DAE question

Well, the general opinion seems to be that for quality DAE it’s best to use a plex drive with plextools.

I’ve got a Plexcombo (320A) and a Lite-on drive (48125W). Would I be better off extracting with the plex and burning with the lite-on or just doing everything with the plex?

I’m assuming that it’d be faster to use both drives and probably wear the plex less but would it affect the quality of the copy?

On the other hand, am I totally barking up the wrong tree? Would I be better off using EAC with the litey?

When the source disc is of good quality then you can use either drive to do DAE with. The PlexTools + Plextor drive combination is especially handy when the disc is scratched because PlexTools has an Advanced DAE setting which relies on the Plextor’s C2 error information. I can’t tell the difference between tracks ripped with EAC + Lite-On (or Plextor) and PlexTools + Plextor when the source of the disc is ok. When burning the extracted audio tracks the Plextor recorder does have an option for VariRec which can improve the quality of the recorded disc and make it more compatible with picky CD-players like a car stereo. More information on that can be found here.

Both drives stand out in fast Digital Audio Extraction. The PX-320A is able to reach speeds up to 40x and more. The LTR-48125W is capable of ripping audio CD’s up to 48x, one of the fastest drives available when it comes to DAE. Both drives are very fast digital audio extractors.

When the audio cd is damaged however, it’s a complete other story: a Plextor drive in combination with Plextors PlexTool is able to extract damaged audio tracks perfectly and is also very fast (faster than EAC).

Because you can’t always see on the outside if a cd is damaged (or not) I think DAE with the Plextor (using PlexTools) is the best choise.

Originally posted by !Xander!
I think DAE with the Plextor (using PlexTools) is the best choise.

Absolutely agree with that.

So, doing everything with the plex is the best option. No doubts 'bout it.

> When burning the extracted audio tracks the
> Plextor recorder does have an option for
> VariRec which can improve the quality of the
> recorded disc and make it more compatible
> with picky CD-players like a car stereo. More
> information on that can be found here.

Did you notice that on this document Plextor
guys show a diagram explaining that the lowest
jitter is obtained with default settings (ie no
VariRec) ? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by spath
Did you notice that on this document Plextor
guys show a diagram explaining that the lowest
jitter is obtained with default settings (ie no
VariRec) ? :slight_smile:
You mean, VariRec is set to 0

@Boskin: Why should one activate VariRec and then set it to zero?

Originally posted by alexnoe
@Boskin: Why should one activate VariRec and then set it to zero?

@alexnoe

Simply because there are 4 other options there.
VariRec is for adjusting the writing laser manually, right.
VariRec allows the user to manipulate this process and to manually set the laser power either lower or higher, which I would often do experimenting with the sound.
It could normally happen so, that the previously installed by me value was -1/+1, so when next activating VariRec I in this case had to set it to the default position, i.e. 0, manually.
Please note, that I’m here talking about the Feurio! settings.

(ie no VariRec )

This particular phrase means to me that there is no VariRec activated

> This particular phrase means to me that there
> is no VariRec activated

Hrm, and what difference do you think there is
betwen no VariRec and VariRec value 0 ?

Hrm, and what difference do you think there is
betwen no VariRec and VariRec value 0 ?

Once again, “no VariRec” means to me that the VariRec feature is not activated,
the box is unchecked, so the writing speed could be installed manually e.g @4x- 48x

Unlike “VariRec value 0” - this means that the VariRec feature is activated
and the value is set (by default or manually) to 0 .

Normally the writer adjusts the power of the writing laser by determining the optimal power for the inserted medium.
By activating “VariRec” you can modify the laser power. In certain cases for certain blanks and certain players you can get better results by this - but normally you should use the neutral setting.

WARNING: Particulary “extreme” VariRec settings (+2 or -2) could result in blanks, the won’t be detected by some CD-Roms/CD-Players!

REMARK: By activating “VariRec” the writing speed will be limited to 4x!

> Unlike “VariRec value 0” - this means that the
> VariRec feature is activated and the value is
> set (by default or manually) to 0 .

Hahaha, right. now serious replies only please :slight_smile:

Hahaha, right. now serious replies only please :slight_smile:

Now,

No VariRec = VariRec is NOT activated/ switched OFF
VariRec value 0 = the default setting, i.e 0, / no VariRec adjustment

I never thought of posting the following quotation here, but I guess it’s time now :

Overall, CD Freaks has a well deserved reputation for arrogance.
It is run for mods and admins, and not for the users.
…many of the mods/admins are troublesome or incompetent.
There are way too many of them in the first place. It reminds me of a juvenile gang.

Well I know I’m just a user and that alot of this talk is more technical than I can always understand. But I appreciate it, I wanna learn as much as possible. I just wish things were a little more easily explained. But hey, I know there are super techs here…
It’s not arrogance, it’s just passion for perfection…Right??:wink:

Hi,

According to cdrinfo’s tests, “VariRec +0” is worse than “VariRec disabled”.

So, perhaps BoSkin is right and there is really a difference between “VariRec +0” and “VariRec disabled”

Look here:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Jitter+Tests&index=7

Cheers.