Cyanine VS. Phthalocyanine Dye

vbimport

Cyanine dye(Blue)

• Cyanine discs are compatible with a wide range of laser powers.

Phthalocyanine dye(Light Green)

• Phthalocyanine dye requires higher laser powers.

Why you ask do i bring this pointer up about the two different dyes… Well over the years in my CD-R Ventures i have worked with both dyes and have seen a major incompatiblity issue using the Phthalocyanine based dye in many home theatre dvd players and console units due to the Requirement that the Phthalocyanine dye puts forward in it’s need for higher powered lasers which home dvd players and consoles do no have like your computer cd-rom units do therefore i have been forced to use Cyanine based dye CD-R’s when dealing with Home theatre dvd players and consoles.

My Question is what companies manufacture CD-R’s that have the standard of using only a Cyanine based dye with an excellent quality top coating (Branded) for writing on and withstanding storage in a cd booklet under friction conditions?

Memorex has a beautiful wide writing area on the top and bottom of the CD-R with lines and a rock hard coating but Memorex would not be an option to buy Cyanine based dye CD-R’s from Memorex since-

January Memorex 100 Pack - :slight_smile:

Disc Manufacture: Taiyo Yeden Company Ltd.
Recording layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)

March Memorex 100 Pack - :frowning:

Disc Manufacture: Prodisc Technology Inc.
Recording layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)

You can see Memorex is real shifty on what type of dye they stick with when changing manufacturers just to save a penny. Looks like i will have to cross them off the to buy list for good.

Still looking for that alternative :bigsmile:

This has been discussed and re-cussed here many times. There are no generalizations to be made about the 2 major dye types. Every maker has their own formulation, and manufacturing quality varies greatly in both dye types. There are equally good and bad examples of each, and every burner made has it’s own preferences, not to mention the players/readers.
If you want a good quality cyanine-type CDR, look no farther than TY. They can be bought in a wide variety of styles, including printable in white or silver. Fuji, in the USA, is the cheapest route.

This has been discussed and re-cussed here many times. There are no generalizations to be made about the 2 major dye types. Every maker has their own formulation, and manufacturing quality varies greatly in both dye types. There are equally good and bad examples of each, and every burner made has it’s own preferences, not to mention the players/readers.

I Can give you an example from my own Experience dating back to the first Playstation models released and having the unit modded a few years later once my laser readers track was alittle warn: I had it modded and the guy used big clumps of soldier I thought it was horrible only further dampening the power of my laser read, but i broke open Phthalocyanine CD-R’s from more then six different CD-R Manufacturers and I couldn’t get one to work for the life of me so I decided to go into the cyanine based dye and what do you know the first one I tried worked wonders and my laser was no longer struggling to read!

If you want a good quality cyanine-type CDR, look no farther than TY. They can be bought in a wide variety of styles, including printable in white or silver. Fuji, in the USA, is the cheapest route.

Fuji TY’s sound like an affordable option to go with i’ll make sure I check my local distributors on bulk quanities in the morning.

I am certainly open for more suggestions on other Taiyo Yuden manufacturers like Fujifilm that tie Themselves to TY to ensure a constant product!:bigsmile:

TY and verbatim(mitsubishi) are very good so use them. as for pthalocyanine, i have never used one that was reliable. i had the exact same playstation problem thing. i also found that cyanine cdrs worked much much better.

For Playstation “backups”, Cyanine-based CD-R’s work better than Phthalocyanine-based discs. These discs are compatible all-round and the best ones are made by RiTEK and Taiyo Yuden. Phthalocyanine-based RiTEK, Prodisc, Ricoh, and Mitsui-made discs are outstanding for audio, video, and data. Azo and Metal Stabilized Cyanine-based discs (Mitsubishi/Verbatim, old TDK) are suitable and give high quality results if and ONLY if your drive is compatible with them (i.e. LiteOn and LG drives HATE them!).

