Current model of scanning drive?

vbimport

Hi:

I’d like to find a drive to do burn-quality (error rate) scans of BD-R, BD-RE, DVD+R, and DVD+RW media.

I’ve bought an LG BH16NS40 and Pioneer BDR-208DBK for burning.

What scan-capable drives are actually in production NOW? It seems many popular drives such as LiteON iHBS212 are now discontinued.

Is is possible to use a less expensive BD-ROM drive without BD burning capability to do these scans?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to club.myce!

I don´t know the ultimate answer, because it´s a while ago since I bought my last internal LiteOn iHBS312 with PLxx firmware.
It can do BR-scans comparable to the “old” LiteOns with CLxx firmware, if You adjust the scan speed of OptiDriveControl just after the spinup in the upper field “speed”, as described here in the forum.
LiteOn has launched so many versions of their Blu-Ray writers, that I can´t tell, if it works anymore.

I do not use BD-Roms for scanning Blu-Rays, because they are not reliable.

My external LiteOn eHBU312 seems to be completely useless for scanning, the reason might be the USB interface.

Maybe someone else who has the latest version of an internal LiteOn BD writer can bring some light to it.

Kind Regards

iHBS112 or iHBS312 are a good choice.

I guess you could also use a BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo drive along the lines of iHES208 or iHES212. iHES208 was a very popular choice at the time, and definitely a good scanner. I haven’t tried the iHES212, but that should be OK too. The non-Lightscribe versions (iHES108, iHES112) should also be fine.

Avoid BD-ROM/DVD-ROM (read only) drives. Traditionally they are not good scanners.

Finally, it might be worth buying a BD-RW drive like the iHBS112 rather than a BD-ROM combo such as the iHES112, because the difference in price between them might not be that much…

Hi:

According to this guy:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/difference-lite-ihbs112-liteon-ihbs212-t25586.html#p179566

What does this mean for the future of scanning optical media?

Are LiteON drives the only ones that can do it?

It seems optical drive product lines are getting discontinued left+right…

The development of optical media and drives is stagnating for some time.:frowning:

If LiteOn quits, there will be only Plextor-Writers (based on LiteOn drives) be able to do BR scans, but probably not for long…

[QUOTE=RealMrCRC;2701637]Hi:

According to this guy:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/difference-lite-ihbs112-liteon-ihbs212-t25586.html#p179566

What does this mean for the future of scanning optical media?

Are LiteON drives the only ones that can do it?

It seems optical drive product lines are getting discontinued left+right…[/QUOTE]
It’s hard to say. It seems a little odd that Lite-On would have bought up numerous competitors over the years like BenQ, Optiarc, Plextor, etc only to simply shut down.

Frankly, I think the future of scanning is more in danger from the apparently reality that ODC development has stopped so no new drives are getting supported.