Cyclic Redundancy Check (i think)

vbimport

sorry for posting here, but, i don’t know where to put the topic, since it is the problem with cd’s (i think)

well, this error is returned to me, when i burn a cd with my Lite-On cd-rw burner and then try to copy whole cd to disk again. it doesn’t matter if it is video, game or mp3’s…

i tried to create image file, but also that doesn’t work.

i noticed, this could be the problem with low quality cd’s, since i’m burning everything on Traxdata (40x speed cd’s) on speed 48x.

but, as said, i buy that cd’s all the time and never had that problem. now, i think, when i bought new package of them (50 cd’s on spindle), all cd’s i burn, are corrupted with that CRC errors.

i just need the aprooval, this error is in most cases because of low quality cd’s.

is that an option? because, alot of people said, i need to burn in lower speed, but i won’t do that, since everything i burned untill i got that spindle worked without any problem.

so, help?

oh: using nero 6, win xp and everything every other user would

then, also, from our reply some dude replied with his stupid answer, and i replied him back with another post, just for explaination:

i do that all the time. and i never got any errors, i even check for written data for errors everytime i burn a cd and i got none.

what do you think that the company like Traxdata would take their cd’s from all stores over the Europe, just because it says 40x on them? they’re known as very reliable cd makers. they would then only remove the label from the cd and replace the number 40 with 48 or 52. also, when doing speed test or determining on which speed can i burn on those cd’s for reliability, i always get 48.

i asked only, if the reason because of CRC error is in most cases the low quality cd. if so, then, something is wrong with all 50 cd’s i bought.

i always buy traxdata (40x speed) cd’s and they’re reliable as hell.

anyways, i need your help…

thanks

Data corruption?
what chipset do you have?
Check this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=73876

Originally posted by Gregor
oh: using nero 6, win xp and everything every other user would

Did this start with Nero6? Several people started to have corrupted discs with Nero6, when Nero5 worked perfectly.
Have you tried with Nero5 or another program?

thanks for replying minix.

now, here is more info:

• Data corruption?
    what do you mean? well, after the cd is burned, and i check the function in nero that checks the recorded cd for errors, it stops on approx 3/4.

• what chipset do you have?
    i am not sure what info to give you, so this is it:

System Chipset
Model : Giga-Byte Technology VT8377 Apollo KT400 CPU to PCI Bridge

so, i know it’s VIA KT400, if that’s the thing you searched for?

• about the Nero 6
    i am almost sure those errors started when i installed nero 6, though, i uninstalled it and installed Nero 5.5.10.42 and it’s the same thing :’( should i need to restart computer after uninstalling version 6? i don’t think so…

any ideas what could be the problem? please help me, i doubt the cd’s i bought are bad or anything…

- Data corruption?
what do you mean? well, after the cd is burned, and i check the function in nero that checks the recorded cd for errors, it stops on approx 3/4.

well, I mean that data is corrupted in the path from hard disk to burner.
I guess that means that verification fails. That means that data in the CDR is different from data in the hard disk, I think.

so, i know it’s VIA KT400, if that’s the thing you searched for?

Yes.
The known bug is with Via 686B southbrigde, that it’s not found in the KT400 chipset.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that you can’t have data corruption. (Let’s say that with 686B is “official” :confused: )

i am almost sure those errors started when i installed nero 6, though, i uninstalled it and installed Nero 5.5.10.42 and it’s the same thing.[/B]

:Z
I don’t know if it’s necessary to reboot after uninstalling. Use the Nero Clean Tool (yes, amazing that you need another tool for that :confused: ).

The 1st I’d try is disabling DMA.
I know this can’t be the definitive solution, but you’ll probably find out that your discs will be burned OK with DMA disabled. This will mean that data corruption exists in your computer.

To avoid it with DMA enabled, it’s difficult to say.
You have to test your drive with all possible positions in the IDE controllers, preferably with the burner alone in the IDE cable, and then try with the burner in the same controller as your source/hard disk (maybe there are “reminiscences” of the old 686B bug that caused data corruption when source and target are in different controllers).
Remove all drives except the hard disk and burner in order to discard conflicts with other drives.

hi again… so, here is what i did:

• removed nero with Nero Clean Tool and tried to burn and verify burned data. then installed nero 5. i get error!

• then, i moved from DMA to PIO, and verify burned data, and it was okay. but i noticed, burning time was around 6 or 7 minutes, not 3 as usual.

so,… that means, as you told, that data corruption exists on my computer?

so, what the heck does that mean?

what should i do now?

- then, i moved from DMA to PIO, and verify burned data, and it was okay. but i noticed, burning time was around 6 or 7 minutes, not 3 as usual.

Of course.
That’s normal, and that’s why everybody uses DMA mode instead of PIO, even if DMA is more “dangerous” like you are seeing.

so,… that means, as you told, that data corruption exists on my computer?
so, what the heck does that mean?

That means you have trash instead of a computer :bigsmile:

A computer shouldn’t ramdomly change data when it’s transferred.

IDE bus is crap a lot of times. Change to SCSI :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]

what should i do now? [/B]

Use the slow and CPU consuming PIO mode is an option, but not what you paid for.
DMA should work correctly.

Try the hints I said before. Come back later and tell us if they worked or not.

“To avoid it with DMA enabled, it’s difficult to say.
You can test your drive with all possible positions in the IDE controllers, preferably with the burner alone in the IDE cable, and then try with the burner in the same controller as your source/hard disk (maybe there are “reminiscences” of the old 686B bug that caused data corruption when source and target are in different controllers).
Remove all drives except the hard disk and burner in order to discard conflicts with other drives.”

Did you install the Via busmaster drivers?
Another option is uninstalling them and see what happens.
If you didn’t install them, try the opposite: install them. :stuck_out_tongue:

hi agian,…

so, here are my results:

i tried every single option with IDE cable, and still i got the error.

i should try the VIA Busmaster now, but, i’m not sure what VIA Busmaster is and where to get it?! the driver should be on this location (http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/580_2150(3).exe), but it isn’t, so, where is it available?

if also that doesn’t work, i am going to take my rw out and use the varanty to get a replacement.

so, what are other options? new IDE cables? well, i don’t get it…

i tried every single option with IDE cable, and still i got the error.

OK. So, there’s no conflict with another drive…
And if you tried source and target drives in the same controller, it’s not a matter of the old bug.

i should try the VIA Busmaster now, but, i’m not sure what VIA Busmaster is and where to get it?! the driver should be on this location (http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/580_2150(3).exe), but it isn’t, so, where is it available?

Try this:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

It won’t probably work, but it’s an option.

if also that doesn’t work, i am going to take my rw out and use the varanty to get a replacement.

It could help.
Although if it works in PIO mode, then the burner is probably OK.
Defective mainboard is more likely than burner, in this case.
Can you try the burner in another computer?

so, what are other options? new IDE cables? well, i don’t get it… [/B]

Yes, IDE cables can be a nightmare.
Are you using 40pin or 80pin cables? Try other cables even if they’re equal.

Set the BIOS settings according to the burner (UDMA33 I guess. Set “Auto” in the BIOS) and computer. A 40pin cable should work. This shouldn’t help, but you never know with computers.
Nothing I’ve said should work, but there shouldn’t be any data corruption anyway…