Da_Taxman

You might have been a little more informative with your response to my post. So, maybe you can tell me why you think ZML is an illegal download site? You see, with that information you wouldn’t be accusing me of something - which does not sit well with me.

While legal in Russia, it is not in most other countries. And this is an international forum.

If you know what you’re talking about feel free to express it. Cryptocrap is not helpful. In fact, it smells more like passive aggressive behavior.

As for my question - maybe taxman can offer an explanation.

Dusty. I just googled ZML+is it legal. Just the first few returns (even from places like arstechnica, specifically state that it is probably not a legal site…

You are fighting a losing battle here. Have you carefully read our forum rules?

1. You agreed to our forum rules when you signed up here
  2. I am here to enforce these rules (which I personally wrote by the way)
  3. I do not get paid for this
  4. I hate to admit it, but I am only human (I’ll never hear the end of this…) and I can be wrong
  5. No need to be disrespectful

[QUOTE=Duzty;2232204]I’m a Mac user and most software to convert MKV is not compatible. I have several HD movies I downloaded from ZML.com (rip off). Most of the downloads were DivX or DVD and were burned to disc w/o any problem and play fine on my Panasonic DMR-EZ485V.[/QUOTE]
The bold marked items lead me to believe that these are not legal downloads in the sense of our forum rules. The fact that my company firewall blocks this site didn’t help either. Nevertheless, if you can prove to me that you are talking about legal downloads, please provide it to me and I retract my previous statement and reopen the thread.

If you had actually read the forum rules you would have known opening a thread when you disagree with a decision is not the way we work around here. You should have sent me a PM and we could have discussed this privately, instead of bringing this out in the public…

Interesting response. Since CDfreaks.com is hosted in The Netherlands, and downloading movies is legal in The Netherlands, I wonder how that statement will hold.

I personally admin another international forum, so I can definately understand that caution is needed regarding these issues (especially since the .com domain is under US regulation).

Taxman, if you wanted me to converse with you through a PM you shouldn’t have audaciously made an accusation born out of assumptions. It is unprofessional and insulting. Perhaps if we knew each other better I could accuse you of disrespect as well. However, we are human.

You assumed I did not read the rules. You assumed I was illegally downloading movies and you assumed (this is the big one) I was aware of all of this. And you think I am going to scurry away into a PM with your accusations hanging out there? Not a chance. And it really irritates me that I have to get started with such BS to begin with.

Now, in spite of how disinterested I am in discussing this matter:

IMDB and Netflix both offer movie downloads and a search as well as recommended links from another forum (Mac users only) reveals a number of other sites that provide downloads with membership;

In fact these 3 sites (net movie downloads, the movie downloads and easy movie access) are regarded as the best sites for access, price, tech support and selection according to another site I visited. Nobody said a thing about illegal downloads and I read a lot of posts trying to figure this issue out;

The ZML “rip off” was a warning from me, to whomever, as a courtesy, because of ZML’s lack of support and billing standards. I have no idea why it has been so misconstrued to mean something entirely different.

Speaking for myself, I think I might have begun by asking if I knew that ZML was an illegal service. It still seems to be in debate, considering harley’s post, as to whether ZML is illegal (or not), but Harley seems to be taking a side in spite of his own uncertainty.

Now, if this is the playground of a cadré of members busy siding with each other then I’ll take my leave and seek the information elsewhere.

Goodbye, farewell,good luck,happy trails…
A lot of the movies found on ZML have not been released for retail sale anywhere in the world, so just because you pay something for them does not make them legal.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2233187]Goodbye, farewell,good luck,happy trails…
[B]A lot of the movies found on ZML have not been released for retail sale anywhere in the world, so just because you pay something for them does not make them legal.[/B][/QUOTE]

[B]Exactly.[/B]
[U]I visited that obscure site and its a illegal pay site, nothing more, nothing less.[/U]

To extend on this: Anyone who is member there ispaying for illegal downloads, and no lawyer can make this behaviour legal.

Jethro - A lot of the movies found on ZML have not been released for retail sale anywhere in the world

It’s doubtful you are any kind of authority on the matter. I’m sure your contribution helps to elevate the discussion, right?

chef - I visited that obscure site and its a illegal pay site, nothing more, nothing less.

