Ctfmon.exe what it really is?

vbimport

According to my googling research, this file seems to be related to MS office. But usually if when I plug in my flash drive to a laptop (OS:XP with MS office in it) and then plug it into my desktop, Avast! usually comes up a virus warning saying that there is a virus in the recycle folder in my drive and the infected file is ctfmon.exe . Should I find a way to remove this file or is Avast! just giving me a virus alert for a file that really isn’t a virus?

[QUOTE=rock.freak667;2024548]According to my googling research, this file seems to be related to MS office. But usually if when I plug in my flash drive to a laptop (OS:XP with MS office in it) and then plug it into my desktop, Avast! usually comes up a virus warning saying that there is a virus in the recycle folder in my drive and the infected file is ctfmon.exe . Should I find a way to remove this file or is Avast! just giving me a virus alert for a file that really isn’t a virus?[/QUOTE]

Which office are you using and how update is your xp updates?? Is your Avast A/V list updated on both laptop and desktop?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2024555]Which office are you using and how update is your xp updates?? Is your Avast A/V list updated on both laptop and desktop?[/QUOTE]

On the laptop its office 2003 and on the desktop its 2007
The laptop has never been connected to the internet so the A/V updates are just what came with it (got it in 2007). On the desktop everything is up to date(both XP updates and A/V updates).

CTFMon comes with Microsoft Office XP and Windows XP – it activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office XP Language Bar. As long as the Text Services & Speech are enabled in the Control Panel, this program will force itself back into your list of background programs.

Recommendation :
In 2006 CTFMON is needed on many PCs for Windows Update to work – we suggest, therefore, that you leave it running.