Dane-Elec shows off USB 3.0 HDD device

I just posted the article Dane-Elec shows off USB 3.0 HDD device.

Dane-Elec tipped its hand by showing off several new USB 3.0 compatible external hard disk drives, with storage sizes ranging from 500GB up to 2TB.

Read the full article here: [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21171-dane-elec-shows-off-usb-3-0-hdd-device.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21171-dane-elec-shows-off-usb-3-0-hdd-device.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hmmmm…transfer 1Gb of data in just 3.3 seconds I just don’t see that happening
as that is the theoretical max transfer rate while we all know no one ever really sees
the max rate all the time if ever. I just wonder how long it will be before we see any
of the new SATA III devices if we ever do. :confused: :confused:

They showed off a comparison between USB2 and USB3.

It took…

USB2 to transfer a file in 40seconds.
USB3 to transfer that same file in !! 4 seconds !!.

USB3 = 10x faster than USB2 = if that doesn’t remotely get you excited then… bah!

If the devices hooked into USB3 can keep up THEN and only THEN should anyone be excited.

THEN is has to translate into a real world benefit.

THEN I will upgrade :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=thudo;2453512]They showed off a comparison between USB2 and USB3.

It took…

USB2 to transfer a file in 40seconds.
USB3 to transfer that same file in !! 4 seconds !!.

USB3 = 10x faster than USB2 = if that doesn’t remotely get you excited then… bah![/QUOTE]Never trust a benchmark you haven’t faked yourself.

The average real world transfer rate of HDD is in the order of magnitude of 90 MB/sec (or even less).
The typical real world transfer rate of a USB 2.0 connection is about 30 MB/sec. That’s 3x, not 10x. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2453697]Never trust a benchmark you haven’t faked yourself.

The average real world transfer rate of HDD is in the order of magnitude of 90 MB/sec (or even less).
The typical real world transfer rate of a USB 2.0 connection is about 30 MB/sec. That’s 3x, not 10x. :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

110% agree :iagree:

Could be very useful for SSD though :slight_smile:

More bandwidth can be used for:

• external PNP raid enclosures
  • more peripherals in the same bus like IEEE1394 ( firewire )
  • video capture
  • CDFreaks dream of full speed 24x DVD or 8x-12x BD-R burning over USB :bigsmile:

I think that USB3.0 will be used against e-sata as a more generic connectivity to general purpose and mass storage devices.

Anyone knows if the USB 3.0 works in a isochronous way ( full duplex with independent RX/TX chanels ) like IEEE1394 ?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2453697]Never trust a benchmark you haven’t faked yourself.

The typical real world transfer rate of a USB 2.0 connection is about 30 MB/sec. That’s 3x, not 10x. :)[/QUOTE]Yeaahh hard to fake when other unrelated sites showcase the exact thing.

What’s wrong with my calculation?

[QUOTE=thudo;2454229]Yeaahh hard to fake when other unrelated sites showcase the exact thing.[/QUOTE]Most of these articles are based on press material from the manufacturer.

Michael

I’ve seen multiple benchmarks from different sites so it looks legit – so far. Marketting hype? Perhaps…

However, I am quite pissed by THIS DEVELOPMENT. What a damn shame stupid Intel! Mehhhhh!

[QUOTE=thudo;2455008]I’ve seen multiple benchmarks from different sites so it looks legit – so far. Marketting hype? Perhaps…

However, I am quite pissed by THIS DEVELOPMENT. What a damn shame stupid Intel! Mehhhhh![/QUOTE]

Hopefully AMD will include it in their chip-sets long before Intel does maybe this will give
AMD the shot it needs to get ahead of Intel in the market place for a change. :iagree:

The USB 3.0 HDD the max rate is ok. What can be done to use two USB 3.0 HDD and run them in a Raid 0 array config. Is this possable??