DAE observation: Works better at higher speeds for scratched CDs. Technical reasons?

I have tested it with audio CDs and audio CD-Rs on several different vendor drives, and all had this effect:

When running DAE on a damaged disc at lower speeds, there is less noise, which is understandable. But there is a side effect: The drive is more likely to get stuck (hiccup sounds; unresponsive). On some drives, skipping is hearable on the extracted audio.

When running DAE on a damaged disc at higher speeds, although the extracted audio has more noise, the drive never gets stuck and gracefully DAE’s through the damage.

What is the technical reason for this behaviour?

Also, am I the only person here to make the preceeding observation?

The last audio CD I ripped was years ago. But from what I remember, and I never played with the read speed, always leaving it to drive’s firmware, if the drive got stuck it basically meant the CD is no good and should not be ripped. There are so many faulty EAC rips floating around the net. And they are no good, no matter you get those “fine” logs with them. They contain “null segments” where the audio stream should have been. No one wants to listen to an interrupted stream of music. Thanks god for digital download distribution.