Damn Useless OPtimiser tools

Not sure if this is the right place or forum for this, but I am so angry at the developers of PC Optimiser Pro 6…it came free on the DVD that you get with the Windows XP magazine. I installed it in an attempt to optimise my Internet connection. But it didn’t really make a difference so I uninstalled it. That part worked fine…but then when I rebooted, I noticed that my PC seemed to load slower than before, and when I logged on, the desktop icons took ages to load…and the Start menu was real slow to respond too. So what the hell has done this?

Also, my STart menu has been changed…even though I did not select this option in the optimiser tool. Something has been changed in the registry by this optimiser tool, and it has slowed my PC down…

How do I know what it is…and how do I fix it? :a :a :a

What makes it worse is that it came in a WIndows XP magazine!!!

see if it installed other software along with it - traverse through your add/remove software list - thats a good place to start as well as check your startups such as msconfig

Good point…I did look through the add/remove programs…and there was nothing extra installed…but I didn’t look at msconfig to see if there has been anything changed there.

It just seems that the PC is working alot harder/slower to load windows…

It would be nice to have a list of exactly which registry keys these programs modify…

Try to to a system restore to a date previous at this installation. This should remove all crap in your registry (and also in your HD)

I have used the Windows System Restore before…and it worked well…but this time when I tried to use it to go back 2 days (which is prior to my installing this dreaded software) and the System Restore was unsuccessful! So I tried 3 days old restore point…and it too failed. So I am at a loss!!

You could give StartUpCPL a try (download here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to see if there are hidden programs starting…

Or also Autoruns. Is a bit complicated, but very informative. And also free :bigsmile:

Thanks guys, I’ll give them a go tonight…