Current Maxell 16X Media Codes

vbimport

This week, the local big box store has Maxell 16X media on sale for $12.99. Does anyone know the media code of either the +R or -Rs. When I don’t use Verbatim, I usally use TDK or Sony (they’re always on sale). I haven’t bought Maxell in years.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia
Good place to check. I can guarantee you won’t find MXLRG04 or MAXELL003 though.

[QUOTE=ajemm;2007783]This week, the local big box store has Maxell 16X media on sale for $12.99. Does anyone know the media code of either the +R or -Rs. When I don’t use Verbatim, I usally use TDK or Sony (they’re always on sale). I haven’t bought Maxell in years.[/QUOTE]

The “regular” Maxell DVD-Rs have either RITEKF1 or Prodisc F02 codes – while the “regular” Maxell DVD+Rs have CMC MAG M01, RICOHJPN R03 or (less commonly) RITEK F16 or RITEK R05 codes.

I just came across some 16x Maxell’s with TY media codes (+ and -R), see http://www.cdrwinkel.com/shop/browse/bannerid/166

How do they compare to TY 16x by Verbatim or the blanks from TY itself?

I haven’t seen the Hitachi High Grades in ages either…:sad:

Full Printables are TY as it seems these days. ( quite cheap sold here and there. Cheaper as taiyo yudens own products !)
Normal stuff is mostly ritek (In europe) with +R having Ricoh code.
On occasions stuff is CMC and prodisc.

For america much more stuff is CMC and prodisc.

In Europe this Maxell DVD-R can be RitekF1 or CMC MAG AM3

Sold in 100 pcs packs in cellophane wrapping.
The RitekF1 are great, but with CMC ones you can get very variable results. Ones batch can be very good and the next one a disaster.

[QUOTE=memberix;2078834]In Europe this Maxell DVD-R can be RitekF1 or CMC MAG AM3

Sold in 100 pcs packs in cellophane wrapping.
The RitekF1 are great, but with CMC ones you can get very variable results. Ones batch can be very good and the next one a disaster.[/QUOTE]

I’ve only ever had RITEKF1 - wouldn’t mind some AM3s as they work well for me.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2078893]I’ve only ever had RITEKF1 - wouldn’t mind some AM3s as they work well for me.[/QUOTE]

memberix is right, Maxell is probably selling B-grade CMC media with very variable quality :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=pepst;2078901]memberix is right, Maxell is probably selling B-grade CMC media with very variable quality :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Could well be :)…I personally won’t know unless I can find some :)…my Samsung drive will burn even not so good AM3 well though (Memorex).

The RITEKF1 is…alright, but not as nice as the RICOHJPN R03 that I get when I buy the Maxell 16x +Rs :cool:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2078908]Could well be :)…I personally won’t know unless I can find some :)…my Samsung drive will burn even not so good AM3 well though (Memorex).

The RITEKF1 is…alright, but not as nice as the RICOHJPN R03 that I get when I buy the Maxell 16x +Rs :cool:[/QUOTE]

I’ve always considered myself a fan of CMC’s media, but Maxell branded CMC AM3 are a big disappointment for me… :sad: However, they are certainly not the worst media you can buy :p.

[quote=dakhaas;2078689]Full Printables are TY as it seems these days. ( quite cheap sold here and there. Cheaper as taiyo yudens own products !)
[/quote]

Are these A grade or not?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2078908]The RITEKF1 is…alright, but not as nice as the RICOHJPN R03 that I get when I buy the Maxell 16x +Rs :cool:[/QUOTE]You haven’t gotten the good RITEKF1, then. :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thus far, I’ve gotten RITEKF1 [good up to 18x or 20x], RICOHJPN R03 [good and okay, some liked 16x, some didn’t], RITEK F16 [good, but not for 16x or above], CMC MAG M01 [able to be written at 18x without completely failing, so I consider it okay], and ProdiscF02 [good when it comes to PIF; up to 20x is okay]. Like was said, we don’t get Maxell-branded CMC MAG AM3 in the U.S. I have yet to get RITEK R05.

[QUOTE=pepst;2079420]I’ve always considered myself a fan of CMC’s media, but Maxell branded CMC AM3 are a big disappointment for me… :sad: However, they are certainly not the worst media you can buy :p.[/QUOTE]

Now I’m even more curious to try and find some! Maxell stuff’s usually been pretty good for me. But I definitely hear ya about some CMC lower-quality stuff slipping out, the Memorexes I had (AM3) aren’t terrific, either.

[QUOTE=Albert;2079583]You haven’t gotten the good RITEKF1, then. :bigsmile: :p[/QUOTE]

Hehe, yeah obviously! Actually, burns were fine (scan/TRT), but when it came to playback, that was a problem - the usual freezing/skipping etc. :slight_smile:

Just purchased Maxell DVD+R x16 from Office Depot $20 100pk.
They are Ritek F16 001.

Burns 16x on my TTST TS-H653B
Burns 8x on NEC ND-3450A

Converted my 3450A 103c to a 3500AG 21bbt and they work 16x.