Cut and Paste data on cd?

My problem is this. I have a multi disc playstation 1 game (final fantasy 8). The first disc is scratched in a spot that makes it so I can’t get through the last 5 minutes of the disc (it freezes during a video sequence).

I could just rent the game and use a working disc for a few minutes just to get on to the second disc and get on with it. But I had an idea and I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if it will work or not.

If I get an image of a working disc and burn a copy of it, my playstation 2 won’t read it. If I start the game with the original disc and then swap the copy in right before the game would normally freeze, it still freezes.

Can I somehow open up the image files with a text editor, take boot data and everything from the original disc and then replace the damaged data on the original with the correct data from the working image? In other words, make images of both the discs and take the working data from each and make one functional image, and then burn it to a disc.

[QUOTE=shaunr88;1940926]My problem is this. I have a multi disc playstation 1 game (final fantasy 8). The first disc is scratched in a spot that makes it so I can’t get through the last 5 minutes of the disc (it freezes during a video sequence).

[B]I could just rent the game and use a working disc for a few minutes just to get on to the second disc and get on with it. But I had an idea and I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if it will work or not.
[/B]
If I get an image of a working disc and burn a copy of it, my playstation 2 won’t read it. If I start the game with the original disc and then swap the copy in right before the game would normally freeze, it still freezes.

Can I somehow open up the image files with a text editor, take boot data and everything from the original disc and then replace the damaged data on the original with the correct data from the working image? In other words, make images of both the discs and take the working data from each and make one functional image, and then burn it to a disc.[/QUOTE]

I think its not legal even if you have the original disc, sorry.