D-Sub or DVI. Is there a real difference?

vbimport

You guys are reliable hardware experts so I am throwing out the question here. I have both D-Sub and DVI on my graphics card and am hungry for a flat screen. The problem is just when I find one that is almost pefect in other specs., it is missing DVI connections.

Should I wait for the price to drop again ( I don’t really need to move now)? Is DVI worth more, all other things considered? Is there any other specification that is most importand between refresh, contrast, or brightness? Will 8ms, 700:1, and 300 cd/m2 enough for Far Cry type gaming?

Thanks again.

What DVI do you mean?
DVI is better, IMO.

It’s the old analog vs digital argument.

IMO, DVI is the only way to go. With my Dell 1905FP, if I use the dsub connection text appears fuzzy. Definitely not as sharp as with the DVI connection. I suppose this could be subjective, ultimately your eyes will tell you which is better.

In theory the digital connection will always provide the ‘better’ connection. When using the digital connection, none of the analog adjustments are available, and shouldn’t be needed as the signal is as good as it gets.

Thanks for the info

[QUOTE=chas0039;1396407]You guys are reliable hardware experts so I am throwing out the question here. I have both D-Sub and DVI on my graphics card and am hungry for a flat screen. The problem is just when I find one that is almost pefect in other specs., it is missing DVI connections.

Should I wait for the price to drop again ( I don’t really need to move now)? Is DVI worth more, all other things considered? Is there any other specification that is most importand between refresh, contrast, or brightness? Will 8ms, 700:1, and 300 cd/m2 enough for Far Cry type gaming?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Low refresh delay (ms) & High Contrast (1000:1 is typical) are most important for gaming.

Brightness about 300 cd/m2 is typical -> brightness higher than 300cd/m2 is really only needed if you intend to play games in full/direct sunlight.

The quality of DVI/HDMI digital signal versus ye-olde RGB DSub is remarkably similar to the comparison of DVD versus VHS … it’s a no contest. DVI/HDMI digital stomps all over analogue.

'nuff said.

Of course, you can get DVI analogue, but there’s no real point.

1000ms/8ms = 125Hz refresh rate … it’s enough, but 5 years ago, back when I played alot of FPS games, I was considering the 6ms screens with DVI, I’d be surprised if there hasn’t been considerable progress since then. However, I settled on an expensive ($1000) 24" LCD instead with 8ms response, which is adequate.

Anything without DVI is ancient, and not worthy of your cash, and definitely not compatible with bluray. The last few video cards I’ve purchased didn’t even come with the old 15pin DSUB, they came with HDMI, DVI and Display Port only. To get ye-olde VGA DSUB connection, I had to dig out an old analogue DVI/VGA adapter.

Buying a monitor now, which only has analogue input is just pure silly. Leave it for the poor and ignorant people.

Yo Debro-

Do you frequently answer threads that are over [B][I]five[/I][/B] years old?

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2596716]Yo Debro-

Do you frequently answer threads that are over [B][I]five[/I][/B] years old?[/QUOTE]
Only when noobs bump them up :wink:

Beleive it or not Samsung makes a monitor with just D-sub and HDMI , no DVI input. Its worthless to me.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2596756]Beleive it or not Samsung makes a monitor with just D-sub and HDMI , no DVI input. Its worthless to me.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
*WOW *. While I’m sitting here, typing this on my samsung galaxy tab, one of the best alternatives to the ipad … I’m gobsmacked.

I’m now considering grabbing a pitchfork, and a piece of straw to chew, and joining an unruly mob for one of these new, fandangled, witchhunts.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2596756]Beleive it or not Samsung makes a monitor with just D-sub and HDMI , no DVI input. Its worthless to me.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Hmm … I read that wrong … I got Dsub, no HDMI nor DVI.

HDMI is a valid alternative to DVI, they are video signal compatible, except that HDMI can also carry sound/comms/Control Signalling.

While ATI cards did have a DVI with sound out, it’s a hack job.

HDCP won’t affect consumers. It’s just an encrypted link. At any rate, HDCP was broken recently anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

All you need is a DVI to HDMI adaptor or cable. These are pretty common here now and very cheap.

A lot of the monitor manufacturers are now moving to HDMI sockets instead of DVI as these support both standards.

DVI is electrically compatible with HDMI so no signal conversion is required and there’s no loss of quality.

[B]Wombler[/B]

My Shiny new ASUS VE248Q monitor also has only D-sub and HDMI.
I knew this when I ordered it and simply didn’t care, because I knew it
made no difference.

But it came with a DVI to HDMI cable, which is nice considering that my Nvidia
video card doesn’t have an HDMI jack.

As stated above:
HDMI has extra conductors for Audio and remote signals, but for video a simple
adapter OR an HDMI-to-DVI cable will work perfectly

AD

My Shiny new ASUS VE248Q monitor also has only D-sub and HDMI. I knew this when I ordered it and simply didn’t care, because I knew it made no difference.

I also noted the VE248Q had only D sub and HDMI before purchasing mine. My video card has an HDMI jack, so it was no issue for me. Even if I hadn’t, I would have still pulled the trigger. It’s a great monitor at that price. I’ve picked up 4 of them in the past couple of years - one a couple of days ago.