Cute One - Pioneer 111D Freeze WIndows

vbimport

This is not usual situation and please consider it as such.

I changed Motherboard and got one with only one IDE port, where I put my two hard disks. Furthermore, I have an Philips SPD2512T DVDRW connected to SATA part, working good. The cute one is arround my Pioneer 111D with firmware 8.19, which is obviusly IDE drive, which I connected to SATA port via IDE to SATA dongle. Windows sees drive, DISC Info said it is there, Nero Info Tool too, but I can not read any CD or DVD. Tried to flash it with newer firmware, 1.29 or 8.25 or 8.29 all of it stops at the point where flasher utility says it starts kernel. At that point Windows freezes.

I also tried Safe mode, flashers freezes Windows on the same spot with kernels.

Tried DVRFLash, the newest one, Windows and DOS versions with -vf, -f and -ff switch. No result, Windows stayed frozen, DOS version said no drive at all.

Therefore, I tried TDB flashers, one by one and discovered that only flashers with * saying w/kernel passed but the newest version is the same as mine 8.19 INT.

The question for anybody with such knowledge is how to make this drive work, I repeat it is IDE drive connected to SATA port through IDE to SATA dongle. I tried one LG drive, it works but it is only DVD-ROM. Also, I know about 80-pin IDE cable which makes this drive work on 16x at UDMA 4 mode, but my Device Manager says it is on UDMA 2.

My system use Windows XP, Service Pack 3, on NVidia Chipset MCP65. Whatever I tried to do, the result is frozen Windows. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Can you afford to put the Pioneer on your motherboard’s PATA controller, and put the other hard drive on the SATA-to-PATA converter? Or maybe get an add-in PCI-to-PATA card?

Nice one. The money will not be a problem. I wonder why Pioneer through IDE to SATA dongle would not work, as alone connected device with jumper at Cable Select. I forgot his one. When I put Windows Installation CD, rebooted system, Pioneer 111d worked nicely, Windows start its installation. That is why I think the problem is in Windows XP somewhere.

I tried also to search for SATA IDE driver, have one for this chipset, but after I installed it, yellow mark appeared in Device Manager telling that device is not working properly and I rolled back to Windows driver. It is still written UDMA Mode 2 for Pioneer, which makes me think it could be a problem and how to make it work as UDMA Mode 4 with SATA 7-pin cable. Someone tell that Pioneer would not work its job it it is not set to UDMA Mode 4. IDE to SATA dongle says it supports UDMA 2, UDMA4, UDMA 5 and UDMA6. Silly one, I admit.

[QUOTE=Albert;2120803]Can you afford to put the Pioneer on your motherboard’s PATA controller, and put the other hard drive on the SATA-to-PATA converter? Or maybe get an add-in PCI-to-PATA card?[/QUOTE]

@ DzigiBau,

In some instances using CS (Cable Select) instead of Mater/Slave is problematic. Suggest using Master/Slave jumper setting instead of CS.

Regards,
bjkg

Also buy a new 80 wire ide cable because they can fail after a period of time.

Thank you Bjkg and DVD_Addict for your reply.

I tried all three jumper possitions and it worked only when I put it on Cable Select or Master. Slave did not work.

Dear DVD_Addict, I connect my Pioneer 111D widh [B]IDE to SATA DONGLE[/B], which means that I turned dongle into DVD drive and connected it to motherboard with 7-pin SATA cable. More exactly, I tried to use IDE DVDRW as SATA drive, which I succesfully did with one LG and yestarday with one Sony drive, too. But, since I prefer Pioneers, my great wish is to make this drive work with IDE to SATA dobgle. As I said before, when I tried to use Windows Installation CD and rebooted computer in order to confirm if the Pioneer drive work at all, funny thing is that drive flawlesly started reading Installation CD. As we all know, that runs inside DOS environment.

The main question here is how to make this setup work in Windows XP. Any suggestion would be the most welcome.

Forget that adaptor, that will not work.