Curious question about shoot em up

I had backed up this movie (movie only) with DVDFab awhile ago. I decided to watch it again and was going to play it on my computer (same computer that made the copy). My computer would not even recognize there was a disk in the drive. I have 3 drives, tried it in all 3 and none of them would recognize there was a disk in the drive. I then put it in my daughter’s computer and the same thing happened (in both of her drives). I then put the copy in my living room DVD player and it played it fine. I’m going, “WTF”.

Any ideas why this is?

That’s strange. There was a similar post a few weeks ago by another user (played in standalone, not in PC). Are the drives that it won’t play in DVD-ROMs or burners? What about the standalone?

All 5 in both computers are burners (my 3 drives are in my sig). The stand alone is a Sony (and btw, this copy also played fine in my son’s XBox). First time I’ve ever seen this happen (though I don’t play many of my movies on the computer). When this first happened I thought maybe something was going wrong with the first burner (even though it’s pretty new). I then put in a different copy (different movie) and it played it fine.

Dunno if this had anything to do with DVDFab’s making of this particular movie. I had used the first Beta version of DVDFab (free) that said it could rip this movie.

Was the different movie that played a back up made with the same burner that made the the back up that wouldn’t play ? Don’t ask me to try and repeat that ok,lol ! ~ Mike

Mike,
We watched shoot em up last night on our set top dvd player.

Used dvd platinum to make the backup./main movie only.
Have 2 Plextor 716A 16x burners used as source and destination.

Saw your post and just put the backup in both plextors.
It plays fine…
Don’t understand why your having a problem with it.

Also, what type of media was it ? Is it the same as you always used ? ~ Mike

Was the different movie that played a back up made with the same burner that made the the back up that wouldn’t play ?

It didn’t make a difference. Any other movie I’ve made played on the computer (on any of my 3 drives), same as the stand alone DVD player. Only this backup has acted this way. No change in Media used.

A rather strange issue with this backup indeed.

Course of events:
Put backup in first drive. Went “?”.
Put backup in second drive. Went “??”.
Put backup in third drive. Went "??, huh?"
Put backup in other computer’s first drive. Went “??, huh, hmm”.
Put backup in other computer’s second drive. Went "??, huh, huh, hmm"
Put backup in standalone DVD player (which played it). Went “???, huh, huh, hmm, WTF?”.

Man that’s a tough one. Never seen a post like this. I mean if Windows doesn’t even see it, you can’t even use an app. like CD-DVD Speed to look it over with. I’m sorry Mike89. I’m really stumped. I will keep watching and hopefully somebody a lot smarter than me will be able to give you a answer ok. Then I’ll learn something too. ~ Mike

what program(s) do you use to watch dvd’s on your computer(s)? does dvdfab recognize the disc?

troy

It actually sounds like the disk has either been damaged or lost its burn…

I agree with WTF statement…

Check for fingerprints, oily sh1t, etc

what program(s) do you use to watch dvd’s on your computer(s)? does dvdfab recognize the disc?

I use either PowerDVD 7 or Windows Media Player (11 with Nvidia Pure Video codec).

Windows doesn’t see the disk so DVDFab sure can’t. I will have to burn it again. Must have gotten a bad burn but still curious how 2 standalone DVD players (Xbox and Sony) would play it but 5 DVD burners (on two different computers) would not. I mean, what are the odds?

This one will surely go down as a genuine WTF!

had this problem before.
if the toc \finalising is not written correctly.
this happens sometimes if the computer is bumped during burning or if the burn didnt work right, like if too much compression is used.
if overburn is on, it will do this at the edge of some badly made discs.

i think people believe that discs will copy 100% of the time and the truth is they wont. i must say though that dvdfab is the best dvd software ever.

truth is you may never find out what happened.

ps i just backed up “shoot’em up” with no problems. = platinum