Cybercriminals trick users into downloading fake Adblock Plus from Chrome Web Store

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/cybercriminals-trick-users-downloading-fake-adblock-plus-chrome-web-store-82676/

More than 37,000 Chrome users downloaded a fake version of the popular adblocker Adblock Plus. The extension was offered through the official Chrome Web Store, security researcher SwiftOnSecurity tweets on Twitter.

[quote]More than 37,000 Chrome users downloaded a fake version of the popular ad blocker Adblock Plus. The extension was offered through the official Chrome Web Store, security researcher SwiftOnSecurity tweets on Twitter.[/quote]Why am I not surprised…did no one ever think for a moment wait with adblock big as they are would come under attack… duh…

[quote]The extension had non-latin characters in its name which tricked users in thinking it was the legitimate version of Adblock Plus. More than 37,000 Chrome users were tricked this way[/quote]Funny, I created a free one to use and not many wants to use it when it cost nothing… hmmmm sounds like “sheeps” like to be slaughter instead.

[quote]Google has now removed the extension from the Chrome Web Store. The real version of Adblock Plus has more than 10,000,000 users and more than 158,000 reviews.[/quote]So where was the security not suppose to watch for this kinda spoof? Obviously they got caught with their pants down…and this probably won’t be the only incident either. Now they know what to do they will do it again. It’s a matter of time only now. This is one reason I doubt such programs as that as much as I flush the toilet. I don’t recall using a simple hosts file blocker like mine has downed me any adverse effect. It’s free and I put it out there for anyone to use to help stop web ads to improve their Browser performance and plus it doesn’t install anything to the Browser. But then again no matter how much I advocate that it is effective - I guess my big name is too small for those to take it into consideration of something is simple enough that it works. And if a site refuse to let me get there because they want to adware my computer - I move on and forget about that site.

[quote]Adblock Plus states that users can easily check whether they have downloaded the fake version by viewing in the details whether the extension comes from the official adblockplus.org domain.[/quote]Wait their software should be protected itself already. You would think their own software would be proactive-not reactive to this problem…

[quote]Besides that, the fake version was offered as an app and not as extension.[/quote]Considering the click and be satisfy myself won’t stop the infection either…That’s what they wanted to happen and guess what it happen just like what they wanted…“sheeps” to the slaughter.