You should stay right away from ALL discs made by CMC Magnetics, Lead Data, Digital Storage Technology (DST), Grand Advance Technology (GAT), Princo, King Pro, and Sony Cyanine (Made by Lead Data using Sony’s ATIP, the Phthalocyanine ones are alright).

@cd pirate: There are many phthalocyanine-based CD-R’s out there that are extremely reliable. Examples include Ricoh(Made by RiTEK using the Ricoh ATIP code), Kodak Gold Ultima or Ultima Silver+Gold (Used in older <24X-speed drives), Mitsui, newer Prodisc, and newer RiTEK branded as TDK.

verbatim super azo are compatible with my liteon52x. they give me the second best results and taiyo gives the best. i dont know why you say liteons HATE them.

From memory, and i hope this is right, wasn’t it because loads of Lite-on users said their drives hated Super-Azo media and Plextor 241040’s loved them?

Icey

wasn’t it because loads of Lite-on users said their drives hated Super-Azo media

Also because the quality control is so bad on Verbatim media. People ge a bad batch and assume it’s all that way. Mostly is was the older Azo-Blue discs that earned this reputation.

Here are the Prices on Branded CD-R’s in Canada;
*Prices shown include the 21 cent levy.

50 Pack Fuji - $39
100 Pack Fuji - $59
100 Pack Verbatim - $85

50 Pack Fuji - $39

Ouch, here a 100ct spindle is $34.

rdgrimes is it true that Fuji only uses Taiyo Yuden?

If so I am going to go pickup a few 100 packs tomorrow @.59 cents.

Originally posted by MayhemMedia

rdgrimes is it true that Fuji only uses Taiyo Yuden?

If so I am going to go pickup a few 100 packs tomorrow @.59 cents.

That concerns the USA. And in the EU they are mainly made by FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.

You should have attended Bargain Basement for that matter,
where you’d have found ( by courtesy of lagger ) e.g. > Fuji TY 50 pack 2.99 after rebates

At present > Fuji 100-Pack 48x CD-R Disc Spindle for $34.99 @BB

MayhemMedia
Look for “made in Japan” and it’s TY. Office Max has had them on sale for a while. Don’t know if this is available in Canada.

Look for “made in Japan” and it’s TY. Office Max has had them on sale for a while. Don’t know if this is available in Canada.
:eek:

I Think I will stick with Verbatim AZO Dye to save the troubles of guessing what company is using TY. :frowning:

It sure would be nice if a company had a steady hand (100% Steady) in stamping these Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s with their name.

No one has ever reporte Fuji bein anything else in North America, the spindles are all TY.

It really isn’t that hard. Look for the “Made in Japan” label as rdgrimes advised you. And as far as I know rdgrimes is correct that there have never (at least in recent history going back a couple of years) been any reports of Fuji selling anything but TY CD-R’s in North America.

You can also easily identify TY spindles by their packaging. The new spindles have a flare at the bottom, and a corrugated base:

The older spindles are even easier to identify. Just look for the screw-on top (although you won’t find many of these packages around anymore):

Of course, you are welcome to purchase whichever brand you please. But identifying TY media is really not that hard.

cfitz

Thank you for the help in answering my question Cdfreaks.com :cool:!

“My Question is what companies manufacture CD-R’s that have the standard of using only a Cyanine based dye with an excellent quality top coating (Branded) for writing on and withstanding storage in a cd booklet under friction conditions?”

As suggested i will use Fujifilm CD-R’s to fulfill my data storage needs since Fujifilm meets the above requirements.

Originally posted by MayhemMedia
[B]:eek:

I Think I will stick with Verbatim AZO Dye to save the troubles of guessing what company is using TY. :frowning:

[/B]

Spotting a TY-made Fuji package is about as easy as breathing. Both cakebox types (screwtop and non-screwtop) are very distinctive and don’t look like any other retail cakebox designs that I have seen. Not to mention the “Made in Japan” on the label.

darn, i just bought a bunch of Princo discs a while ago. now the new Lite-On firmware 6S0F id’d it as 16X instead of advertised 32X… what can i do now?