CRW4816 not recognising any CD-R/RW media

vbimport

Hi,

Our OS is Windows 2000 professional, and we have a BenQ CRW4816 burner, and it will not recognise any CDR/RW discs. The green light will flash after inserting the tray, then will turn off. And, also, we can’t seem to get any other part of the PC (i.e. software) to recognise that there is media inserted.

The funny thing is, the drive has no problems at all reading discs such as Nero install and Microsoft discs.

This problem seems to have appeared after sending our PC to some pro’s to get the HDD replaced, as it somehow, unfortunately, became unreadable, though it was a fair while after getting it back when we first tried to use the burner to actually burn CD’s.

The other day I managed to update the firmware on the burner, and that went well, but made no difference to our problem.

Has anyone got any solutions to this? By the looks of it there are quite a few cases of this type of thing.

I can provide a Nero CD Speed report if needed.

Thanks

ineedhalp.

Sorry, can’t work out how to edit the above post. But I think I might have a possible answer to the problem. The burner is set to the slave on the secondary IDE channel, but there appears to be no master set for the secondary channel, so there is a slave but no master, according to Nero InfoTool. Does this sound unusual?

Hi,

yes, this is not normal and should be fixed. If that is the only drive on that cable, set the jumper at the back of the drive to master and connect it to the last connector of the cable.

Michael

Thank you mciahel.

I’ve done that, and now the burner is recognised as the master on that cable, as it turns out to be the only device on that cable. Sadly, it still isn’t recognising any CDR/RW media that I put in the drive. :frowning:

Might it be worth using KillASPI, and the rebooting, do you think?

Another thing I just noticed. In device manager, the drive ATAPI CD-R/RW 48x16 properties say that the device type is ‘DVD/CD-ROM drives’. Could this mean that it’s somehow not being recognised as a burner by windows, when it should be?

Hi,

No. This is absolutely normal on a W2k system.
But please specify your problem more detailled.
Are you able to read CD-R with data on it?
Does your CD writing software detect the blanks properly? Please note, that Windows can’t handle blank media at all, so you must use CD writing software.
Is there any virtual CD/DVD Rom drive software installed? Remove that for troubleshooting. Also uninstall all CD writing software and reinstall Nero after having run Nero clean tools.

If you have another computer available, you may try the drive there. If it fails, too, then it is time to buy something new.

Michael

Thanks for the reply.

No, I can not read any CD-R with data on it, it’s not even recognised as being a disc in the drive.

Nero won’t recognise the blanks. When opening Disc-Info in Nero, it says that the Drive isn’t ready, or there are no discs inserted.

I don’t think there is any virtual drive software installed. By virtual I assume you mean something that makes the PC recognise something like part of a hard disk as a CD/DVD drive.

Ok. I’ll have a go at removing burning software and running Nero clean tools, if it still fails, I think I can probably find another person who will allow me to try running the burner on their computer.

Thanks.

Hi,

you’re welcome :slight_smile:

No, I can not read any CD-R with data on it, it’s not even recognised as being a disc in the drive.
Hm. Maybe the lens is dirty. Or there is something seriously wrong with your Windows installation. Is there a friend with a working CD writer and broadband internet, who can make a Knoppix CD for you? A bootable CD made with Nero would also do the job. If you were able to boot your system with that bootable CD-R, then this would indicate a Windows problem (there are some copy protections, that affect handling of optical discs heavily).

I don’t think there is any virtual drive software installed. By virtual I assume you mean something that makes the PC recognise something like part of a hard disk as a CD/DVD drive.
A virtual drive will enable you to use a disc image like a real CD drive. Examples for such software are Deamon Tools, Alcohol or Virtual CD.

Michael

Well, I’ve uninstalled all my writing software and rebooted, it all seems to have gone, including InCD and Nero.
But, a small problem: now, surprisingly, Windows is not listing our CD-ROM nor our CD-R/RW drives. Looking in the Device Manager, there are exclamation icons next to both drives, and on looking at their properties, ‘windows can not load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)’.
Troubleshooter says that Code 31 means the device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly.

So it looks like I’ve stuffed something up here, uninstalling those programs and running Nero Clean Tool…

Yes, we can have one made if necessary. But we do have a Windows 2000 Boot Disk on CD-R here, would that do?

