CVS launches 1st disposable camcorder with processing to DVD

vbimport

I just posted the article CVS launches 1st disposable camcorder with processing to DVD.

Until  now, if one wanted to capture a live event on DVD, this would mean having to fork out on a DVD  camcorder or get hold of a standalone DVD recorder to transfer the recording of a tape...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10399-CVS-launches-1st-disposable-camcorder-with-processing-to-DVD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10399-CVS-launches-1st-disposable-camcorder-with-processing-to-DVD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I get 15 minutes of 640x480 30FPS video in quicktime format on my new Nikon digital still camera on a 1GB memory card. I wonder what the stats are on the picture this thing takes and what memory card it uses. It may be worthwhile to buy the camera and rip it apart for its flash memory, or perhaps someone will hack it and make it re-usable and downloadable.

What a waste of resources, can we degrade further? The disposable camcorder is going overboard, imo, but then again it is part of the cycle.

While I hate more/new federal laws (in America), the amount of waste that is going on, which is 10 fold since the digital age because of our new disposible toys (DVDs, CDs, DVD Players, electronics that can’t be repaired) that I wish for a law that would forbid or heavily tax items that are intenionally disposible that don’t offer recycling options from the retailer who sells them. I would like to see both the product maker be taxed if they don’t offer recycling options, and a second tax on the retailer if they don’t offer rycycling options. Seriously people, just because you don’t see the trash, doesn’t mean it’s being created at an explosive rate. In fact near my grandparent’s house NY state was about to take a Vietnam Memoral Forrest and put a trash dump in it, I kid you not!!!

even if the entire camera can be recycled that’s still only half the issue, as the amount of energy needed to create and recycle a disposable item like that is just retarded

As VioletHue pointed out the storage capacity would have to be about in the 1 to 2GB range to be any good… Now there’s no way you can make 1-2GB of flash ram, a 1.4 inch TFT screen, and the other electronics of a camcorder for just $30. Thus, the device must be intended to be recycled - you return it to the store, they download the video and burn to DVD, and the camcorder is reused by another customer. I guess the only difference from a normal camcorder here is that the recording will be done in a propriety way -> to stop the end user downloading by themselves; and the device is obviously much cheaper (though no where near just $30) to manufacturer -> meaning that a large deposit isn’t required to take the camcorder away whilst you use it (like with a regular camera hire).

Just to add: some ‘re-manufacture’ may happen when the camera is returned to ensure customers always take away a working unit (e.g. battery charge, replacement of any minor broken parts). And for those who think they could manufacture the whole camera and sell it for $30, then why aren’t you able to buy a 2GB SD flash card for $15??? (If Pure Digital Tech can make this camera so cheap then why don’t they open a ‘sideline’ of selling flash ram cards, TFT screens, and rechargable batteries - they’d be a huge market at those sort of prices!!!)

I work at CVS, so let me clarify a little of this information… these cameras are not truly “disposable”. Once they are returned to the store, they are processed on site, and then put in a special box to be sent back to the manufacturer for repackaging. Pure Digital can in no way afford to have these thrown away, they would take a loss if they were not recycled. Currently we sell Digital One-Time-Use-Cameras (OTUC) from the same company, and they work on this same principle. These digital alternatives are actually more eco-friendly than current disposables, which although some are recycled, much go to waste. Please tree-huggers, think before you post. :slight_smile: The Digital OTUC’s are relatively easily hackable into being reusable without return to the store, I’m hoping these video cams will be the same way. Chances are they will use the same adaptor.

$30 for the camera USE, then another $13 for the processing…for only 20 minutes of video? I don’t see too many people paying that. (Then again, people are stupid…)
[edited by Ginsu Victim on 08.06.2005 02:10]

Current Disposable film cameras can be a huge waste. I have a buddy that works at a grocery store and he says that all kodak cameras (one time use) that they get, have to be opened for the film(which is on a roll and not in a regular canister) and the rest gets thrown away. Kodak wants the company to return them but they get no compensation for it. So they dont. Kodak purposely made their cameras with proprietary batteries so the companies couldnt reuse it. As for the companies own generic one time use cameras, they are able to crack them open, take out the roll of film and replace the battery(which is an AA) and then reuse is many times over. The Kodak underwater cameras are just chunked as well. All fujilms get re-used because they use standard batteries and film as well. This digital actually sounds like a really good idea except for the price. Im sure there are thousands of people who are willing to pay this price but not me. I would rather spend a few hundred on a nice digital that I can re-use as many times as I wish and probably get better quality. Plus, I dont make DVD’s out of low quality video. It just isnt worth my time. I dont have anything much to add on this side, I agree with most posters.

I work at a photolab in walmart. ALL of our disposable cameras as well as blank film canisters that have been processed are sent to FUJI in Salt Lake City to be recycled. We then get credit back for recycling them as well. Besides, not everyone can afford a brand new 300-900 dollar camcorder. So these are great if you ask me, I wonder when we will start carrying them.

Someone mentioned 20 minutes of recording time, well for the most part, there’s only about 20 minutes of people’s home movies/videos that’s worth watching anyway. I hope that someone comes up with a cheap easy hack of this so that you don’t have to turn them back in and can “process” them ourselves.:d As far as the trash issue, that is why we need more incinerators that also generate electricity from the burnt garbage. Damn tree huggers complain when you make stuff throw away, complain when you come up with a solution (i.e. incineration), and complain if you make it repairable (i.e. too expensive, too out of date, etc.)

I think these will be very easy to hack… the current Pure Digital disposable digitals have already been hacked into. Hit up http://www.maushammer.com/systems/dakotadigital/lcd-summary.html for some info on that.