Daemon device

vbimport

I just got some spam from Daemon Virtual Device. What exactly does it do.
I have a vague idea of what a Virtual device is but not much. Any help? Thanks

It’s probably Daemon Tools which is a virtual drive package for mounting ISOs etc.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2617435]It’s probably Daemon Tools which is a virtual drive package for mounting ISOs etc.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks Wombler, what is the advantage of mounting an ISO with Daemon in virtual drive as opposed to a hard drive? Not too sure how virtual drive actually operate.

You can access and use the files in the ISO as if it was an actual CD/DVD etc.

A lot of people use ISOs for storing DVD images as it reduces everything down to one file and some media streamers support direct playback of ISOs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It can be very handy to rip discs to an ISO file and have a good virtual drive program as well. If you are in the habit of testing your media, you can use an ISO with CdSpeed/Discspeed or Opti Drive Control to burn a test disc using something you need to burn to disc rather than the standard random data disc they would create otherwise.
Unfortunately, Windows and many playback software can’t access the files in the ISO. The virtual drive program takes the iso file and makes it appear to Windows or any other program as a disc in a DVD/BD drive, giving full access to it’s contents as if it were a physical DVD/BD drive. Easily used by video playback software or video conversion software. I use Virtual Clonedrive myself.

I’ve alway avoided Daemon Tools because what I’ve read about conflicts they can cause.
I too use Virtual Clonedrive from Elby(Elaborate bytes) or slysoft. I’ve never noticed any problems it caused. It adds “Close tray” to a right click on all DVD drives icon & I use that all the time.
I have read that Daemon Tools is useful & maybe even necessary for gamers to make backup copies of some games. I guess if I was doing that I would get a seperate computer to use it on.

One year ago DAEMON Tools introduced the option to use a “more hassle-free”, simple driver instead of SPTD.
SPTD by itself doesn’t cause those conflicts, it’s mostly security apps not standing to the rules:
http://www.matousec.com/info/articles/plague-in-security-software-drivers.php
But understandably enough the end user doesn’t care about the cause of such conflicts.

If it’s just plain ISOs Virtual CloneDrive is more than adequate, but when dealing with many different image types DAEMON Tools comes into play.