Crucial memory?

Does anyone know the difference between standard crucial memory and balistix, in particular, these 2?

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3402807&CatId=2264

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4089571&CatId=2264

I got 15 days to find memory and test a motherboard (pos ecs so I got to test it). I got it at frys for 20$. It is supposed to be able to overclock 1066 processors to 1333 and pc6400 (a few reviews got a little further, others didn’t). I’m not quite familiar with overclocking core 2 processors and relation to memory (my current board is an even older ecs that is running ddr memory). It will get an e6300 for now but I also jumped on the board as it will support quad core (most liklly no overclock past 1333 though). Maybe if processor prices fall due to the i7, I might get a quad core down the road so thats a consideration. Does anyone know the difference (overclockability or other)?

There are also these 2. Its not the most reliable dealer, but I can pick up locally.
http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=85364
http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=82799

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163&Tpk=CT2KIT12864AA800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148204&Tpk=BL2KIT12864AA80A
newegg has a little more info on the kits. Looks like the kit with the heatspreaders has much tighter timings but runs at 2.0 volts. If you don’t have voltage options, or CAS timings ajustments on your board, I would avoid this kit.

Ballistix doesnt run at stock 1.8V
//Danne

Ripit, the ram speed is not as important when oc’ing a C2D, so long as its rated at 800mhz because you can lower the speed of the ram then OC the FSB up to the rated speed of the ram, and it will usually go higher than its rated speed.
check out this deal, this should work fine:
A-DATA Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) $26 FS

crucial is Micron. Since not every crucial product has Micron chips on it, it does not make more sense to buy than every other high quality memory product like A-DATA for example. Unfortunately that’s the truth. I would love to see crucial selling only Micron chips on their product. On the other hand there’s nothing wrong with buying crucial at all. It’s a great choice. Just be prepared to the possibility of not having Micron chips, although it’s crucial. Normally I always buy A-DATA. I had very bad experience with Kingston and Corsair, but great experience with crucial.

I would go with Corsair (great customer care btw) or Cruical than A-Data which pretty much seems like a hit or miss when it comes to their products in general.
//Danne

I have been pretty impressed with crucial ddr memory which is why I was looking at it but I’m not opposed to other brands. In all honesty, while I have worked on ddr2 systems, this will be the first one of my own (running 5 ddr systems including the e6300 on an old hybrid board that supports ddr and ddr2). It will support 2.0v (but no higher). I was tempted to get the balistix as it might have better future potential should I wish to use it in a better overclocking system. I suppose that either will work fine at pc6400 though, right? This board

will only overclock to 1333 or a little past (though it can overclock a 1066 processor to 1333). So basically any ddr2 800 should be able to do that overclock (just set the speed memory speed down and let it overclock to 800)?

Would it even matter if it could overclock better with future upgraded systems, like say an intel quad core (I’m kind of hoping they drop when the i7’s come out) and perhaps a better overclocking board (not now but maybe in the future), or would it still be close to as good to just down speed the memory and then overclock it up to stock?

Ideally I would like to get something cheap locally (axiontech/directron, frys, micro center and compusa are all local), but wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if it would give me a current advantage or future advantage. Will the ddr2 balistix overclock well or is it a gamble on what chips you get?

The brands you can trust 100% in my personal oppinion are A-DATA (A-DATA XPG), crucial (crucial Ballistix/Tracer), Kingston (Kingston HYPERX) and mushkin. It’s not so much a gamble with these brands, but on the other hand shipments always seem to differ a little. You can have luck or bad luck with EVERY of these brands. I think that mushkin are the ones that take the screening process of the chips to the absolute max. Then follows Kingston and A-DATA sharing the second position of screening quality, but A-DATA being the winner in my personal opinion. I like A-DATA even more than Mushkin to be honest. A very important thing to know about Kingston HYPERX packages is that - that’s the horrible experience I mentioned earlier - their specs are not the actual specs, but the Kingston tested OC end! If you by DDR2-800 CL4 RAM you get DDR2-667 CL5 chips. You have to buy DDR2-800 CL3 or DDR2-1066 CL5 to get DDR2-800 chips. But I don’t know if it’s CL4 or CL5 then. It’s possible that you have to buy 1066+ to get 800 CL4 chips. Corsair, OCZ, PATRIOT resulted in defective chips after a few months even at 1.8V/JEDEC clocking. Horrible.

But all the different opinions voiced resulting from different experiences should be considered and filtered/combined to your best needs. Take me for example. [B]DiiZzY[/B] for example was easily able to convince me to change from nVIDIA to ATI GPUs as I’m panicked by the solder issue (although I tend not to believe that hysteria by the press but until I don’t know 100% for sure I won’t risk it…), but possibly would never be able to get me from FOXCONN motherboards to GIGABYTE, from Seagate HDDs to WD or away from ENERMAX PSUs and A-DATA XPG memory. :wink:

I guess I disagree. If A-DATA fixed their crappy QC, maybe I’d think better of them.

