Crystal could lead to unlimited lifetime data storage

Jingyu Zhang: “We are developing a very stable and safe form of portable memory using nanostructured glass.”

http://www.orc.soton.ac.uk/5dopticalstore.html

Interesting. I see that a 300k txt file was written as a test, while projected capacities could be 360 TB/disc. I will volunteer to do the 360tb drives, by the way. Even a half dozen or so - this would certainly help my movie collection.

These will speed up Windows by 50%, right?

I also notice the temperature range is in the Hubby-Certified oven range of 1000°C. I’ve suspected a lot of his carbonized leftovers would remain over 1000c, but I’ve never convinced him to sit still that long. He’s not always very helpful.

And what’s with the “practically unlimited lifetime”? Does this mean, if I’m using these crystals as champagne glasses, that I can’t throw them into fireplaces after the proper toasts? I suppose not. I wish they’d make that more explicit.

If these claims are as good as the life expectency of CDs & DVDs was supposed to be then the “crystals” should outlast me anyway.
I want mine in the form of a crystal ball . That way I can get data stored from the past, present & future.

Of course, what happens if the crystals get scratched? That’s a lot of data to replace.

I don’t think these crystals are where they would get scratched .
My actual concern would be the laser used to do the writing & reading.
What is its lifespan & how replaceable is it.

What if they get scratched? Oh jeepers… there ya go again… Well, fortunately, I’m hoping these will be about $109 retail, so I can get a few as backups. I wonder - will these come with little holes drilled in them so we can dangle them from a chandelier? Does anyone know? That’d be pretty cute, even if it does sound like a Hitchcock film!

I hope write-times are about a kajillion yada-bytes per second so the 360Tb drives can be written in about 4 minutes or so.

Somehow, I get the feeling we’ll probably be thinking “stone tablet & chisel” eventually.

Oh, well, we have flip phones so people can indulge their Star Trek communicator
fantasies, so I guess “Data crystals” were going to show up… eventually…

I always thought the Star Trek flip-commuinicator was a step-backwards from the Dick Tracy wrist-radio, though, and then those moon episodes. Well, enough said about those!

If it takes data-crystals, fine with me. I think it’d be great if science-fact would overtake science-fiction more rapidly. I’ve already got a savings-fund started for my Jetsons car.

I want a nice blue one as an ear ring . I would have to get my ear peirced.
Then it needs to work with brain waves . Those would need to be user specific.
I wouldn’t want it picking up someone elses.
Maybe a bit too far ?

Cholla, shhhhh… pretty soon, then reception becomes an issue and some geek company thinks, “All I need to do is mount a few antenna or dishes on the highest point of any mobile human.”

“Can I get VHF on these?”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2693092]I always thought the Star Trek flip-commuinicator was a step-backwards from the Dick Tracy wrist-radio, though, and then those moon episodes. Well, enough said about those!

If it takes data-crystals, fine with me. I think it’d be great if science-fact would overtake science-fiction more rapidly. I’ve already got a savings-fund started for my Jetsons car.[/QUOTE]

I remember the Television add with Avery Brooks voice over complaining about “where are the flying cars”

I thought it was funny as hell but I actually understand why there are NOT “Flying cars” because frankly if they made flying cars I’d either buy an anti-aircraft gun or move into an abandoned mine…

Because judging by the typical idiots on the road I really don’t want them flying over my house…

And while you might reply about them having an autopilot in my version of reality these autopilots would be made (or programmed) by the same company that makes the electronics for Airbus and that frankly is even more frightening.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2693092]I always thought the Star Trek flip-commuinicator was a step-backwards from the Dick Tracy wrist-radio, though, and then those moon episodes. Well, enough said about those!

If it takes data-crystals, fine with me. I think it’d be great if science-fact would overtake science-fiction more rapidly. I’ve already got a savings-fund started for my Jetsons car.[/QUOTE]

I remember the Television add with Avery Brooks voice over complaining about “where are the flying cars”

I thought it was funny as hell but I actually understand why there are NOT “Flying cars” because frankly if they made flying cars I’d either buy an anti-aircraft gun or move into an abandoned mine…

Because judging by the typical idiots on the road I really don’t want them flying over my house…

And while you might reply about them having an autopilot in my version of reality these autopilots would be made (or programmed) by the same company that makes the electronics for Airbus and that frankly is even more frightening, than the typical idiot driver who is either drunk, drugged, distracted or just more stupid than the average.

I confessed in another thread that I do indeed have a secret fund for my Jetsons car. Every time I drop another nickle or dime in that fund-slot, I first make sure Hubby’s away from the dungeon vault area - I’ve got Jack Benny’s guard there. And Fibber McGee promised never to open THAT door.

It bothers me about the huge volume of electronics in cars now. I just saw that Mazda 6’s have a new auto-braking system?!! Are you kidding me? Auto-Parking. GPS steering. Radar systems.

“I’m not to blame - sue North Star!”

I waiting for the day Washington throws the switch & all the electronics in modern vehicles fail. "We the People " will be easier to control when we are on foot.

About 15 years ago or so the Border Patrol in Texas tested a strip that could be rolled across a highway. Unlike the spiked chain to blow out the tires. This was just a flat strip that emmited an EMP for frying the electronics in a vehicle. Any news of it or its use disappeared. I think it wasn’t supposed to be used & was out too soon .
Pulled because it would give us a warning of what was coming.

I wish I still had a vehicle with a points distributor & coil.
It would probably temporarily shut down but start again as soon as the EMP was over.

I think we should go back to picking up the phone and asking Lily Tomlin to connect us to someone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o