Daemon Tools Pro officially released

I just posted the article Daemon Tools Pro officially released.

The makers of Daemon Tools has officially launched its Daemon Tools Pro suite. Daemon tools is a disk emulation suite, which is capable of mounting disc images such as iso, nrg, dmg, etc. files…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13471-Daemon-Tools-Pro-officially-released.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13471-Daemon-Tools-Pro-officially-released.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Adware :r

buy it then?

How can we buy it if we cannot even try it out without internet activation and forced adware installation?

“man are you ignorant… how many times do people have to explain there are legitimate uses for this kind of software… backup does not automatically equate to piracy.” 1) I am not ignorant; it might be not plain piracy in all cases - but visiting some piracy forums, you see how pirates are happy with DT. 2) This product targets specific copy protections and it CIRCUMVENTS copy control measures - which is ILLEGAL in most sane jurisdictions (“Some TAGES grabbed images utilize up to 100% CPU time in certain configurations;”) - Here they target TAGES. It is not a general-purpose ODD emulator, it has features to SPECIFICALLY AND PURPOSEDLY target other specific copy control measures. "and as for violating one of the multitude of fascist garbage items in the EULA, oh well. we’re supposed to have rights, much of what is in EULAs isnt even lawful itself. nuff said. " That still does not grant him the right to reverse-enginner game loaders whcih are protected by EULAs and copyrights, pretty much like any commercial software. It is then very hypocritical to have something like this in the DT EULA: ------------------------------------------------------------------ “The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. DT Soft Ltd or its suppliers own the title, copyright and other intellectual property rights contained in the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.” Then it continues: 2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS • Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation. ------------------------------------------------------------------ This is quoted from the DT eula. This is pathetic, as he admitted himself to reverse engineer game loaders, protected under similar conditions themselves: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=323674&postcount=41 Clearly breaching the EULAs of these products, yet he wishes for his own to be respected - THIS IS A DOUBLE STANDARD. :r
This message was edited at: 05-07-2007 07:05

Hear, Hear, miha! You are a saint! :+ :S Check out the nice plump blunt in my mouth. :stuck_out_tongue:

A program with adware? I guesss I won’t be using it.

Does anyone know of good freeware/open source alternatives to dtools? Imgburn is the best fw software ever!

I’m still using CloneCD with VirtualCloneDrive, and it works great! No adware to speak of. How can you trust a company that doesn’t respect your privacy anyway? Also, where have you people been? Daemon Tools had adware ever since version 4 was released!

If you don’t like the software then don’t use it. Since version 4 you have also had the option of not installing and/or removing it. People that complain about something going commerical usually don’t want to pay for it and think it should always be free, use the free version and select the box to not install the adware, it’s that easy. I for one don’t know wether it’s worth the price or not to buy it. I have all my originals backed up with Alcohol and the images are stored on the server, if they keep updating the free Daemon Tools, it’s probably enough for me right now. Never saw the need for more than one disc device anyways much less 32, although its nice to make images that keep the original disc intact with A120 and use them on DT, I heard this version will also let you make images, if thats true it may be a better all in one tool once the imaging portion is up to A120 standards.

“man are you ignorant… how many times do people have to explain there are legitimate uses for this kind of software… backup does not automatically equate to piracy.” 1) I am not ignorant; it might be not plain piracy in all cases - but visiting some piracy forums, you see how pirates are happy with DT. 2) This product targets specific copy protections and it CIRCUMVENTS copy control measures - which is ILLEGAL in most sane jurisdictions (“Some TAGES grabbed images utilize up to 100% CPU time in certain configurations;”) - Here they target TAGES. It is not a general-purpose ODD emulator, it has features to SPECIFICALLY AND PURPOSEDLY target other specific copy control measures. "and as for violating one of the multitude of fascist garbage items in the EULA, oh well. we’re supposed to have rights, much of what is in EULAs isnt even lawful itself. nuff said. " That still does not grant him the right to reverse-enginner game loaders whcih are protected by EULAs and copyrights, pretty much like any commercial software. It is then very hypocritical to have something like this in the DT EULA: ------------------------------------------------------------------ “The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. DT Soft Ltd or its suppliers own the title, copyright and other intellectual property rights contained in the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.” Then it continues: 2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS • Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation. ------------------------------------------------------------------ This is quoted from the DT eula. This is pathetic, as he admitted himself to reverse engineer game loaders, protected under similar conditions themselves: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=323674&postcount=41 Clearly breaching the EULAs of these products, yet he wishes for his own to be respected - THIS IS A DOUBLE STANDARD. :r

miha wrote " Bottom line: the commercialization of products which are DESIGNED to bypass or trick copy control measures is WRONG. " "Daemon Tools is not an innocent product the nature of which mimics the behaviour of an ODD, it targets specific copy control systems, look at their change log: " — man are you ignorant… how many times do people have to explain there are legitimate uses for this kind of software… backup does not automatically equate to piracy just a couple months ago i had a dvd drive eject and the game disc was not centered, it was scratched and now is unusuable. Unfortunately I was using the original, but good for me I had a backup. Without that backup or this kind of software I would have to rebuy the game. Now I think using a controversial adware is probably foolish, but the software itself is not wrong. Ppl like you can go kiss the behind of the industry. :r and as for violating one of the multitude of fascist garbage items in the EULA, oh well. we’re supposed to have rights, much of what is in EULAs isnt even lawful itself. nuff said.

miha wrote " Bottom line: the commercialization of products which are DESIGNED to bypass or trick copy control measures is WRONG. " "Daemon Tools is not an innocent product the nature of which mimics the behaviour of an ODD, it targets specific copy control systems, look at their change log: " — man are you ignorant… how many times do people have to explain there are legitimate uses for this kind of software… backup does not automatically equate to piracy just a couple months ago i had a dvd drive eject and the game disc was not centered, it was scratched and now is unusuable. Unfortunately I was using the original, but good for me I had a backup. Without that backup or this kind of software I would have to rebuy the game. Now I think using a controversial adware is probably foolish, but the software itself is not wrong. Ppl like you can go kiss the behind of the industry. :r and as for violating one of the multitude of fascist garbage items in the EULA, oh well. we’re supposed to have rights, much of what is in EULAs isnt even lawful itself. nuff said.

Miha, Not everyone uses such software to infringe copyright laws. I myself use it so I don’t have to swap disks constantly (which is why I like steam as well). Frankly copyright protection schemes punish the legitimate user while only being a speedbump for commercial pirates. Such protections ATM are way over the line and I am for anything, commercial or otherwise, that makes my life easier. You say they are making more work for macrovision, I say macrovision is just making more work for them. Art