In terms of compatibility, I find Crucial and Kingston at the top. Mushkin is widely compatible as well, and Corsair is a good bet excepting a couple of snafus in the past.

Ripit–if you’re in the U.S.A., I’ll send you a pair of 1GB Micron D9GHM sticks if you like. Just to say thanks for all the great deals you’ve posted. :slight_smile: Gimme a PM if you’d like 'em.

[QUOTE=anikk;2157398]crucial is Micron. Since not every crucial product has Micron chips on it, it does not make more sense to buy than every other high quality memory product like A-DATA for example. Unfortunately that’s the truth. I would love to see crucial selling only Micron chips on their product. On the other hand there’s nothing wrong with buying crucial at all. It’s a great choice. Just be prepared to the possibility of not having Micron chips, although it’s crucial. Normally I always buy A-DATA. I had very bad experience with Kingston and Corsair, but great experience with crucial.[/QUOTE]Really? I never knew that, they advertise as being under micron and selling only micron chips. Does Lexar use micron only though?

Yes, definitely. crucial is Micron and crucial does not always have Micron chips. Micron chips more expensive than others and crucial serves the lower-end market as well. But there’s nothing that would speak against crucial memory at any price level.

Lexar: Lexar is Micron. That’s for sure. But aren’t they only USB flash products, memory cards etc.?

Thanks for the help everyone. I have decided to take tropic up on his offer so the search is over. I would have felt a little bad about taking the offer as I can afford the memory, but he replaced them with bigger sticks so if they are not being used, I would love to have them!!! Its better, faster rated memory than I would have wanted to spend the money for anyway. I’ll keep every ones good advice in mind for my next upgrade (as everything has gone to ddr2 and my systems are all still ddr1).

Thanks again to tropic for the memory offer!!!

All the people I wish I could talk to all the time, oc and gamers. I hope I can still catch u guys on here.

Program: looking at forums on memory I’ve read people doing memory tests for like 18hrs., before putting them in ther computer. My ques., is, is there a program out there to do a test on memory before u install it, if so what’s the best u recomend and where do I get it?

Program: If there is aprogram for the above, then there is got to be a program that teaches you to overclock your memory,mobo,psu, and psu. If so please let me know! I want to learn everything about o.c…!

Memory: Timing, the first 3 numbers do i want them to be low or high? The last number low or high? Or , all the numbers in a group be closest to gether as possible?

Memory: Latency, do I want the number to be low or high.

Memory 800, what would you guys recomend easy to over clock and work with DDR2?

Memory 1600, what would you guys recomend easy to overclock and work with DDR2?

Thanks, newbie just wanting to learn everything! Just think a year ago never touched a computer, now I want to know everything! -j-

[QUOTE=anikk;2157988]Yes, definitely. crucial is Micron and crucial does not always have Micron chips. Micron chips more expensive than others and crucial serves the lower-end market as well. But there’s nothing that would speak against crucial memory at any price level.

Lexar: Lexar is Micron. That’s for sure. But aren’t they only USB flash products, memory cards etc.?[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to find out if a specific crucial product uses Micron chips?

[QUOTE=Goit;2158252]Is there any way to find out if a specific crucial product uses Micron chips?[/QUOTE]
If its like ddr memory was, you pretty much have to go searching the overclocking forums to find out which models use which chips. Some only used micron chips while others varied. Not all micron chips are good overclockers either (though I think they are all good quality).

@kirdog69, you have to install memory to test it. Here is a guide for overclocking core 2 processors.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316
You should be able to find overclocking guides for other processors on the same site.

[QUOTE=Goit;2158252]Is there any way to find out if a specific crucial product uses Micron chips?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I’d stay clear of Crucial RAM, especially if overclocking.
I’ve seen excessive failures in systems that I’ve recently built for clients with Crucial RAM.

I’ve personally had to RAM my DDR2 PC8500 Ballistix twice in the past six months.

DDR RAM List
http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr/

DDR2 RAM List
http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr2/

DDR3 RAM List
http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr3/

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2158662]

I’ve personally had to RAM my DDR2 PC8500 Ballistix twice in the past six months.
[/QUOTE]

EDIT
I’ve personally had to [B]RMA[/B] my DDR2 PC8500 Ballistix twice in the past six months.

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2158708]EDIT
I’ve personally had to [B]RMA[/B] my DDR2 PC8500 Ballistix twice in the past six months.[/QUOTE]
Just out of curiosity, do you know what chips were on them? Do you suspect problems with micron chips or just the build of the crucial ram?

[QUOTE=ripit;2158657]If its like ddr memory was, you pretty much have to go searching the overclocking forums to find out which models use which chips. Some only used micron chips while others varied. Not all micron chips are good overclockers either (though I think they are all good quality).

@kirdog69, you have to install memory to test it. Here is a guide for overclocking core 2 processors.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316
You should be able to find overclocking guides for other processors on the same site.[/QUOTE]

It’s a flash drive.

What chips are best for overclocking? What are the best chips out there for DDR2 and DDR3?