Cut MPEG2 TV recordings

I have a TV card and have made several MPEG2 recordings, now I would like to archive them and ideally trim the ends and maybe also commercials.

I’ve tried lots of different software but had no success - some crashes, some works only some of the time and some don’t work at all.

Can anyone please recommend me some (preferably free) software that I can use to trim MPEG2 files?

An extra bonus would be if it could directly trim MPEG2 files without having to convert and then re-encode.

Many thanks!

[QUOTE=SlappyTheFish;2207366]I have a TV card and have made several MPEG2 recordings, now I would like to archive them and ideally trim the ends and maybe also commercials.

I’ve tried lots of different software but had no success - some crashes, some works only some of the time and some don’t work at all.

Can anyone please recommend me some (preferably free) software that I can use to trim MPEG2 files?

An extra bonus would be if it could directly trim MPEG2 files without having to convert and then re-encode.

Many thanks![/QUOTE]

Not free, but Video ReDo is the fastest (lightning fast!) and most powerful video editing program for your needs.
You can try it for the free 30 trial…http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

I’m confident that you’ll be blown away by it… and yes I do have it. :wink:

Hi and Welcome![quote=SlappyTheFish;2207366]I have a TV card and have made several MPEG2 recordings, now I would like to archive them and ideally trim the ends and maybe also commercials.

[…]
[/quote]This is my workflow from recorded MPEG2 to video DVD:

[ol]
[li]Demux recorded File with either ProjectX or PVAStrumento[/li][li]Edit (remove ads, trim ends) with Mpeg2Schnitt (other option: Cuttermaran)[/li][li]Create DVD structure with GUI for DVDAuthor or DVDAuthorGUI.[/li][li]Burn resulting VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders with ImgBurn.[/li][/ol]

All applications mentioned are free, and all should have at least an english user interface.

Michael

Thanks for the replies - VideoRedo looks great but perhaps a bit pricey. Using mpeg2Schnitt and DVDAuthorGUI looks like a better bet - can mpeg2schnitt chop mpeg2 files accurately and quickly without having to re-encode? One problem I had with some other software was that it cut ok but the aspect ratio wasn’t the same as the original, so everything was squashed.

Hi,[quote=SlappyTheFish;2207418] - can mpeg2schnitt chop mpeg2 files accurately and quickly without having to re-encode?[/quote]It does not re-encode. You might lose some frames at the borders unless you set the option to cut at “frame borders”. In that case, the affected GOP (group of pictures) will be reencoded. I normally don’t mind about this, and I haven’t had issues with the Aspect Ratio yet.

Cuttermaran works in a similar way, but I have no personal experience with that. I’d suggest to have a look at this piece of software also.

Michael

You might lose some frames at the borders

Will that affect the synchronisation with the audio track?

Hi, the software you need is Video Dub. It is free and lets you cut different video files without re-encoding. Look here:
http://dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-Dub.htm

[quote=SlappyTheFish;2207472]Will that affect the synchronisation with the audio track?[/quote]No. Unless there are already severe errors in the source material. The Demux tool will tell you that.

Michael

Thanks Salix - I tried VideoDub and it worked well except that it changed the aspect ratio.

It’s a pleasure)