Damage a CD-Rom on purpose

I know this is probably the wierdest question in the world but I need help with some evil trickery.

I’m sick and tired of my CD-Rom at work and I would love to get a new one. The problem is that according to company policy, nothing won’t be replaced unless it is broken. I need to break this CD-Rom to get a new CD-RW. I thought of physically damaging it, but that would bring on too much suspicion. I need a different solution. Something that looks authentic. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Pr0zZaC
[B]I know this is probably the wierdest question in the world but I need help with some evil trickery.

I’m sick and tired of my CD-Rom at work and I would love to get a new one. The problem is that according to company policy, nothing won’t be replaced unless it is broken. I need to break this CD-Rom to get a new CD-RW. I thought of physically damaging it, but that would bring on too much suspicion. I need a different solution. Something that looks authentic. Thanks for any help. [/B]

I imagine a trick that vandals used to use in high school with floppy drives would work…just glue something abrasive (sand, piece of sandpaper, etc) to the surface of a CD and let the drive try to read it. (Some stories I’ve read even claimed that they glued a match head to the disk and started a fire in the drive. Not sure if that would actually work or not, never wanted to waste a disk drive to see)

Super glue could work wonders too.

Maybe liquid paper on the brush of one of those cleaning CDs?

I guess it all really depends on how good the techs at your company are and how much they really care.

Hmm…how fast is the drive? If it’s over 50x, take a look at some of the other threads here about cheap CDRs that explode in high speed drives. For that matter, you could break a CD into 3 or 4 pieces, put the pieces on the tray, and see what happens when it spins up.

(I can’t believe I’m the first to respond to this…I’m sure you guys have ideas a lot more creative than these)

For that matter, go read some of the stories at www.techtales.com - some of them really happened.

Almost forgot, here’s some classic “inspirational” reading:
http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html

I have heard stories of CDs being shattered inside the drive…
I have been told this could happen because CDs are out of balance…
Furthermore, I can imagine this would happen even faster when the CD is already faulty (week) somehow…

But I would have no idea how to purposely damage property that is not your own…

Personally, I would suggest you start looking for a new one becoz if I was your boss, I’d fire you immedietly if I ever found out.

Also, I’d advice against trying anything too silly. Trying to break a CD in your drive is not a good idea. Firstly, you’d have to choose a CD which is okay for them to find in your drive but is not something that is even slightly important. Even if they don’t realise you did it on purpose, you could still get in trouble some how or other if it breaks in your drive and is even midly important (this could include software CDs BTW). Secondly, and more importantly, altho no ones has yet been injured, do you really want to be the first? (And it should be noted I have heard of possibly false reports of equipement being damaged) It’s always possible, especially if you do it on purpose. You could push the button and run away but if nothing happens then what? Try again? Someone may get suspicious if you keep running away from you drive or if they find out you seemingly ran away before you knew anything was wrong. And not to mention you could hurtn someone else or even get hurt when you run away. However, breaking up a CD into pieces probably won’t work. Reason being becoz it would need to actually pick up the CD to try and spin it. Damaging it might work but IMHO, it’s not really that easy to get on to break up even in 56x drives (many reports are likely false and the number of reports is small anyway).

One thing you could try would be to put a piece of loose cellotape or a label or something on a disc in you drive. I had this happen on once (not on purpose) and it totally killed the drive (sticky stuff would appear on the bottom of cds regularly). Glue etc may also work. Altho trying to explain how this happened will be difficult not to mention the fact they could try to force you to pay for it and any cds damaged in the process may also piss them off. abrasives, sand paper etc may work but you will need to make sure it reaches the laser. And once again explaining it will be tricky (altho thankfully, you’re not likely to damage any cds other the one which you stuck the sandpaper/whatever which does not have to be a legitmate cd). Even worse if the thing comes of the CD and goes into your drive.

Some CD readers, even old ones, are firmware updateable. A bad flash will probably kill it altho once again, explaining it will be difficult.

