Crucial M500 SSD Review - A continuing evolution

vbimport

Crucial M500 SSD Review - A continuing evolution.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/06/E1Noz.png[/newsimage]A single word is enought to describe the Crucial M500 SSD, and that word is Evolution. But a single word isnt enough to give you an idea how good this drive is, you can read all about the Crucial M500 perfromance in this full review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/crucial-m500-ssd-review-a-continuing-evolution-67450/](http://www.myce.com/review/crucial-m500-ssd-review-a-continuing-evolution-67450/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yo-

Excellent review - just wonder why it only received a "Very Good’ rating - seems like “Excellent” or “Outstanding” (like your review of the M4 was rated) would have been more appropriate-eh.

Mike, the drive is excellent, but there are much faster drives out there.
I think that the editors award shows how much i like this SSD.

Plus if crucial continues to have the same support for their drive, any award for me would be unnecessary.

Great review Vroom

I feel it’s becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between the performance of client/consumer drives. Compared to where we were just a year or so ago, most have excellent performance. I think you are right to start emphasising other factors, particularly support.

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2689947]Great review Vroom

I feel it’s becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between the performance of client/consumer drives.
Compared to where we were just a year or so ago, most have excellent performance. [/QUOTE]

Thank JR, it is very difficult to differentiate drive A from drive B, and I believe that in the future this will become even harder.

I think you are right to start emphasising other factors, particularly support.

Support for is something that is very important for me. I think that it’s time for many of us to turn our focus on also on other things, such as RMA support, Firmware support and also build quality.
Overall to be able to have a trouble free experience with the SSD that you got.

On the subject of support, it would be nice to see any manufacturer stand behind their product, with a guarantee to recover your data, and copy the drive to the rma replacement, as a free service.

[QUOTE=debro;2689955]On the subject of support, it would be nice to see any manufacturer stand behind their product, with a guarantee to recover your data, and copy the drive to the rma replacement, as a free service.[/QUOTE]

Would you like them to come to your house to do this , or just send the drive back.:bigsmile: Data recovery was never a part of any Hdds drive warrantee, spinners or SSDs.

[QUOTE=debro;2689955]On the subject of support, it would be nice to see any manufacturer stand behind their product, with a guarantee to recover your data, and copy the drive to the rma replacement, as a free service.[/QUOTE]
It would be nice to see a lot of things but that doesn’t mean they are ever going to happen, Data recovery is very expensive, more than the SSD is worth, I don’t think you will be seeing this very soon.:wink:

I really would like to know how much something like this would add to the cost of the drive.

[QUOTE=FiveAngels;2689965]Would you like them to come to your house to do this , or just send the drive back.:bigsmile: Data recovery was never a part of any Hdds drive warrantee, spinners or SSDs.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2689966]It would be nice to see a lot of things but that doesn’t mean they are ever going to happen, Data recovery is very expensive, more than the SSD is worth[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

[QUOTE=vroom;2689983]I really would like to know how much something like this would add to the cost of the drive.[/QUOTE]
If the manufacturer actually had confidence in it’s product, not much.
If the manufacturer knows the products are lemons, alot.

It’d definitely be a price polariser …
Those cheap as chips SSD’s might not look like such a bargain when you factor in the real TCO.

The way I see it is that most lower capacity SSD’s eliminate 1/2 of the flash chips, which then for the average user, doubles the writes to those chips, ie 1/2 the operational life, or twice the likelihood of failure.

Okay I have had the Crucial M500 480gb for a month now. This SSD is as fast as the Corsair Neutrons and a lot of other new SSDs, if you leave out the top two ( Samsung 840 Pro and OCZ Vector) its as fast as any of the others. Its also is as durable. I believe the 960gb version of the Crucial M500 will be an SSD that will severely impair other companies from charging exorbitant prices. At 599.99 for a 960gb SSD that is very fast and has a great warrantee and I bet when these are not sold out the minute they hit the shelf, the prices will drop even further. I bought one from Amazon for 570.00 when they were first released and I have not had the SSD delivered yet. When these are readily available look for the prices of other top shelf SSDs to come down a bit. Jmho.;):wink:

Yo-

Have just purchased and installed two of these Crucial M500 - 480gb for both my wife’s and my computers.

At $205 each plus tax each - delivered ($223 total) - these are clearly outstanding for price, performance and reliability (per the experts across the internet that review these things) and I wholeheartedly agree with their assessments - if nothing else than Crucial’s use of MLC NAND chips and the Marvell 88SS9187 controller). I had to update both drives firmware from MU03 to MU05 just released about a month ago.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2726837]Yo-

Have just purchased and installed two of these Crucial M500 - 480gb for both my wife’s and my computers.

At $205 each plus tax each - delivered ($223 total) - [B][U]these are clearly outstanding for price, performance and reliability[/U][/B] (per the experts across the internet that review these things) and I wholeheartedly agree with their assessments - if nothing else than Crucial’s use of MLC NAND chips and the Marvell 88SS9187 controller). I had to update both drives firmware from MU03 to MU05 just released about a month ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Mike, the M500 is an excellent choice when it comes to value for money.

[QUOTE=vroom;2726902]I agree with you Mike, the M500 is an excellent choice when it comes to value for money.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

[B]Sorry for that post :o not enough coffee :o[/B]
Edited by Vroom.

I have this SSD, it is excellent!