D-VR610 HDMI Modes

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba D-VR610 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have my D-VR610 connected to a LG 42" LCD Full HD 1080p TV, model 42LG50. When I play a dvd on the toshiba I can’t seem to change the HDMI mode. When I press the button, nothing happens and the display from the toshiba shows 480p/RGB. Can anyone help me out please?

Likely a compatiblility issue between the recorder and the TV. The user manual states unsupported resolutions will be skipped. It is also stated several times in the manual that not all HDMI connected devices function correctly together. This is caused by different implementations of the HDMI spec and HDCP.

Also, HDCP implementation on many devices prevent the upconversion of copyrighted material. So assuming you are testing with store bought DVD’s, it is likely an HDCP restriction.

Regardless, your TV has to up-convert the incoming signal anyway to match it to the native resolution of the screen. So you are only at a disadvantage if your DVD player has a better scaling chip than you TV, which is highly unlikely in your case.