Ctfmon runs in the background

vbimport

Microsoft Office, Encarta and some other programs load ctfmon.exe on startup and it always runs in the background and at times uses considerable resources. Microsoft has an application note on how to get rid of this file and it includes changes to Office, then going into the control panel and selecting Region and Language Options and making changes there and finally uninstalling a couple of signals from the registry. The link to the MS application note is:

Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe

There is a much simpler way to get rid of this (you can’t just remove it from the startup without problems):

Go to Control Panel, “Region and Language Options”, select “Languages”, “Details”, “Advanced” tab and check the box next to “Turn off advanced text services.” That will remove ctfmon from startup. BTW after you select “Details” if you select “Language Bar” you can permanently get rid of that annoying Language Bar toolbar. Of course if you use the functions supported by the Language Bar and ctfmon then you are stuck with it running in the background.

omg!!11!one!1111````2 its da ph34rd capture da fl4g monsta!1111`1

Ignore that.

I know its not exiting and force you to take a cold shower but if you can save some resources WTFN?

the best way to avoid trouble with ctfmon.exe is not to install it while office-installation… :wink:

Thanks, I always wanted to do that but never bothered to research it.
I just killed it on four of my computers.