Crucial MX100 512GB SSD Review – High performance on a budget SSD

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following review: Crucial MX100 512GB SSD Review – High performance on a budget SSD.[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/Crucial-logo-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The all new MX100 SSD from Crucial is looking to be a game changing drive when it comes performance and speed. You can find the answer to the question simply by reading this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/crucial-mx100-512gb-ssd-review-high-performance-on-a-budget-ssd-72093](http://www.myce.com/review/crucial-mx100-512gb-ssd-review-high-performance-on-a-budget-ssd-72093)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Excellent review,

Thanks Vroom

Any chance of putting the Samsung 840 evo in as a comparison?

Hi debro
What results do you want and where?
I have the results for the 840 evo 750GB SSD in my synthetic benchmarks,

Vroom,

You did not mention the TBW for this SSD. But my guess is that it is probably the same as the Crucial M550 which is 72 TBW. I also think it would be a little helpful to include the power consumption if possible. Anyway thank you for the review.

[QUOTE=Auzzie Kid;2731124]Vroom,

You did not mention the TBW for this SSD. But my guess is that it is probably the same as the Crucial M550 which is 72 TBW. I also think it would be a little helpful to include the power consumption if possible. Anyway thank you for the review.[/QUOTE]

The TBW is the same as the M550, as for power consumption i can tell you that for now I can measure it correctly, so it want be there, plus not much point on putting the numbers that the manufacturer gives.

i have the 840 250gb and the mx 512gb, samsung is faster

[QUOTE=vroom;2731200]The TBW is the same as the M550, as for power consumption i can tell you that for now I can measure it correctly, so it want be there, plus not much point on putting the numbers that the manufacturer gives.[/QUOTE]
And the MTFB is 171 years, LOL, ( Mean Time Before failure) 1,500,000 hours.

@Mateo Dalmaa No idea about the 840 or their latest SSD’s mainly because i dont have any samsung SSD’s so I cant comment about the difference in speed between the two drives, and also getting a samsung SSD is not going to happen anytime soon. So maybe the the 840 is faster, but the MX100 is a great value for money here in Greece.

@Alan, most users will be switching to a new SSD, maybe m.2? long before their drive reach 1/4 of the MTBF :wink:

Thts tru vrrom, the crucial is a good worth and value for the money, well todays SSD are like all the same. I remember back ago around 5 years with my first intel 80 and then 160SSD sata 2, when the competence were with lies about the sppeds (sequential) but intel were the number one…
A lot of things have changed, now intel do not produce its own chips, now intel SSD are for the thrash, yes believe even the news pcie express, nothing new from the last 2 years and will be no more performance, as they stop on the random read / write, and this is were the speed and performance of the suystem is notable, but again they now only goes putting more and more chips in raid, to get more sequencial speed, this does not improve the performance.
Now we need to look at RAM drive.
Sometime ago 2-3 comapnies try with no success, primerafor the unculture of the medias / webs / promotion none, but the future will be based on ram disk as they have in orderof 700+MB ramdom read/w vs currently max 35MBps on drives like the 84’ pro

[QUOTE=vroom;2739544]@Mateo Dalmaa No idea about the 840 or their latest SSD’s mainly because i dont have any samsung SSD’s so I cant comment about the difference in speed between the two drives, and also getting a samsung SSD is not going to happen anytime soon. So maybe the the 840 is faster, but the MX100 is a great value for money here in Greece.

@Alan, most users will be switching to a new SSD, maybe m.2? long before their drive reach 1/4 of the MTBF ;)[/QUOTE]
At my age I would settle for a 10 year MTFB LOL.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2739550]At my age I would settle for a 10 year MTFB LOL.;)[/QUOTE]

You forgot one more zero in the end of 10 :wink:

In ten years the capacity will be at minimum of 5x the current so people will upgrade their drives and backup the data to new ones, so no worried about endurance of SSD (except for servers and this kind of applications)

SSDs liek curcial and samsung, samsung is faster but crucial is better, as crucial make its own chips, I bet that will end no later than 5-7 years of normal users of 2-4 hours / day

Samsung has total control of their SSD’s they manufacture everything, controller, NAND, RAM and firmware.
Crucial makes NAND, RAM and write the firmware for their SSD’s, both of them are excellent choices and int he end it comes down to price and what you need.

If you are a light user every modern SSD will do the job just fine until we M.2 PCIe x4 is available and more mainstream.

but crucial is way more experienced than samsung, in producing its own chips, well this is what i think

[QUOTE=Mateo Dalmas;2739560]but crucial is way more experienced than samsung, in producing its own chips, well this is what i think[/QUOTE]

Both of them are competing at a very high level when it comes to NAND manufacturing, also many other things, keep in mind that also Toshiba and Sandisk are up there with Samsung and Micron.

Firmware update is out for the MX100 512GB MU02. Has any one tried it yet?

I didnt install it, but this is what crucial says it fixes.

Version MU02 includes the following changes:

Improved stability, Efficiency, and Performance during power state transitions
Improved handling of environments with unstable power supplies
Improved handling of environments with SATA interface signal integrity issues
Improved response time for SMART read commands
Corrected error handling NCQ Trim Commands
Corrected reporting of SMART Attribute 5

Once I have some free time i might install it and rum some extra tests with that drive.

Just did it. All is well so far. Internet Explorer loads real fast. Used Crucial Storage Executive. Very easy & fast. Not much to it.