That would be “[B]an[/B]” illegal…but then you sound more like a ditto head than another authority. Maybe you and jethro can get together and take it on the road.:flower:

Maybe someone would like to offer a link or something which can prove one way or another that the site is legal or otherwise.

Surely that should sort the matter out quickly enough.

Anyway, it seems like we aren´t the only ones with concerns about its legality

Currently ZML.com has titles unreleased on DVD such as Gran Torino, Taken, and even Slumdog Millionaire.

Still, if you are trying to be legal, better wait to rent it at Netflix or buy it on DVD.

http://www.clickfornick.com/tvonline/2009/02/zmlcom-movie-downloads-cheap-downloads-at-zmlcom.html

There´s lots of independent commentary but everything I could find points in the same direction. A further example

“All materials presented on this site are available for distribution over the internet in accordance with the license of the Russian Organisation for Multimedia and Digital Systems (ROMS) and intended for personal use only. Further distribution, resale or broadcasting is strictly prohibited,” ZML’s terms of service state, adding that [B]users cannot download files from the site if it violates the laws of their country[/B].

ROMS has been booted out of CISAC, the international copyright confederation, so [B]the legality of ZML’s service is almost certain to be challenged.[/B] [B]It can expect to encounter many of the problems faced by buccaneering music service AllofMP3.com.

AllofMP3.com’s founders face criminal proceedings in Russia as well as a raft of civil actions against the firm by the music industry internationally.[/B] Denis Kvasov, boss of Media Services, the company behind AllofMP3.com, was cleared of copyright violation in August.

The AllofMP3.com download service was suspended in July following pressure from the Russian government, which is in negotiations to enter the World Trade Organisation. Users can reportedly transfer balances to MP3Sparks, a sister site also run by Media Services but licensed under a different regime.

Even if AllofMP3.com returns it will face funding problems. Visa and Mastercard removed card processing facilities last year forcing AllofMP3.com to set up a voucher scheme, which itself led to the arrest of a UK reseller in May 2007.

ZML.com is hosted in [:doh:]the Netherlands, a factor that could improve download speeds but may bring legal problems sooner rather than later. The site does not accept Visa or Mastercard payments for films directly. Would-be ZML users must first register for an account and fund it before purchasing any content. It’s not immediately certain whether this process is secure.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/16/ituneski4films/

[QUOTE=Duzty;2233506]That would be “[B]an[/B]” illegal…but then you sound more like a ditto head than another authority. Maybe you and jethro can get together and take it on the road.:flower:[/QUOTE]

Please consider that not everyone is a native English speaker. Furthermore, challenging everyone’s authority that does not agree with you is not very respectful.

On the other matter, please consider that this forum has been around for a long time, has visitors from all over the world and our staff has seen many examples of illegal activity on this forum.

There are several ways of dealing with matters. On one side of the spectrum is a dictatorial approach, banning everyone at the slightest hint of breaking forum rules. On the other side of the spectrum is the absolute democracy, politely asking whether it is illegal, asking for an explanation and let voters decide on the verdict.

As you may appreciate, we prefer to take a road somewhere in between. We have to be practical and assume innocent until proven guilty, but the decisions are at the discretion of staff. Whether you like it or not, this is a privately owned forum and we reserve the right to close topics that we feel are not right for this forum. Nevertheless, we try to maintain a fair policy and give a lot of leeway to our visitors (not always to the liking of the respective authorities).

My decisions on this forum are based on many years of experience with users that visit our forums. The decisions may not be correct at all times, but I am always willing to listen to arguments when people feel that any of my decisions are wrong (or those of any other staff member). However, I am not going to debate every decision I make, that would take too much time and energy. Would this have been a paid job, I might feel different, but this is a hobby, in addition to (more than) a full time job and other social responsibilities.

Apparently I misinterpreted the ‘rip off’ comment, for that I apologize. Regardless, I stand by everything else I say. In your post above you have shown little respect to others and you have not provided me with proof that you were talking about legal downloads.

