Current situation re. media compatibility?

I’m thinking of dipping my toes in the water and buying a blu-ray burner for my PC, mainly for archiving data, photos and music.
I haven’t been following the market on this, but wanted to avoid the horrible media compatibility issues which plagued early CD-R and DVD-R burners/media.
What is the general opinion on media compatibility issues - is it ready for prime time?
For example, if I burn a Blu-ray disc on an LG burner this week, what are my chances of being able to read it on a different player/writer installed on another machine?
If I get into burning home movies, how likely is it that my home theatre player will be able to read my PC-burned disc?

[quote=itm;2236947]What is the general opinion on media compatibility issues - is it ready for prime time? [/quote]Yes I believe so.

For example, if I burn a Blu-ray disc on an LG burner this week, what are my chances of being able to read it on a different player/writer installed on another machine?
I don’t think there will be a problem reading burned Blu-ray disc in another Blu-ray reader/burner.

If I get into burning home movies, how likely is it that my home theatre player will be able to read my PC-burned disc?
If you burn the Blu-ray correctly, it should be no problem as well. However there are quite a few reports that one standalone player will read, while another won’t. I read that Sony Blu-ray player is one of the most compatible reading burned BD discs.