Cyberdrive adding -R support to DX082D

I got an email this morning from one of the support guys at Cyberdrive in which he stated that they have a firmware completed and in testing that adds dvd-r support and the upgrade will be made available for free as soon as adequate testing has been completed. I had asked him about this several months ago and his reply was something like this: “We do not currently support -R media, I am sorry. If Phillips updates there firmware for this support, it will be added but probably not until 16X drives are released”. Well they did just announce the 16X drives. I wonder just how similar this drive is to the Phillips (and Benq) if they use a modified phillips firmware on there drives.

This is good news. I know you have been looking for this information for a long time. I had one of those drives 4 or 5 months back, it was a hell of a +R burner. Unfortunatley it didn’t fare so well on the CD side. That’s why I returned it. Could have just been the drive I picked though…

Keep us posted when you find more information on this.

The Good News - http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=43

The Bad News - Don’t expect miracles on your cheap media. I only have cheap 4x dvd-rs and one brand burns ok at 2x, the other not at all.

But your mileage may vary.