive because he burned higher than he really can ... You know What I mean ??

Thank you in advance for all your comments ...

GoldstarQC

The sticky thread at the top of the Liteon forum has experiences of various Liteon owners who have chosen to overclock. You might want to go thru that.

No one can explicitly assure that the drive will not burn out in a couple of months. However, it’s highly unlikely that OC will really damage the drive.

For all we know the real 48X drives may have better pickup head and motor and other parts…

So overclocking may give problems or shorter lifetime…but we do not know anything for sure.

All I’m looking at from the burner is a lifespan of 1 year before I bury it and get a DVD burner or EVD…:smiley:

So it doesn’t really matter that overclocking might reduce the lifespan. It’s a choice that everyone makes for him/herself.

Well, i agree that OCing may short lifetime, but i only want to CAN burn cds at 48x sometimes. But when using not-high-quality media i’ll always burn at 32x or 40x speeds, so i’m not overcloking all the time. What do you think?

If i have a 32125W@48125W recorder and i always burn at 24x or 32x due to media, and sometimes i burn at 48x, i am shorting the lifetime of my CDRW, too?

In short, I don’t think so. But if your drive fails while you had it overclocked and cannot be flashed down anymore I’m afraid you may not be able to have it fixed under warranty.

An overclocked drive burning at 40X or 32X should not experience any particular stress since the motor was designed to run at up to 48X anyway (read speed) and that the laser is not overly taxed, staying within burning speed parameters.

“Overclocking” is a mis-used term. You are not increasing the clock speed or the internals of the drive to a high frequency. It’s more like “unlocking” the speed. In the case of making a 40/12/48 a 48/12/48 all that you are doing is unlocking the last 8x for write speed. The drive is capable of spinning a disc at the required RPM and the pickup assembly is also capable of reading and performing error correction at the read speed of 48x. By unlocking it you are also allowing it to write at the same speed it reads. The only stress difference or quality difference would be the laser assemblies ability to burn the die at high speed. It is either increasing the lasers power output at the outer edge of the disc, or not burning the pits as deep beyond it’s rated speed. Actually, depending on the media and the dye process it may be able to burn the die at a higher speed without increasing the output power due to an efficient dye.

Now going from a 32 to a 40 would still make sense since the 32 reads at 40, but going from the 32 to a 48 could possible be stressing the drive components. If so, then so what? How long did you keep your last cdwriter before you upgraded? If it burns out 3 years from now are you going to be upset when you ditch your 32/10 burner for one with newer features, better compatability and a higher write speed for less than the one you are replacing?

Even if you unlock your 40 to do 48 it will still burn faster at 40 than your 40 would at 40 (higher average write speed) and it won’t decrease your write buffer size like the new firmware does.

I guess the real test here would be to take apart both drives and examine the components.

According to Mender, the drives have the same components. You can check the whole discussion in The Big Lite-On FAQ and overclocking thread.

Lets not forget that the 48x firmware starts at 22x instead of 18x, and when burning at 48x you get true CAV burning. All we really need is some real 48x media!