Damn....Need Help deciding BEST QUALITY INK JET printer. "Epson Stylus Photo R1900"? anything better?

vbimport

whats up guys? glad to be here. I’ve been reading alot of opinions on certain things on this site and I have to first give u guys your props before asking my question. So props i give…

You guys put me up on ty watershield dvd’s over verbatin and I’m happy with my purchase. Only probelm I’m having now is that I’m looking for the BEST ink jet printer my money can buy. (like 500)…I already feel like I kind of gambled and lost by buying a DYMO DISC PAINTER. I don’t know if u guys are familiar with it but its a good cd printer, I’m just looking for MUCH BETTER. Professional better. I need help. a couple of ppl have mentioned the EPSON R1900. But before I buy it I just wanna know if anybody here had any experience print wise with it, and does it give u GOD LIKE IMAGE QUALITY…If not, whats Better than the Epson R1900?

opinions are appreciated.

p.s. - the dymo disc painter images just were’nt fully colored. cylindrically around the disc u could see which way the color was being pressed on. it has clockwise small breaks in the coloring.

It appears that you are asking about disc printing, primarily. Printable discs do not have an adequate surface for true high-res printing, like photo paper does.
Nor do the printer driver settings allow true high-res disc printing. In short, you can spend as much as you wish on a printer, but discs will come out looking much like they do on a $100 printer.
Rather than spending more money, spend some time learning about monitor calibration and printer driver settings, color profiles, etc, and learn to get the most out of your printer. The Canon IP4500 uses 1 pl droplet technology that is unsurpassed in much more expensive printers of any brand. Expensive 6 or 8 color printers will not produce sharper looking discs, though colors may be subtly improved. (again depends on proper system and printer calibration)

You’re already using the best printable discs available. Though it’s good to note that there is a huge range of intensity in the white printable discs, and the best results are obtained with the brightest coating. For a more subtle, matte-like finish, and I think a bit more resolution, try some Verbatim Gloss. Though the Verbatim is not as true a white as the TY.

I have the ty’s already.

and I’m using a dymo disc painter. I understand what your saying about the calibration and stuff but I think my problem is a little different. the dvd images that are printing look great on the preview, but when PRINTED they are slightly broken up. I could fix color calibration if that was a problem. I just think the dymo disc painter is’nt as good as lets say the epson r1900

That printer is pretty weird, and I don’t think I can comment on what might be wrong with it. It’s still inkjet though, so the same basic things apply. As I said, you’re wasting money to spend more than $100 on a printer for discs, because they won’t look any better on a more expensive printer.

1st, the R1900 uses pigment ink, which does not work well at all on discs. Discs are designed for dye-based inks. 2nd, spending that much for a disc printer is like buying a Mercedes for grocery runs. Unless you need high-volume or automated printing, a basic printer will do very well.

I have been using the Epson R800 printer for a about a year. When TY came out with the watersheilds I was so excited. Problem is that using this printer, it prints great (using Surething Software - the best) and on some occasions it still doesn’t dry and it smears. I love these TY watersheilds because they really look fantastic, but on occasion they don’t dry. I have been researching myself to get the best prints. I heard about the cannon ip4500, which I might buy just to try for the TY watersheilds. I think the epsons are not good for TY watersheilds, my opinion. Unless someone tells me the best settings for it, if they do, then I would suggest you buying this unit instead of a more expensive one.

[QUOTE=mn07206565;2104594]I have been using the Epson R800 printer for a about a year. When TY came out with the watersheilds I was so excited. Problem is that using this printer, it prints great (using Surething Software - the best) and on some occasions it still doesn’t dry and it smears. I love these TY watersheilds because they really look fantastic, but on occasion they don’t dry. I have been researching myself to get the best prints. I heard about the cannon ip4500, which I might buy just to try for the TY watersheilds. I think the epsons are not good for TY watersheilds, my opinion. Unless someone tells me the best settings for it, if they do, then I would suggest you buying this unit instead of a more expensive one.[/QUOTE]
If you’re using the pigment inks, that’s your problem. You’ll see the same things on any printable disc, not just Watershield. Even the dye-based Epson inks will smear more than Canon inks, but pigment ink is pretty much a no-go for discs.

CDan i guess your right. So the Cannon IP4500 is better becasue of the 1 ink droplet. This will produce better results on a printable disc?

[QUOTE=mn07206565;2104627]CDan i guess your right. So the Cannon IP4500 is better becasue of the 1 ink droplet. This will produce better results on a printable disc?[/QUOTE]

Check out the sticky thread on Canon vs Epson. Either one will give you very nice discs. The Canon will do it faster and cheaper, and also has lots of other features for daily printing.

cdan I wish I could just SHOW U what I’m talkin about. if i could just get color to cover the Entire disc I would be happy honestly. real small marks of inconsistency show that the whole disc is’nt being covered. either light white marks or 2 shaded colors print out from the dvds

[QUOTE=Breez 50-50;2104748]cdan I wish I could just SHOW U what I’m talkin about. if i could just get color to cover the Entire disc I would be happy honestly. real small marks of inconsistency show that the whole disc is’nt being covered. either light white marks or 2 shaded colors print out from the dvds[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the print head is clogged or dying. Since it prints in a circular motion, “banding” would appear as circular lines in the image. In a normal printer, banding results in horizontal lines of either no ink or off-colored ink. You can try different settings for the resolution or print quality, and you might get around it. If it has a print head cleaning routine, use it.

please excuse me for opening this thread, but i would like to know the dymo cd printer that you stated is it this one?

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainterVideo/Video.html

http://www.supermediastore.com/dymo-discpainter-cd-dvd-printer.html#description

what do people think of that printer vs the expson rx680?

i use TY 8x dvd-r with printable surface, the text is clear but i feel as if its not satured kind of like dull er then the original disc.

would that dymo be any better?

Looky Here