Custom VHQ profile for Divx/Xvid

vbimport

I’m currently doing some experimentation with MPEG4 codecs using DVDFab 5.0.5.0 and have cobbled together a couple of profiles. However, I can’t seem to turn on high quality encoding using the following line under vcodec:

<motion motion_search=“6” vhq=“4” qpel=“1” gmc=“1” chroma_me=“1”/>
Both Gspot and MediaInfo do not show these features being used. Here is part of the output from MediaInfo for DIVX:

Video
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L1
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Codec ID : DIVX
Codec ID/Info : Project Mayo
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 4
Duration : 3mn 50s
Bit rate : 3091 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.448
Stream size : 84.9 MiB
Writing library : Lavc51.48.0

I get similar results if I use Xxid:

Video
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 3mn 50s
Bit rate : 3337 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.483
Stream size : 91.7 MiB
Writing library : XviD 1.1.2 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Attached are the actual profiles used.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated. If there is documentation or source code I can look at then please let me know.

Hi,
with your settings:
[B]<motion motion_search=“6” vhq=“4” qpel=“1” gmc=“1” chroma_me=“1”/>[/B]
I have problems to play the files on normal DVD Player, because[B] qpel[/B] and [B]gmc[/B] are not very compatible…

I would take these settings:
[B]<motion motion_search=“5” vhq=“2” qpel=“0” gmc=“0” chroma_me=“1”/>[/B]

The highest settings ar not guaranteeing best video quality. I am wondering about gspots results. You can read some infos at wikipedia and other forums (like doom9).

[quote=Amiga Freak;2089466]Hi,
with your settings:
[B]<motion motion_search=“6” vhq=“4” qpel=“1” gmc=“1” chroma_me=“1”/>[/B]
I have problems to play the files on normal DVD Player, because[B] qpel[/B] and [B]gmc[/B] are not very compatible…

I would take these settings:
[B]<motion motion_search=“5” vhq=“2” qpel=“0” gmc=“0” chroma_me=“1”/>[/B]

The highest settings ar not guaranteeing best video quality. I am wondering about gspots results. You can read some infos at wikipedia and other forums (like doom9).[/quote]

The settings are from another post on the forums. While I may at some point wish to debate the merits of various settings, that is not my problem. I would like the settings to have [B]some[/B] effect.

At present, the examples above and “[B]<motion motion_search=“5” vhq=“0” qpel=“0” gmc=“0” chroma_me=“0”/>” [/B]take the same amount of time to encode and have the same results in Gspot and MediaInfo. That doesn’t seem right.

By the way, this is where I found the settings that I am trying to use:

[quote=acrespo;1809705]<motion motion_search=“5” vhq=“0” qpel=“0” gmc=“0” chroma_me=“0”/>

All these settings is about quality vs speed. The settings above is a speed profile. To quality profile you have set this:

<motion motion_search=“6” vhq=“4” qpel=“1” gmc=“1” chroma_me=“1”/>

gmc and qpel is not good to enable if you convert to play in a dvd player, because some of them can’t play correct.
Motion search settings is from 0 (fast) to 6 (quality) and VHQ is 0 (fast) to 4 (quality).[/quote]

Isn’t there anyone else that changes the settings on the vcodec? Have you checked the output to see if you are getting what the profile specifies?

I suspect the settings you are trying to change are hard coded into the mobile option and are being either overridden or ignored. Not to say your goals are wrong or should not be accommodated, but I think most users want a high speed encode at good quality for a mobile device. If you doubt this, review the threads and posts when changes produced a 10-20% drop in conversion framerates. Personally, if the conversion speed drops to realtime or below, I don’t need it.