DAE probs in EAC and CDex - sony CRX220A1/E1

vbimport

just got a Sony CRX220A1/E1 - 52x24x52 - liteon chipset i think

firmware 6YS2

i connected an analog cable to it but started hearing hardware noise - clicking when cd was

spinning at all, so i disconnected it. by default i have “Enable Digital CD Audio” checked

since i run winxp sp1. Reads fine through jetaudio. I can rip all the tracks through the IDE

cable as digital audio just fine through Cool Edit Pro 2.1 with Extract Audio From CD, and

with nero’s “Save Tracks”

however…CDex and EAC refuse to rip it at all, i enabled the "enable digital cd Audio

playback" in CDex, still can’t hear anything, although it looks like it is trying to read

it, but it reads it abnormally, since the green light is a constant on, instead of blinking,

like it is when i read it from nero, jetaudio, or cool edit. same thing with EAC.

i tried to see if analog ripping would work through eac and cdex, so i connected the cable

back up, and disabled digital cd audio in winxp for the drive. that didnt work. so i

disconnected the analog cable, and tried playing it back, oddly enough, i still heard the

tracks play, with digital cd audio disabled in winxp and the analog cable disconnected. it’s

like it never turned it off even after i unchecked it.

i have a 6 channel Iwill superaudio soundcard with SPDIF, should i get the 2 pin-2pin spdif

cable and hook it up to the digital cd output on the drive?

also, both eac and cdex have problem detecting the drive features, and accessing the drive.

i figured it might be the ASPI, i tried both forceaspi 1.7, and adaptec aspi 4.71.2, neither

made a diff. also tried using the nero aspi with cdex and eac, still no go - eac freezes.

also nero cdspeed gives me a “parameter value invalid” error. although the infotool is fine

at detecting everything

suggestions?
thx,
Leon