If you really want to know, I can’t think of anything which will not be hard to explain other then the very risky blowing up cd in you drive option (which also requires a high speed drive which seems unlikely given you sick and tired of it, unless of coz, you’re just a greedy idiot who wants something you don’t really need). Perhaps you could try getting them to exchange it with one from another comp (spare will be preferable to avoid making enemies). If you really had a good reason, I suspect you could do something without breaking it. Also, don’t be surprised if they give you back a equivalent drive which they have in store or and even worse one (Especially if you’re just plain fussy).

Originally posted by Pr0zZaC
[B]I know this is probably the wierdest question in the world but I need help with some evil trickery.

I’m sick and tired of my CD-Rom at work and I would love to get a new one. The problem is that according to company policy, nothing won’t be replaced unless it is broken. I need to break this CD-Rom to get a new CD-RW. I thought of physically damaging it, but that would bring on too much suspicion. I need a different solution. Something that looks authentic. Thanks for any help. [/B]

I agree with Nil Einne that you are going about this the wrong way. If it’s that important buy the CDRW yourself, a 32x is $20 or something now, they aren’t going to get much cheaper. You didn’t say that there is anything actually wrong with the drive…it would be wrong to destroy working company property which they paid for in order to get them to buy you a new CDRW.

Don’t wreck havoc on it on purpose , but …

accidents happen… I’ve seen coffee spilt over keyboards , people tripping and falling on open cd trays , pushed the tray back in way too fast , flower pots falling on trays… you name it…

be a little creative and make sure your co-workers are not watching this thread.

not that i imply you should fake accidents or something… heavens … no …

Hi everybody,

I appreciate all that helped me with some great idea’s. I especially liked the crazy glue. However, I am quite comfortable with my morals and if I wanted a morality check you sure did provide me with one.

The problem all lies with the fact that my company is very un-computer savy and they have not provided any sort of means of a backup plan. Because my HD is the biggest, I have been backing up most of the company’s vitals onto my computer. Now if HD happens to go “bye-bye”, imagine what will happen to the data. I have been lobbying the company, including the GM, to get me a RW to back this data up. Every time their reply is “Is it broken?”. This is obviously in the nudge-nudge wink-wink catergory. So that is why I started here to see if I could get some creative help. I didn’t expect to get this sort of response from a thread that I thought might be some fun.

Thank you to all those who replied, but honestly, I know what I’m doing.

This has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with what is smart. If your company is really so dumb, it won’t be that hard to convince them to get you a new drive without breaking the old one… And you still haven’t explained why you need a CDRW drive either. There are other backup options and more importantly, why do you need the CDRW drive? Can’t it gone in someone else’s computer? And why do you need to get a rid of you CD drive to get a CDRW drive? You can have both you know. You seem to be going about this the wrong way. If you’re asking them to replace you CD drive with a CDRW drive so you can make backups, no wonder you’re not getting anyway. To me and to them you sound like a greedy pig from your first post. It sounded as if you wanted to get rid of a perfectly good CD drive so that you can have a CDRW drive. Why don’t you tell them you need something, perhaps a CDRW drive to make backups? It does not have to be in your computer but there needs to be one in the office. It’s not replacing anything. You’ll probably have to do a bit of explaining but there is almost certain to be a way to do it. If you really cared about your company’s data, you would do something smart about it rather then destroying their propert so that you get a CDRW drive.

The way you are doing it, you’re probably going to end out of a job and owing money when you didn’t have to do any of this in the first place.

I’m giving up on this thread. Say what you want, but I’m not really interested in improving your morals. That’s up to you. I am however not interested in seeing you come back and complain you got fired or killed your boss or whatever becoz you followed a dumb idea.

I often had to bring my own CD writers and sometimes even whole sets of PC. Hard enough to persuade the management to agree to increase memory from 64MB to 256MB.

Ok first of all, you may not have a job, if the drive is intentionally destroyed.

If there is no type of backup plan in effect and there is missin critical data on site then, politley ask for a cd-rw drive. Explain to your bosses that tape drives are to expensive and takes time and effort to correctly tape drives up. On the other hand explain to them cd’s are cheap-o…

Maybe it’ll work and then who knows.