Custom DVD?

vbimport

I have a collection of .AVI files that I would like to burn onto a DVD that can be played in a standalone DVD player.

Can these files be played in a DVD “as is”?
(If not, what steps should I take to make them playable?)

Is it possible to create a custom title menu that lists all the movies on the disk, and when selected, will jump to that movie?
(If possible, I’d like to keep the individiual chapters of each movie, but I’m not sure how complicated that would be, or if the original chapters are still intact)

I appreciate all help,
nNJ

If you have a dvd player that can play avi files, you can burn as data and select each file through the remote control. Many newer players have this capability, especially with avi files made with the xvid or divx codec.

You generally don’t get chapter points or menus with avi files. It is possible to make such an avi file using TMPGenc Author (the newer one with divx authoring). But there aren’t many other divx authoring programs available.

You can convert to dvd-video using DVDFlick, AVStoDVD or FAVC and make a menu that will allow you to select each video. I think each of those place chapter points at certain time periods though, not following original placement.

A more capable authoring program, like DVDLab Pro, lets you place chapter points where you will. But you’ll need mpeg2 or elementary streams to import to Lab Pro.

[QUOTE=namelessNewJersey;2186940]I have a collection of .AVI files that I would like to burn onto a DVD that can be played in a standalone DVD player.

Can these files be played in a DVD “as is”?
(If not, what steps should I take to make them playable?)

Is it possible to create a custom title menu that lists all the movies on the disk, and when selected, will jump to that movie?
(If possible, I’d like to keep the individiual chapters of each movie, but I’m not sure how complicated that would be, or if the original chapters are still intact)

I appreciate all help,
nNJ[/QUOTE]

if you have a mac you can do that with IDVD if you have windows sorry don’t know:(