Ok. In that case, we don’t have anything like that.

Thanks

Hi,

I never encountered that problem. At first, uninstall the drives from device manager and reboot. If that doesn’t help, then you’ll have to delete “upper and lower filters”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Instead of manually editing your registry, you can also try ImgBurn, as this has an option “Filter Driver Load Order”, that allows deleting these entries in a very simple manner.

(Knoppix CD) Yes, we can have one made if necessary. But we do have a Windows 2000 Boot Disk on CD-R here, would that do?
Yes. This will help sorting out Windows problems (that are also present, at least now). But watch the screen output as the Windows CD requires “press any key” in order to boot from the CD. An old Win98 CD on CD-R would also do fine here.

Michael

Ok, done that, rebooted, and now the two drives are visible in My Computer etc.

Yes. This will help sorting out Windows problems (that are also present, at least now). But watch the screen output as the Windows CD requires “press any key” in order to boot from the CD. An old Win98 CD on CD-R would also do fine here.

Ok, tried that with our Windows Boot CD, but I watched the monitor output during startup, and there was nothing instructing to press a key to boot from the CD, so I guess that means the problem might not be with Windows.

I’ve reinstalled Nero and attempted an audio cd burn, but pressing the ‘burn CD’ button brings up a dialog asking to insert a medium to write to, even when I’ve already got a CD-R in there. I’ve tried a variety of CD-R’s and not even one of them is accepted as a medium.

Hm. Sure you have set boot priority correctly in BIOS setup? My W2k CD (original and slipstreamed copy) boots shortly and then waits for “any key” for a couple of seconds. If I ignore that, then the system continues booting from the harddisk.

I’ve reinstalled Nero and attempted an audio cd burn, but pressing the ‘burn CD’ button brings up a dialog asking to insert a medium to write to, even when I’ve already got a CD-R in there. I’ve tried a variety of CD-R’s and not even one of them is accepted as a medium.
Is there another drive in your system? A simple CD-ROM drive would be okay. Get a Knoppix CD and boot from that using the other drive. There is a Nero style CD burning application - K3B - that should allow you to test the burning capabilities of your Philips drive.

Michael

I’m sure the BIOS priority is right, as I also tried the boot CD in our normal CD-ROM drive, and ‘boot from CD’ did show for a few seconds.

Is there another drive in your system?

Yeah, as you will figure, from above.

Get a Knoppix CD and boot from that using the other drive. There is a Nero style CD burning application - K3B - that should allow you to test the burning capabilities of your Philips drive.

Ok, I’ll try and get around to trying that soon. Will let you know of the results.

Thanks

Hm, I just noticed in Nero, that there is an apparent ‘Image recorder’ in the select recorder dialog. It says that it is a virtual device and has both the Adapter-No. and SCSI-ID as just a hyphen/dash. It also lists the CD-R/RW device, with an SCSI-ID of 0, and Adapter-No. as 1, and it has atapi as the adapter.
Perhaps that’s what you meant by virtual drive software? Sorry, I hadn’t noticed earlier.

The Image Recorder is Nero’s own thing and not a virtual drive.
Virtual drives are stuff like DAEMON TOOLS or Nero ImageDrive (a separate Nero product).

Ok. That’s alright then, I guess. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi

I’ve made a knoppix CD, but unfortunately upon pressing enter to boot knoppix, I get an error:

[I]Accessing Knoppix CD… - insmod: error inserting ‘/cdrom/knoppix/modules/cloop.ko’: -1 Invalid module format

Can’t find knoppix filesystem[/I]…

I guess this is probably an error which occurs because something went wrong with the writing of the CD, or the transfer of the ISO?

Hi,

This might have different reasons:

[ul]
[li] the downloaded ISO is bad[/li][li] bad disc or bad burn[/li][li] perhaps incompatible controller your drive is attached (I had a similar issue with a drive connected to a Promise controller).[/li][/ul]
Maybe you’ll find some hints here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ
You can also try that disc on another computer to rule out one of these issues.

Michael

Thanks, yeah I might try it on another computer then.

Hi,

I’ve just got Ubuntu 7.04, and I’m able to use K3b on this. Is there something I should look for/try to do in this program, that you’d recommend?

Thanks

ineedhalp