Crucial M500 SSD Now Available

vbimport

Crucial M500 SSD Now Available..

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/crucial-m500-ssd-now-available-66733/](http://www.myce.com/news/crucial-m500-ssd-now-available-66733/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I am sorry about my post in the SSD sub forum, but I didnt know you were working on a news story… Its a great deal though .
I ordered a 1TB for 570 on Amazon.

No problem Alan.

You are fast, when the drive comes to you, let us know how it performs :wink:

[QUOTE=vroom;2683824]No problem Alan.

You are fast, when the drive comes to you, let us know how it performs ;)[/QUOTE]
I will post all the benches asap, as I usually do. Now I am going to try and rid myself of about 20 others. LOL.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683818]I am sorry about my post in the SSD sub forum, but I didnt know you were working on a news story… Its a great deal though .
I ordered a 1TB for 570 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Was that US$ or Euro?

US $ i think.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2683831]Was that US$ or Euro?[/QUOTE]
570.00USD for a 1TB SSD.

Lol … usually ships within 1-2 months …

[QUOTE=debro;2683897]Lol … usually ships within 1-2 months …[/QUOTE]
They always say that but in fact you get it in less than a week plus the price is locked in.

looking forward for a M4 bargain

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683839]570.00USD for a 1TB SSD.

Wow…and I can get 3TB for 130US desktop that is 130US…and 1TB HDD for ~100US. Even if it isn’t close to SSD speed the price wouldn’t justify a need for me to go SSD. Even doing a simple Capacity/Price… HDD still has more room after spending less dollars for it. But if one wants a SSD and spends the money then by all means do so. But for me and those wanting storage I will take my 7- 3TB of storage over a SSD until the price come down and size matches a HDD. I don’t see how one can afford a 3TB SSD and or let alone have NAS with 7- 3TB SSD could one just imagine that price hike. 7- 3TB SSD that would take out one’s home yearly mortage at current trend. But that assuming the price comes down to reasonable prices.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2686361]Wow…and I can get 3TB for 130US desktop that is 130US…and 1TB HDD for ~100US. Even if it isn’t close to SSD speed the price wouldn’t justify a need for me to go SSD. Even doing a simple Capacity/Price… HDD still has more room after spending less dollars for it. But if one wants a SSD and spends the money then by all means do so. But for me and those wanting storage I will take my 7- 3TB of storage over a SSD until the price come down and size matches a HDD. I don’t see how one can afford a 3TB SSD and or let alone have NAS with 7- 3TB SSD could one just imagine that price hike. 7- 3TB SSD that would take out one’s home yearly mortage at current trend. But that assuming the price comes down to reasonable prices.[/QUOTE]
This is a very reasonable price for new technology, if you want to live in the past , do so by all means. This is a preferential decision not a matter of life or death.;):bigsmile:

Plus, just like mechanical drives, the price of SSD’s is dropping. only a few months ago it would have cost the same for an SSD with half the capacity.
There are those of us who have a legitimate reason for needing the speed & size (editing uncompressed HD video or plugging into my camera to record on) so being able to buy large SSD’s means I can film longer without changing the drive over. Also means I can have larger faster drives in my laptop so I can now use that and get more layers in editing from the same machine than I did before

One of our national suppliers put out an order of 8,000 500Gb SSDs for a server farm, and said their customer justified the relatively high price by pointing out their utilities’ payment savings would cover cash-outlay for that storage vs. the same HDD storage in 2 years.

“But they wouldn’t expense-out the 4,000 1Tb SSDs - that was a 5-year balance-point instead of 8,000 500Gb ones in two.”

I don’t think consumer sales are a driving point, although I laugh at seeing the idiotic living-in-past drum-beatings as if they mean a thing. “Wot a maroon!” as Bugs said. Kind of like oldsters who can’t count to twenty when they DO take off their socks and shoes.

That’s an interesting point Christine.

Everyone is familiar with the battery extending capabilities of SSDs on laptops but I’ve never thought about the cost aspect extrapolated to that level before.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I never thought a few watts would add up cost like that either, but based on a little math, the energy saving on a large number of SSDs surely adds up in a data centre.

Based on a Toshiba 15kRPM 2.5" enterprise HDD, it uses 9 watts while active and 4.1 watts idle, so let’s say in a busy data centre it’s using 8 watts on average. Factor in power supply and UPS efficiency losses and it’s likely 10 watts from the actual grid. From what I recall, air conditioning in an average data centre uses 1.5kWh of energy to remove 1kWh of heat, which means an additional 15 watts average running the AC just to take away the heat that HDD produces. So now that’s a total of 25 watts, which is 0.025kWh continuous running.

Unlike a home PC, a server HDD runs 24/7, so that’s 0.025kWh x 24 x 365 = 219kWh per year. Based on 17c/kWh (here in Ireland, ex. VAT), that’s roughly €37/year.

An SSD typically uses less than a watt, so let’s say 0.8 watt average to simply calculating. That would make the running cost €3.7 / year or a €33.30 / year saving.

8000 x €33.30 = €266,400 / year in energy saving.

If you’ve ever suffered thru watching DALLAS or WALKER on TV, then you’ve seen the Dallas skyline. Some of the most famous landmarks there are nothing but giant server farms. Forty, fifty floors of blades and AC units, battery backups and hard disk space.

I’m sure you’ve seen pix of server rooms with aisles of rack-mounted somethings.

This 4,000 unit sale is nothing, really. That’s probably not even a tenth of one room on one floor. And they’re probably replaces 500Gb HDDs at the same time - older units, maybe IDEs. There are still kajillions of those out there.

(This is where computer service companies can do a killing on eBay - buy pallettes of 1,000 drives each for $20 or $50, then when someone needs a mainboard from that drive model, they’ll hope they’ve catalogued their $20 inventory properly. Charge $200 for that ‘recovery’ process and make a little extra money.)

I have a feeling that 4,000 unit order is toe-testing, and there are server farmers that have already proven the savings math. Now it’s a matter of finding SSDs that live up to their endurance claims, and then move to the next generation anyway.

We have film-production clients with several hundred 2-3-4Tb HDDs now, and THEIR problem with the exchange is “We haven’t amortized our hardware yet - we’re still 12 or 15 monhts from our accountants letting us get rid of those!”

[QUOTE=Seán;2686421]I never thought a few watts would add up cost like that either, but based on a little math, the energy saving on a large number of SSDs surely adds up in a data centre.

Based on a Toshiba 15kRPM 2.5" enterprise HDD, it uses 9 watts while active and 4.1 watts idle, so let’s say in a busy data centre it’s using 8 watts on average. Factor in power supply and UPS efficiency losses and it’s likely 10 watts from the actual grid. From what I recall, air conditioning in an average data centre uses 1.5kWh of energy to remove 1kWh of heat, which means an additional 15 watts average running the AC just to take away the heat that HDD produces. So now that’s a total of 25 watts, which is 0.025kWh continuous running.

Unlike a home PC, a server HDD runs 24/7, so that’s 0.025kWh x 24 x 365 = 219kWh per year. Based on 17c/kWh (here in Ireland, ex. VAT), that’s roughly €37/year.

An SSD typically uses less than a watt, so let’s say 0.8 watt average to simply calculating. That would make the running cost €3.7 / year or a €33.30 / year saving.

8000 x €33.30 = €266,400 / year in energy saving.[/QUOTE]

We are still selling our old SCSI 15K Cheetahs on Ebay, we have racks of them, already replaced.