For the record, not every site where you pay for a download is legal. Where you download movies from sites as Netflix, this does not necessarily mean you are allowed to convert them and/or burn them to disc. The rules that apply are a combination of applicable laws and (end user) license agreements.

This is the last I am going to say about this. If you feel that you are not treated right, that is too bad, but you can leave at any time.

Apparently you have a better understanding of what is legal and what is not, although I have yet to see anything remotely definitive about what is legal and what is not, particularly regarding the rip off site called ZML.

As Admin you have a responsibility to tread lighter than those more interested in being snide and caustic, which, unfortunately, seems to be the greater inclination of at least a few I have had the misfortune to encounter here.

Instead of letting go of the least important issue you have obsessed with it and completely ignored the point of my joining and asking for information. Or, another way of saying it you don’t care to support the point of your “international” site with a more friendly atmosphere intended to share. No. Instead it is about questioning the legal status of an internet site. Remarkable.

And you’re right, this is a waste of my time and I’ll not be drawn into another argument with another fool.

Correctness and courteousness is, and always has been, a hallmark of this forum…and is in all responses to your posts in this thread.

Members frequently question views, but seldom resort to personal attacks on moderators.

At the very least…the legality of said site is seriously questionable, so there´s not a lot more to be said about that as far as I can see. As for the rest of the forum, there´s plenty of useful stuff which I hope you can benefit from as much as the rest of us do.

Cheers
Dean

[Edit: double post due to interrupted connection]

Cheers again
Dean

Duzty,
I have done extensive research in this area and, while I am not an attorney, I believe that I am qualified by education to tell you definitively that downloading a movie from ZML is illegal if you live in the United States of America (where a good portion of CD Freaks live). This is because the distributors have not been licensed by the copyright holders to distribute the movies and have not paid for the privilege. I can also tell you, with nearly the same certainty, that it is illegal in The Netherlands (the home of the CD Freaks forum and Da_Taxman) for the same reason. Correct me, please, if I am wrong, Tax. Furthermore, distribution of movies and/or music before the release by the owner is most certainly illegal in North America and most, if not all, of the European Union.

Therefore, discussion of how to manipulate such files jeopardizes the continued operation of a very valuable resource for many people: the CD Freaks Forums. Such discussion tends to result in undesirable attention from both Dutch and American law enforcement. It is nothing personal against you. I’ve seen hundreds of threads shut down in a similar manner.

Thank you for giving us all the heads up that ZML is a ripoff. I believe that the rest of the members here have only been trying to add their caution that ZML is most likely illegal as well. They are [I]not [/I]trying to insult your intelligence or character. I would like to continue this most interesting conversation. Perhaps if you tell us what country you reside in I can give you a more accurate response regarding ZML’s legality in your jurisdiction.

We also have a lively discussion going on regarding the legality, morality and ethics of both sides in the trial of the founders of The Pirate Bay torrent indexing and tracking site in Sweden. It is not all black and white but when it begins to take on shades of gray, discretion is the better part of valor, so it would reflect well on you to cut Da_Taxman a little slack.

[quote=Icy Mt.;2233748]I believe that I am qualified by education to tell you definitively that downloading a movie from ZML is illegal if you live in the United States of America (where a good portion of CD Freaks live). This is because the distributors have not been licensed by the copyright holders to distribute the movies and have not paid for the privilege.
I can also tell you, with nearly the same certainty, that it is illegal in The Netherlands (the home of the CD Freaks forum and Da_Taxman) for the same reason. [/quote]

It is a bit different here in The Netherlands: Downloading copyrighted audio and video material is legal here, but only if it is for private (non-commercial) use.

On the other hand, distributing these same copyrighted movies etc is illegal here.

[QUOTE=schweino;2234044]It is a bit different here in The Netherlands: Downloading copyrighted audio and video material is legal here, but only if it is for private (non-commercial) use.

On the other hand, distributing these same copyrighted movies etc is illegal here.[/QUOTE]

True. However, removing any copy protection or modifying the original contents in any other way is still illegal here.

To avoid any discussions on this forum, we have taken the precautionary position that for the purpose of this forum it is illegal. Where the question relates to anything illegal, we will not provide any help and the discussion is closed. (this last comment also answers Duzty’s last question he didn’t feel was addressed before).